Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But there are more dimensions to his origins than just trauma: Jeffery was a young boy who was always drawing cartoons, who strove to make high fashion a part of his life. "I used to hustle to get Bally shoes," Thug murmurs. "Those're, like, real memories." He was seven when he first listened to Tupac Shakur songs like "Thugz Mansion," but 10 when he first heard them - it was a discovery that helped set the course of his life. "Going through things [like] deaths, victims of the streets, heartbreak, and just finding out he got these type of songs, I always double back. [I'll] play them again right now."

Young Thug wants Punk to mark the reentry of what he calls "real rap" into the culture. "[Real rap is] letting people in, letting people know what you go through. Let them know that you the same," he says. Thug has never shied away from appearing vulnerable in his music. But his social media presence has become more explicitly revealing - in 2018, he tweeted "At war with depression," and recently shared a clutch of Instagram videos containing prayers for those close to him.

"I just want to open up," Thug says. "Let people know that I'm not just a rapper, I'm a human being. Let people know whatever they go through, I done been through or somebody done been through it. Those are the things that make people grow. People that want to commit suicide, you might give them another chance."

Like every beloved popular musician with substance and staying power, Thug's fans classify his catalogue into eras. Some fans use the changing color of Thug's dreads over the years to indicate their favorite releases (the blonde dreadlocked-era Thug is frequently mentioned as a particular hot streak). Punk is the "Poet Thug" era, Be El Be says; he's even making more of an effort to enunciate his words. Thug speaks with urgency when he says he wants to speak against "wickedness" he sees every day. "The world is big on the Internet. If we can get another rapper like Tupac that the world can shine a real light on, they can really teach us. They really can teach the kids."
https://www.thefader.com/2019/08/21/young-thug-so-much-fun-cover-story

My best album would probably be Punk, because it's more like real life. It's more like Tupac. Tupac could be one of the biggest rappers in the world, because he rapped what he rapped about. I had conversations with Jay-Z and he told me, 'We gotta learn how to continue what Pac had going. Pac was a teacher. Pac teaches.' This album Punk that I'm going to put out soon is probably going to be the best album, because it really teaches you, gives you life situations, it's teaching I'm human. I am you. I am him. It's very verbal. I think it'll probably be the best album even though it's not out.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/young-thug-so-much-fun-interview-874933/

:damn:

·
Registered
14,276 Posts
Is this like a new trend in the music industry for rappers who rap about nothing to start rapping about "important" shit?
First it was Offset & now Thug

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Baby Keem said:
Is this like a new trend in the music industry for rappers who rap about nothing to start rapping about "important" shit?
First it was Offset & now Thug
if you've been paying attention he's always had songs and lines about real shit too :smh:

typical kendrick stans not actually listening to music :yawn:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts