Kanye to The banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm wondering what you would give as far as a grade for the 2010 xxl freshmen and why.  Also the 2009 freshmen in their sophomore year.

2010
Big Sean - (B) he dropped a highly anticipated mixtape that we've been waiting for a year.  But his constant delays and pushbacks of this damn mixtape, is only a B for making us wait for so long.

Donnis - (B) I loved Fashionably Late, but he needs to drop something quick

Fashawn - (B-) Grizzly City 3 was great in my opinion, loved it.  He constantly drops material and doesn't let fans know.  If you love him, it's going to be a high grade, if he's not for you..it's going to be lower.

Freddie Gibbs - I can't grade this guy for the fact that I can't get into him, so I don't want to be biased.

J. Cole : (C) until his album drops, his grade wont be higher than a C. 

Jay Rock : (F) Who?

Nipsey Hussle : (D) haven't heard too much of his music dropping. 

OJ Da Juiceman : (D) I really haven't heard too much of his music dropping this year, maybe its me :dno:

Pill : (D) same

Wiz Khalifa : (A) this guy has so much hype on him.  Love him or hate him he's on top of the game.  Doesn't have a single album out and has so much hype around him.  The music he's dropping, I love.  Kush x OJ dropped in 2010 and changed the hype for him.

2009
B.o.B : (B) in 2010 he's been nonexistent for the fact he's been rolling with his album.  But that album made him a pretty household name...mainstream too unfortunately.

Kid Cudi : (C) Until his album drops, he's been getting into so much trouble, almost tarnishing his name.  The only reason his grade his so high and not an F, two reasons:  How To Make It In America & GOOD FRIDAYS.

Wale : (B) Two reasons: More About Nothing & Twitter Freestyles.

Asher Roth : I never liked Asher, so I can't grade biased.

Currensy (B+) Until Pilot Talk 2 drops, he's steady at a B+.  I think he made a great name and buzz around him with Pilot Talk and one of the higher selling independent label selling artist.

Mickey Factz : (B-) I liked his mixtape 'I'm Better Than You'

Ace Hood : (F) WHO ?

Cory Gunz : (F) He's more about nothing.

Blu: (F) Until he drops an album, even though we all know he's working on some work right now.  This guy is a stud.

Charles Hamilton : (F) I gave up on Charles Hamilton.  He's dropped work every week it seems, but he's crazy and after his 13432235th mixtape, I gave up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,070 Posts
Jay Rock got dropped from Warner Bros., then went on to sign with Tech N9ne's Strange Music label. I don't think he's released anything since that, though.

An F for Blu? Arguably one of the most talented newcomers in the game, and some go so far as to say he's already one of the most talented in the game, period. Below the Heavens and his mixtapes don't earn anything for you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for what he did after he was named Freshmen on the cover he hasn't done anything.  I love Below the Heavens but once he drops the album, which should be great, he'll def. be on top.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,020 Posts
ya really how you gonna give big sean a better grade than j cole he doesn't have an album out either..j cole at least has a single
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
D Easy said:
based on talent or mainstream success or what?
just getting music out SINCE they were named the freshmen.

i mean you gotta look with what i'm saying for Blu, he hasn't thrown music out.  We all know he's working on something and I think he's very talented.  Same for J.Cole, he's dropping single, real good but the only one to make a buzz for themselves between Cole/Sean is Sean.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,135 Posts
JETS. said:
just getting music out SINCE they were named the freshmen.

i mean you gotta look with what i'm saying for Blu, he hasn't thrown music out.  We all know he's working on something and I think he's very talented.  Same for J.Cole, he's dropping single, real good but the only one to make a buzz for themselves between Cole/Sean is Sean.
getting music out?
so why dousn't charles hamilton get an A+ he has released like 25 mixtapes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
D Easy said:
getting music out?
so why dousn't charles hamilton get an A+ he has released like 25 mixtapes
creating a buzz by throwing music out there, quality of it.  If you don't throw anything and make a buzz for yourself, how are you showing your worthy of a title of being a freshmen class. 

