Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized this today...

1) If you can't REALLY mix, any advanced stuff you try to pull will probably ruin the mix rather than improve it.
2) You can't really mix just a beat. You need vocals.
3) Any serious rapper is gonna ask for the Pro Tools session or track outs so his engineer can mix your shit.
4) When you're mixing, you're really just wasting time you could spend on making more beats.

So just make your shit presentable with a standard limiter on the master track and use volume and pan only. Don't even worry about EQing and compressing. Add delays and reverbs if they're really necessary but leave it at that + volume and panning.

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
You should worry about mixing it. You can mix instrumentals, you don't need vocals. It seems like you got it confused. Producers need to learn how to mix, because its a part of the process. It makes you a better producer overall, You have to worry about the EQ and compression, how is your beat going to even sound decent without a mix.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Why would you not worry about mixing? A good "demo" mix isn't hard at all and takes like an hour at most. And you should most def use the EQ and not just work with volume and pan.

Strange topic this tbh.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
sometimes you need to EQ individual instruments though.

also, if you want a rapper to actually "feel" your beat. It needs to sound as good as possible. They're not gonna be like "oh, my engineer will just make this sound better my mixing it down". But I see where ur coming from, it wastes time. But for me, quality >>>>quantity

·
Registered
851 Posts
Chances are, stock sounds aren't gonna bang without EQ or compression.  More likely chances are, not every sound in the mix is gonna sit well with each other without EQing out frequencies.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HVentures said:
Chances are, stock sounds aren't gonna bang without EQ or compression.  More likely chances are, not every sound in the mix is gonna sit well with each other without EQing out frequencies.
False
Your stock MPC kick is probably gonna sound better simply turned up than if you put your Fruilty Loops compressor on it
Who knows sounds better, you or the engineers who made the sound?

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ivy Crimson said:
You should worry about mixing it. You can mix instrumentals, you don't need vocals. It seems like you got it confused. Producers need to learn how to mix, because its a part of the process. It makes you a better producer overall, You have to worry about the EQ and compression, how is your beat going to even sound decent without a mix.
You can get a great rough with just panning and levels
Anyone who can't really mix is gonna fuck up EQ and compression unless its just rolling off the highs or lows

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BillyJoel said:
Why would you not worry about mixing? A good "demo" mix isn't hard at all and takes like an hour at most. And you should most def use the EQ and not just work with volume and pan.

Strange topic this tbh.
You're an idiot if you're a producer and you take an hour to mix a beat
Should take 15 minutes at most

·
Registered
851 Posts
HarlemDiplomats said:
False
Your stock MPC kick is probably gonna sound better simply turned up than if you put your Fruilty Loops compressor on it
Who knows sounds better, you or the engineers who made the sound?
It depends on the sounds one has though, like for me I don't have a lot of decent stock kits so I'm forced to at least somewhat beef em up.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HVentures said:
It depends on the sounds one has though, like for me I don't have a lot of decent stock kits so I'm forced to at least somewhat beef em up.
Even the FL stock kids are good
Same with Reason, Logic, etc

Btw if you're stacking drums never do more than 2 layers

·
Banned
5,206 Posts
HarlemDiplomats said:
2) You can't really mix just a beat. You need vocals.
really wrong. the mix of a beat can make or break a beat sometimes, imo anyway. the different sounds you can get out of the diff mixes are of amazing difference. imo.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
808s&Heartbreak said:
really wrong. the mix of a beat can make or break a beat sometimes, imo anyway. the different sounds you can get out of the diff mixes are of amazing difference. imo.
If you try to seriously mix a beat you're just gonna have no space for the artist
Just do a rough mix with no effects besides a limiter and you'll be better off

·
Banned
5,206 Posts
HarlemDiplomats said:
If you try to seriously mix a beat you're just gonna have no space for the artist
Just do a rough mix with no effects besides a limiter and you'll be better off
i still disagree lol, but its dependent I suppose, ive only given away like 2 beats ever, most of what ive done was for myself.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts