Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serious question, not trying to be disrespectful, RIP to the cops that were murdered in Baton Rouge, i'm sure they were good people who didn't deserve it

But this still begs the question, why does the american public react so differently to when a police officer is killed vs a police officer kills someone? I guess this also ties in with the fact that 'assaulting a police officer' is a harsher offense than just assaulting a citizen.

Do you believe its right/just that the lives of police officers are seen as inherently more valuable than citizen lives? So much more valuable that multiple unjust police murders can go forgiven based on the risks of the job?

idk, give me your thoughts?

·
Banned
82,145 Posts
because they arent ppl who committed crimes in society in the past or are resisting arrest

is it hard to understand that cops are better than citizens in every way possible because cops actually protect and serve. only edgy kids think they dont

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Although we hold police officers to a higher standard we see them as guardians (some people do) and so to those people, like the above, they will see it as evil vs good. Hero vs villain.

At least, that's my interpretation...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
moodie said:
is it hard to understand that cops are better than citizens in every way possible because cops actually protect and serve. only edgy kids think they dont
the ideal of police is to protect and serve, there's countless examples throughout decades of history showing that the police have been unjust and corrupt, and still continue to be to this day.

sure there are good cops, but many are just cops bc its a job. its naive to think that 100% of all police officers are all the top tier citizens and morally superior to everyone else

·
Registered
21,749 Posts
moodie said:
because they arent ppl who committed crimes in society in the past or are resisting arrest

·
Banned
82,145 Posts
LEFT BEEF said:
the ideal of police is to protect and serve, there's countless examples throughout decades of history showing that the police have been unjust and corrupt, and still continue to be to this day.

sure there are good cops, but many are just cops bc its a job. its naive to think that 100% of all police officers are all the top tier citizens and morally superior to everyone else
job or not they still do it. u dont just not thank a doctor cuz hey its there job who cares.

and ppl dont know where to draw the line from police brutality and justified killing

·
Registered
21,749 Posts
Basically because the vast majority do a fine job. Only morons generalize. They got a tough job that most won't do. Dealing with the shitty people in this country everyday is commendable.

Meanwhile the vast majority of people killed by cops are criminals, most are violent. Obviously less commendable.

·
Registered
36,416 Posts
KELYE said:
Although we hold police officers to a higher standard we see them as guardians (some people do) and so to those people, like the above, they will see it as evil vs good. Hero vs villain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sc23 said:
Meanwhile the vast majority of people killed by cops are criminals, most are violent. Obviously less commendable.
but those that aren't violent, that aren't armed or anything. do we as a society just let those slide? there's countless examples of police killing (sleeping) children, mentally ill people, and people who were just following the rules, and most of those cops don't see any kind of jail time or punishment for these actions that would otherwise be seen as terrible crimes had a citizen committed them?

Is it moral that we don't hold these very small population of police officers (let's say .05%, which would be about 50,000 cops in america that are, in fact bad) responsible for their actions? Or do we just let it go and shrug it off because they're cops and they're the resident authority?

·
Banned
8,143 Posts
When police are a little rough with a child rapist, I don't see it as a big deal. When a crazed lunatic ***** kills three police officers, it's kind of a big deal you know.

Edit: I don't mean this as a bait.

·
Banned
12,730 Posts
i dont know why some ppl think that police are supposed to be martyrs

they're still humans and have family

·
Registered
31,623 Posts
If it's an upstanding honorable cop who is just doing their job and trying to make the world a better place, those are the ones I have sympathy for if they are killed in the line of duty.

On the otherhand, the corrupt crooked cops (and their are a lot of them out there) I feel no remorse for if they happen to not make it home.

·
Banned
29,878 Posts
KELYE said:

Wow, Kelye coming correct

I'd say this is fairly accurate

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yebeatles said:
When police are a little rough with a child rapist, I don't see it as a big deal. When a crazed lunatic ***** kills three police officers, it's kind of a big deal you know.

Edit: I don't mean this as a bait.
maybe i should rephrase

why do people see it as worse when a crazed lunatic kills 3 cops than they would seeing multiple cops kill innocent people without repercussions? If we're gonna hold their life to a higher standard then shouldn't it be worse when cops murder people when they clearly shouldn't have? You expect a crazed criminal to attack police, you don't expect police, the people who are supposed to protect and serve, to be abusive of their power.

In a rlly oversimplified analogy, its bad when a child hits their parent, but worse when a parent hits their child.

·
Banned
16,010 Posts
moodie said:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
KELYE said:

I believe thats what police should be, and what they are in most situations. But we should still hold them responsible when they mess up, even more so because they are the people in authority meant to protect and serve and be the heroes of society

1 - 20 of 93 Posts