Kanye to The banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always wondered how other countries taught history. It must be different right? Are the British views of the American Revolutionary War different? This has always been something I've thought of while I zone in that class.

·
Registered
14,874 Posts
During World War II, Roosevelt's Cash and Carry policy (prior to the Land Lease Act) allowed the neutral US to sell weapons to other countries while seemingly remaining neutral as long as the countries paid in cash and transported the weapons themselves (hence cash and carry).  The British had an estimated $2 billion in gold at the beginning of the war and nearly spent all of it on weapons and supplies from the US.  Since they needed to pay cash, the US would give the British a list of American properties they owned and they could sell for cash.
American historians believe this is simply the US helping the British get more cash.  British historians, however, argue that this is a conspiracy by the Roosevelt administration to dismantle the British Empire.  Just a way in which two countries have opposing viewpoints.  Those are the only two countries I've studied in and it would be interesting to see the perspective of another country. 

1 - 4 of 4 Posts