Kanye to The banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any feedback is welcome on the song and my analysis of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lb3ijMJl7E

Link is on medium, but I'll double post.

MEDIUM LINK HERE

Oddknee's single "Gay for the Summer" Serves as the Superhero of Alt/Prog. Rock to Gay Rights Advocates and Sympathizers

Villains are considered Superheroes' mortal enemies, and they're never fully stopped by the Superhero - they're always whisked away in an armored van to prison where they eventually manage to escape and terrorize the hero. The vicious cycle perpetuated by the Superhero's moral code is a similar dynamic to that of the relationship between pro-Gay rights music and their targeted general audience; Yeah the music is great for the time being, and it serves its purpose, but the effect is short-lasting and temporary. Like the villains, the general audience is left with the ability to comeback because the imposter Superhero's effect on the audience was short-lived. No lingering effect, nothing that inspired a change in the audience's thought process towards the issue; just fast-food, feel-good music. Enter Oddknee.

Oddknee composes an alternative-rock themed summer anthem meant to inspire and captivate the general audience. He structures the song in a fashion, that on a meta-level, mocks traditionalist values ("Gay for the Summer"), and challenges the audience to seek meaning in the chorus "I'm going gay for the summer, babe". The powerful chorus resonates with the audience, forcing them to comprehend the satirical nature of the phrase's face-value intent. Essentially, Oddknee forges an emotional connection between pro-gay-rights advocates and the song with his devotion to the cause. Gay for the Summer exudes surface-level feelings of happiness, but instills in the listener, a grounded realism provoked by a satirical joke between a heterosexual couple.

Can I borrow your négligée?
In the song the chorus offers this joke as a double-entendre meant to prepare and ease the listener in to the bulk of the song. (I'm going gay, I'm searching for happiness in the summer).

From there, Oddknee's use of clever wordplay and diction properly blurs the line between summer fun, and analyzing deep issues gays face on a daily basis. The upbeat tempo reveals its whimsical and summer vibe, but upon interpreting the lyric, "You say the song, it remains the same", gay advocate listeners would liken this phrase to the plight of fighting for gay rights in America; inferring that heterosexual married couples are essentially the same as homosexual married couples. Oddknee's expert method of briefly concealing the homosexual plight in America into a condensed 3 minute song behind a feel-good, upbeat, summer single crowns him as the true Superhero.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts