Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
12,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can halfway understand if he wanted to wanted to be in more of an executive position in fashion like he is in music. I mean, I don't know how much dressing is his own with no stylist, but he seems to have a better fashion sense than most celebrities. But every time he directly designs something it's not original. I know you could put up an argument that all fashion is taking inspiration from others and whatnot, but the people that prosper tend to put there own spin on things and it's never as vague and faux deep as when Kanye does it. Not all clothes need to have some deep rooted message, just make them look good for fucks sake.
As for his footwear, it's not bad, but I don't think any of them have been unique or well designed enough for people to really consider them fashion staples. The yeezy 750s are just a mess. The 350s are the most accessible style wise and actually acquiring them, but it's just a rip of an already popular athletic shoe silhouette. And even with the slight twist that he put on the design, it doesn't really go well with anything without standing out too much. The 950s, those other unnamed boots from YS3, and the desert boot are alright, but there's not really enough to make them desirable.
Is there some chance that he will really end up doing some highly sought out and respected shit, or is he just bound to be making yeezy seasons for the rest of his life that only get attentions from his stans?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
natsrednu said:
making yeezy seasons for the rest of his life that only get attentions from his stans?
I've seen a lot of people who I'm pretty sure aren't stans wearing Yeezys and fake yeezys because it's the trendy thing to do.

His style is just as influential as his music so why not

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
natsrednu said:
I can halfway understand if he wanted to wanted to be in more of an executive position in fashion like he is in music. I mean, I don't know how much dressing is his own with no stylist, but he seems to have a better fashion sense than most celebrities. But every time he directly designs something it's not original. I know you could put up an argument that all fashion is taking inspiration from others and whatnot, but the people that prosper tend to put there own spin on things and it's never as vague and faux deep as when Kanye does it. Not all clothes need to have some deep rooted message, just make them look good for fucks sake.
As for his footwear, it's not bad, but I don't think any of them have been unique or well designed enough for people to really consider them fashion staples. The yeezy 750s are just a mess. The 350s are the most accessible style wise and actually acquiring them, but it's just a rip of an already popular athletic shoe silhouette. And even with the slight twist that he put on the design, it doesn't really go well with anything without standing out too much. The 950s, those other unnamed boots from YS3, and the desert boot are alright, but there's not really enough to make them desirable.
Is there some chance that he will really end up doing some highly sought out and respected shit, or is he just bound to be making yeezy seasons for the rest of his life that only get attentions from his stans?
I like the shoes a lot. I see where you're coming from on the 350s, but I do like the 750s a lot. (Even though I'll probably never own a pair 😔...).

Tbh though, I think Kanye has found a good niche for himself in the fashion industry thus far. I think he's bringing a level of taste and artful design to an otherwise oversaturated, and myopic field that is athleisure. But, I do think his celebrity status hurts him in the fact that it brings so much extra pressure, that probably wouldn't be there with someone else with his experience in the industry. But, at the same time it has given him opportunities and resources that the normal person with his experience (or lackthereof) probably wouldn't be able to garner.

But, to answer your question, I guess it's apparent that he's always loved fashion and he's always had a desire to be involved in the industry, from a creative standpoint. I'm sure that passion intensified after Swift-Gate when he got his opportunity to intern. And I think it's heightened over the years from
A.) dipping his toe in the pool with Nike and the DW line.
B.) being told so much that he can't do it.

It parallels his career as a rapper quite a bit. And I think the criticism only motivates him more.

·
Banned
12,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wishbone said:
I've seen a lot of people who I'm pretty sure aren't stans wearing Yeezys and fake yeezys because it's the trendy thing to do.

His style is just as influential as his music so why not
Footwear is a different beast than fashion. It's an easier crowd to appeal to, and Kanye already had hype from previous collabs
And his style is only as the influential to his music to a degree. Kanye has yet to receive praise from fashion veterans the way he has been praised by people like Paul McCartney and Lou reed

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
natsrednu said:
Kanye has yet to receive praise from fashion veterans the way he has been praised by people like Paul McCartney and Lou reed
But how often does this happen to anyone? and it's probably not going to happen anytime soon because like he's said many times before, as a rapper coming into this industry, you're already looked down on but I don't think getting that praise suddenly qualifies him as a serious designer or not. You also have to consider his fashion career is still in the very early stages compared to his music career so who knows what could happen.

I doubt he'll ever be creative director of Hermes, that's extremely far fetched, but I don't think he has to limit his creative exploits either. He's clearly multifaceted, it's just the fashion industry is a lot more elitist than many others and if he had decided to become a movie director, people wouldn't question it as much.

I'm not a huge fan of the clothing but I think it would be getting a much different response if he hadn't been a rapper beforehand.

·
Registered
20,572 Posts
natsrednu said:
Been the most influential for like 10 years bro, you make it sound like this shits a fluke

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
natsrednu said:
Footwear is a different beast than fashion. It's an easier crowd to appeal to, and Kanye already had hype from previous collabs
And his style is only as the influential to his music to a degree. Kanye has yet to receive praise from fashion veterans the way he has been praised by people like Paul McCartney and Lou reed
You're saying he has yet to receive praise from fashion veterans when huge companies are copying his clothing and selling it for cheaper. Such as forever 21 and Zara. They basically stole all his ideas and just ripped the yeezy season name off of it. You're doubting this man way too much. He's very influential with fashion if anything it's taking over his music at this point. Also, Steve Madden made knock off yeezy shoes. So you're wrong just because the designers of High end clothing aren't saying anything to him doesn't mean shit he doesn't need praise from them assholes

·
Registered
18,497 Posts
italianyeezus said:
You're saying he has yet to receive praise from fashion veterans when huge companies are copying his clothing and selling it for cheaper. Such as forever 21 and Zara. They basically stole all his ideas and just ripped the yeezy season name off of it. You're doubting this man way too much. He's very influential with fashion if anything it's taking over his music at this point. Also, Steve Madden made knock off yeezy shoes. So you're wrong just because the designers of High end clothing aren't saying anything to him doesn't mean shit he doesn't need praise from them assholes
They're always taking his ideas without credit, Yeezy more inspirational then people make it seem

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
Ricky Roller said:
They're always taking his ideas without credit, Yeezy more inspirational then people make it seem
Exactly!! These designers are inspired by Him they just won't admit it because of who he is

1 - 20 of 45 Posts