Charles Hamilton went A-wall, crazy, got dropped from his label, and continued to drop 25 mixtapes that no one listens to anymore because he went crazy, dropped from his label, and disappeared from everywhere.  You deserve an A+? REALLY?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,135 Posts
based off buzz and ability to achieve mainstream success as well as
2010
Big Sean (C+) - Album being delayed, mixtape was decent, getting some hype from GOOD Fridays, small buzz
Donnis (C) - Puting out mixtapes, could go either way, small buzz
Fashawn (B) - album released was very good, small buzz tho
Freddie Gibbs (C+) - str8 killa was good, small buzz
J. Cole (B+) - great mixtape, guest verse on Jay-z album, single charted, medium buzz
Jay Rock (C-) - hasn't released much, signed with tech n9ne, small buzz
Nipsey Hussle (B-) - mixtapes are good, album on the way, guest verse on snoops album, medium buzz
Oj Da Juiceman (C+) - has a album out and a single that charted, terrible rapper, medium buzz(sadly)
Pill (C) - mixtape was decent, single for album was dope but unnoticed, small buzz
Wiz Khalifa (A-) - released independent album, probably most popular mixtape of the year, black and yellow is climbing the charts, big buzz

2009
Ace Hood (B) - he isn't great but he does have two albums out and a top 50 hit, i can't knock that
Asher Roth (B) - top ten hit, album was mediocre, mixtape was great, second album on the way
Blu (B+) - released a couple really good projects, below the heavens was great, major label deal
B.o.B (A) - 3 top ten hits, album debuted at number 1, kinda sold out thats the only reason its not a A+
Charles Hamilton (D) - all over the place, too much bad material and small amount of good, album got shelfed
Cory Gunz (D+) - no album on the way, mixtapes are decent, aligned with young money
Curren$y (A-) - released really good album independently, didn't sell well, has large fanbase
Kid Cudi (A+) - released critically acclaimed album and didn't sell out, second one out next week. Hit single. TV show, he's pretty much made it.
Mickey Factz (D-) - no album on the way, mixtapes are good but he doesn't look like hes going anywhere
Wale (B-) - got an album released but sold terribly, great mixtapes

Not listed but :dno:
Nicki (A-) - Debut on the way, hit singles, tons of guest features, very big buzz
Drake (A++) - released arguably best mixtape ever. released mixtape as album and it went gold. Debut album went platinum and had several hit singles. One of the biggest names in hip-hop right now

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
JETS. said:
2009
B.o.B : (B) in 2010 he's been nonexistent for the fact he's been rolling with his album.  But that album made him a pretty household name...mainstream too unfortunately.

Kid Cudi : (C) Until his album drops, he's been getting into so much trouble, almost tarnishing his name.  The only reason his grade his so high and not an F, two reasons:  How To Make It In America & GOOD FRIDAYS.

B.o.B (while not a fan) has been EVERYWHERE you couldn't escape 'airplanes' and 'nothin on you' and sold 150k his first week. yet you give him a B ?

Kid Cudi has obtained mainstream success and kept his cult following ( which grew astronomically). His album sold well, and was widely recognized as phenomenal with 'Pursuit of Happiness' being everywhere (without large radio play). yet you give him a C ?

Both of these guys deserve nothing less than an A for the past year in my opinion. Not shooting your list down, just adding some food for thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
EasterRoy said:
B.o.B (while not a fan) has been EVERYWHERE you couldn't escape 'airplanes' and 'nothin on you' and sold 150k his first week. yet you give him a B ?

Kid Cudi has obtained mainstream success and kept his cult following ( which grew astronomically). His album sold well, and was widely recognized as phenomenal with 'Pursuit of Happiness' being everywhere (without large radio play). yet you give him a C ?

Both of these guys deserve nothing less than an A for the past year in my opinion. Not shooting your list down, just adding some food for thought.
maybe you're not understanding.  Cudi's album came out in 2009.  What has he done in 2010 while putting out music.  i'm sure his sales were much more high in 2009 than it was in 2010. 

I made a mistake though, because I thought BOBs album came out in 2009.  My mistake on that, i forgot it was in 2010.  I know what you mean on b.o.b. but you're right Cudi in 2010...I don't know I might've not think this list through as well and messed up on a few things
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
JETS. said:
maybe you're not understanding.  Cudi's album came out in 2009.  What has he done in 2010 while putting out music.  i'm sure his sales were much more high in 2009 than it was in 2010. 

I made a mistake though, because I thought BOBs album came out in 2009.  My mistake on that, i forgot it was in 2010.  I know what you mean on b.o.b. but you're right Cudi in 2010...I don't know I might've not think this list through as well and messed up on a few things
yeah I mean yes his album didn't come out in 10' but he still has put out some music. He did the song 'cudderisback' (the one over vampire weekend) and the song over lcd soundsystem with chip tha rippa and 'erase me' did get some mainstream attention so i would still get him an A rating.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top