Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
18,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the premiere of "Mercy" has had me thinking a lot about WTT and how I feel about the album months after its release, after it has really sunk in.

I think in many ways WTT was a rough draft for the G.O.O.D. Music album. Kanye was able to play around with a lot of different sounds and "Mercy" seems to feel like the natural progression from that creative process.

While I certainly loved WTT, I think a few of the things that bothered me were its lack of cohesiveness and an uncharacteristic decision from Kanye (and Jay) to remake the album after H.A.M.'s mixed reviews. As Kanye is often known for going with his creative impulse, it was strange that WTT went through such a delicate re-working. I was totally for that luxury rap sound - IMFA, HAM, even WILYS, but instead we got a kind of smorgasbord of sounds. Example, the minimalistic sound of "No Church In The Wild" and the full fledged orchestra of "Lift Off". For me, tracks like "****** In Paris," "Gotta Have It," "Who Gon Stop Me," and "Illest Motherfucker Alive" really stood out.

Anyway in looking towards the new G.O.O.D. album, which has gone through the same creative process as WTT, I hope Kanye trusts his own creative genius over popular opinion. I hope too that Mercy is a true reflection of the album's direction. (This was not the case with HAM or even Otis with WTT).

What do you guys think? How do you feel about WTT in retrospect?

·
Registered
68,477 Posts
I disagree that WTT was a rough draft or warm-up for GOOD album. You guys need to stop thinking that this is going to be like a 6th Ye solo or have kanye's sound :seanshrug:

·
Premium Member
28,180 Posts
It was dope, kanye and jayz have wonderful chemistry. Wasn't a classic, but it was great.

·
Banned
23,979 Posts
I think it's a classic. I don't skip a track...even the both tracks. It is severely underrated here and I will explain. Otis is classic Kanye and both Ye and Jay brought it. ****** in Paris transcended hip hop and is one of the most recognizable beats in awhile. Most say it's luxury rap and nothing more. Songs like New Day, Murder to Excellence, and No Church in the Wild give the album great diversity and I think most people miss that. The beats were crazy. It exceeded my high expectations. I'll admit it had an 808s effect on me and it took a few months to let me appreciate it, but that album is amazing. Two of the greatest rappers ever bringing  it on the same album.

·
Registered
18,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cole said:
I disagree that WTT was a rough draft or warm-up for GOOD album. You guys need to stop thinking that this is going to be like a 6th Ye solo or have kanye's sound :seanshrug:
I don't think that but Kanye is arguably the biggest aspect of this upcoming album. His influence over the project cannot be denied.

·
Registered
68,477 Posts
Dick Whitman said:
I don't think that but Kanye is arguably the biggest aspect of this upcoming album. His influence over the project cannot be denied.
Agreed, but there's also been multiple times where most of GOOD has recorded tracks without Kanye

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Think it was one of the biggest highlights in the careers of Kanye and Jay...just an incredible album front to back, from the raps to the production, with only minor flaws its still my AOTY for 2011, or at least tied for AOTY

·
Registered
68,477 Posts
Roxus said:
Think it was one of the biggest highlights in the careers of Kanye and Jay...just an incredible album front to back, from the raps to the production, with only minor flaws its still my AOTY for 2011, or at least tied for AOTY
Seciton 80 doe

·
Registered
18,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Illest Motherfucker Alive is one of my favorite tracks of all time though and Kanye's verse on IMFA is one of my favorites as well.

·
Registered
91,785 Posts
okstatetw said:
I think it's a classic.
Tbh. And not even because of the quality of the songs (though I love every single one). The fact that Kanye and Jay, two of the biggest names in music, came together and made an album that was by all accounts a success, is massive in itself.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts