Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Banned
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a convo with some of my homies about JAY Z from 2001 - present day.

They were saying that "he lost his heart" and they they dont relate to a mogul.

My rebuttal was that, he's rapping from HIS life perspective. Its not a bad thing that his rap content in sometimes unrelatable. If anything, I should inspire you to reach those heights.

They said they'd take the Vol series over the Blueprint series.

I mentioned that Jay's issues are all relative. Just because you have money/fame, you still have human being issues.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BKs Finest said:
because regular people can't relate to that shit.
So rappers should only talk about "regular" shit?

Why dont his raps inspire and motivate?

·
Registered
25,306 Posts
It's undeniable that Jay's content is limited now but when you're worth half a billion dollars and you're married to Beyonce what is there to talk about other than living the good life? lol

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
It's the paradox of hip-hop :kanyeshrug:

People love to see and hear a rapper come up from the ghetto, but don't wanna hear what they have to say from the top.

In Jay's case he hasn't really diversified his subject matter much.. a lot of rappers start talking about world problems and larger issues but I personally haven't really heard that from him

·
Registered
22,121 Posts
mg248 said:
No they can talk about what they want. Lazy people prob don't wanna hear about success cause they know they'll never get it being lazy

chamillionaire said:
maybe its the dip in quality they're upset about.
this too

·
Banned
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2-ill said:
It's undeniable that Jay's content is limited now but when you're worth half a billion dollars and you're married to Beyonce what is there to talk about other than living the good life? lol
The notion of "what is there to talk about..." keeps hihp hop/rap in such a small close minded shell.

Just because you're living the "good life" doesnt mean that you cant tap about that.

Frank Sinatra sang till he died in his 80s and always made songs about the good life.

Why does hip hop look down on success on that level?

We say "keep it real", but when Jay does that, we want him to rap about "the streets"

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
mg248 said:
The notion of "what is there to talk about..." keeps hihp hop/rap in such a small close minded shell.

Just because you're living the "good life" doesnt mean that you cant tap about that.

Frank Sinatra sang till he died in his 80s and always made songs about the good life.

Why does hip hop look down on success on that level?

We say "keep it real", but when Jay does that, we want him to rap about "the streets"
There are more things to rap about than selling crack on the streets or being rich :parrot:

There are plenty of subjects he could touch on that transcend wealth

·
Banned
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FRB said:

People love to see and hear a rapper come up from the ghetto, but don't wanna hear what they have to say from the top.

In Jay's case he hasn't really diversified his subject matter much.. a lot of rappers start talking about world problems and larger issues but I personally haven't really heard that from him
Real shit.

Jay has addressed "world problems" somewhat tho.

MCHG addresses the complexity of having "new money" in a white mans world. But a lot people couldnt get pass the bragging

·
Banned
16,947 Posts
mg248 said:

Why dont his raps inspire and motivate?
they do but i rather hear real shit, not about material crap and stupid raps about drugs all the time. i don't relate to that shit

·
Banned
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FRB said:

Had to quote this again.

This post needs it own thread

whew

·
Banned
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BKs Finest said:
they do but i rather hear real shit, not about material crap and stupid raps about drugs all the time. i don't relate to that shit
So by "real shit" you're talking along the lines of Common/Kendrick?

·
Banned
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BKs Finest said:
or like like Jay-Z Blue, Heaven, or Nickles & Dimes tracks he released on MCHG
Lol, he made those songs!

They were all on the same album.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
mg248 said:
Had to quote this again.

This post needs it own thread

whew
It seems like too often though, people just don't have enough to say from the top, or they just don't really care enough

I don't know Jay's discog well enough to comment specifically on him but a lot of rappers seems to lose dedication and persuasiveness after reaching some level of success. Nas comes to mind - his debut was obviously fantastic, but after that he either seemed to rap about life on the street (not genuine when you're a millionaire, and seemed like a rehash of previous stuff) or try to touch on world problems like racism, which he did kind of ineffectively (think the "Untitled" album)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts