Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Much Less Than An Obsession, But More Of An Appreciation For Kanye West"

I admire Kanye West and have been a die hard fan of Kanye, dating back since the beginning of his rapping career, while I was a student in elementary school. The music Kanye releases is amazing and he continues to satisfy my music tastes, even to present day. Even more so, I am intrigued by Kanye as an artist and as a person. I have always wondered if I was the only one with strong opinions towards Kanye, and felt that my peers aren't able to understand the artist as coherently as I do. The matter of the fact is that ultimately Kanye has allowed for me to learn about the many aspects of the lives of others and effectively, my own life. I have, both in the past and currently, continue to criticize Kanye for many of the mistakes (or what I view as mistakes) known to the public that he has committed within his life, some that seem unknown to him (i.e. such as being a hypocrite, mediocre; in terms of rapping and his fashion choice, possibly someone who is too arrogant to change, the dropping of rapper Consequence on his G.O.O.D. Music Record Label, his relationship with Amber Rose, and recently with Kim Kardashian, etc.) Yet, I strongly feel that his flaws aren't necessarily pointless, since they help shape Kanye to the person he presently is, or claims to be. Particularly, I know a lot about Kanye West and the topics that surround him. However, normally, I consider myself to be an hip-hop historian and someone that is fluently familiar with the American rap culture. Popular culture, generally, has always been an interest to me. My concern is that now that I am a senior in high school and nearly an adult, I question the purpose of studying Kanye West.

To everyone registered on this website, I have a question that I would like to ask.

Why am I so interested in Kanye West?

Also, please answer the question appropriately. Thank you for your time, consideration, and influence.

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
Agit said:
felt that my peers aren't able to understand the artist as coherently as I do. The matter of the fact is that ultimately Kanye has allowed for me to learn about the many aspects of the lives of others and effectively, my own life
this is me right here

why i spend so much time on here, it's almost like im brainwashed though in a community with people that have the same thoughts and opinions as me

·
Premium Member
9,544 Posts
Agit said:

I admire Kanye West and have been a die hard fan of Kanye, dating back since the beginning of his rapping career, while I was a student in elementary school. The music Kanye releases is amazing and he continues to satisfy my music tastes, even to present day. Even more so, I am intrigued by Kanye as an artist and as a person. I have always wondered if I was the only one with strong opinions towards Kanye, and felt that my peers aren't able to understand the artist as coherently as I do. The matter of the fact is that ultimately Kanye has allowed for me to learn about the many aspects of the lives of others and effectively, my own life. I have, both in the past and currently, continue to criticize Kanye for many of the mistakes (or what I view as mistakes) known to the public that he has committed within his life, some that seem unknown to him (i.e. such as being a hypocrite, mediocre; in terms of rapping and his fashion choice, possibly someone who is too arrogant to change, the dropping of rapper Consequence on his G.O.O.D. Music Record Label, his relationship with Amber Rose, and recently with Kim Kardashian, etc.) Yet, I strongly feel that his flaws aren't necessarily pointless, since they help shape Kanye to the person he presently is, or claims to be. Particularly, I know a lot about Kanye West and the topics that surround him. However, normally, I consider myself to be an hip-hop historian and someone that is fluently familiar with the American rap culture. Popular culture, generally, has always been an interest to me. My concern is that now that I am a senior in high school and nearly an adult, I question the purpose of studying Kanye West.

To everyone registered on this website, I have a question that I would like to ask.

Also, please answer the question appropriately. Thank you for your time, consideration, and influence.
Welcome to the family :salute:

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
OP I know you're a senior in high school but take it easy a little bit. If you have an interest in American rap culture, or American culture in general, you can't help but give a lot of thought to Ye. He's one of the only celebrities that acts however they want and isn't trying to manipulate the public into falling in love with him. He has one of the most consistent discographies in hip-hop mostly thanks to his ear as a producer, but he can't sing. He's full of contradictions and just interesting.

The things that he does, the music he puts out and the way people react to them are a reflection of modern American culture and have been since College Dropout. What other rappers or even musicians from that time have stayed as relevant as him? Even the part of America that hates him loves to hate him.

And at the end of the day you can forget about that shit and just enjoy the music. He's kind of like Bob Dylan in that way.

Lyrically too he is not the best but thematically he's on point and he has some hot lines.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Agit said:

My concern is that now that I am a senior in high school and nearly an adult, I question the purpose of studying Kanye West.
no comment to that....

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Agit said:
I have always wondered if I was the only one with strong opinions towards Kanye, and felt that my peers aren't able to understand the artist as coherently as I do. The matter of the fact is that ultimately Kanye has allowed for me to learn about the many aspects of the lives of others and effectively, my own life.

Damn, you hit it on the head. Ever since my first listen of CD, i had this weird type of connection as it felt like I had personally met him and just made a new life long friend. From then on, I've been a die-hard Ye fan.
I don't know. Alot of his music feels like he knows my life so well that its kinda weird. From Spaceship to Addiction to I Wonder to Runaway, and its so many more tracks that he has made which make me feel like he picked my brain and made it for me because I can feel exactly where he's coming from and going thru.

Long story short, Ye is just that *****.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Agit said:

I'm just removed from college and study him more then I did as a senior in high school, as 808s dropped during my first semester of college in the Fall of 08, which I believe most psyche based studies on him would start.

At the school I attended they had a class called Lady GaGa and the Psychology of Fame, which is a high level PSYC class for PSYC majors. I feel an incredible human psychology class could be taught on Kanye and would actually like to either teach it one day or help organize the curriculum for it.

Basically what I'm saying is, I fully agree and if you go to a good University you can explore a ton of different options like this and I think he is one of the absolute best people you can study.

·
Registered
19,195 Posts
-Hit after hit.

-Changes his music up.

-Works with new artist that he usually discovered.

-Was very outspoken now quiet.

-Awesome tours.

-No or little info on upcoming albums just as Apple gives no info on their new iPhone makes the phone more appealing then if they hyped it up themselves.

-Respected by many in the industry.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts