Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every day or so I'll try to briefly elaborate on the history of electronic music, what influenced which genre, what did that genre sound like, ect.

First up is the foundation of most modern electronic music which started and mostly died in the 1970s in America.

Disco
Disco started as a rebellion on rock music dominating the top charts. Details of the exact origin are not very well known, many speculate it was within the confines of some private members-only clubs in New York City which saw the origin of disco.

Hues Corporation's Rock the Boat was one of the first Disco songs to chart number one.

Other notable disco songs:
Donna Summer - I Feel Love

Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive

Lipps Inc's Funkytown was the last disco song to chart number one in the United States (May 1980) following the disco backlash.

The disco backlash was a movement by rock listeners and rock bands to take back the music industry. There was a movement which involved such slogans and "Death to Disco" and "Disco Sucks." From songs mocking disco, t-shirts, graffiti, to burning parties organized by American DJs in order to collectively burn all their disco albums and posters were held across America. This is widely known as the disco backlash.

July 12, 1979 was the day an event called the Disco Demolition Night, or known as the day disco died took place. It was a promotional event held at Comiskey Park in Chicago were carts of disco records, posters, memorabilia were collectively burned. It was described as "a mass exercise in racism and homophobia, reminiscent of Nazi book-burnings."​

Even though disco died in America, it didn't die in Europe, so naturally it continued to progress with the use of new electronic instruments.

Italo Disco

Italo Disco took what had made disco, yet made it more electronic, through heavy usage of drum machines and synthesizers giving it a more futuristic sound; coupled with several pop elements and more minor-toned melodies.

Lectric Worker's Robot is Systematic was one of the first italo disco songs to make use of vocoder vocal effects.

Hyponosis - Argonauts

Italo Disco saw some popularity in America, but it was mostly just through nightclubs.

Italo Disco is were most people think most of the foundation for electronic music was lied down.​

This is going to be way too long, so I'm going to make a master guide and just link all of the pages to that.

·
Registered
14,717 Posts
Looking forward to this. :salute:

Also it's funny how disco was a rebellion on rock, when rock was a rebellion as well. :p

·
Premium Member
9,245 Posts
I wonder if there's a moderator, who has some sort of vendetta against the OP, will end editing the whole thread to make it about something completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Synopsis said:
*shouldnt be rapped over
The irony that will ensue. :hah:

But shut up, don't troll this thread with uselessness. This is meant to be educational. :)

Thank you and have a nice day. <3

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wiz. said:
Looking forward to this. :salute:

Also it's funny how disco was a rebellion on rock, when rock was a rebellion as well. :p
Disco was a rebellion of the Black and Latino community. ;)

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BobSmith said:
I wonder if there's a moderator, who has some sort of vendetta against the OP, will end editing the whole thread to make it about something completely irrelevant.
:bitchgtfo:

I'm educating the mass from their ignorance.

·
Banned
260,958 Posts
willlopw said:
The irony that will ensue. :hah:

But shut up, don't troll this thread with uselessness. This is meant to be educational. :)

Thank you and have a nice day. <3
Be nice and maybe I'll listen.

·
Premium Member
45,036 Posts
Electronic beats are the worst thing to hit Hip-Hop. Right after Pitbull.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
This is a good call. Now people can stop saying that every song on Friend of the People is dubstep.

Even though peopel will still say it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts