Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this career so much :banderas:

Ed, Edd n' Eddy inspired me at first to become an Artist/Cartoonist so I kept drawing and drawing

Then I got into the Legend of Zelda series :whew: when I first played Ocarina of Time D: And then I touched Majora's Mask and that did it, I was interested in going further than just hand drawing :oh:

Finished college and got Bachelors Degree of Fine Art :banderas: Not only do I got love for the Arts but the money follows suit and it's GOAT having your own Freelancing shit to the side until you actually break away from actual employment and run your own real business :whew:

i love it fam :jordancry:

anyone else love their major/career/interests or don't know where tf they're going yet tbh

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I still have no idea what ima do in life yet but I guess it's okay since I'm going into junior year.

I make beats as a hobby and I've recently been taking steps towards selling them (not for alot,  but I feel as if Im good enough to not be doing it for free, because you know the saying along the lines of "never do anything for free that youre skilled at" idk what it is exactly)

I've been looking into making apps (coding in general I guess) and being an entrepreneur (selling beats is part of it but I'd rather make a career out of selling some other type of product/service)

I also am decent at photoshop :ninja:
:maybe:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Genghis said:
do you have a real job OP?
:bronwhat: what do you mean by real?

Not sure if you tried to offend or something

edit: was watching a vid on the way people look down on artists and one example was people asking a photographer if they had a "real" job [spoiler/]

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Teenage Anakin said:

edit: was watching a vid on the way people look down on artists and one example was people asking a photographer if they had a "real" job [spoiler/]
no seriously like do you have a job doing art or is it just freelance stuff?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Genghis said:
no seriously like do you have a job doing art or is it just freelance stuff?
Ahhh sorry fam I thought you were saying Op doesn't have a "real" job... I'm just passionate with arts so I was like :respeck:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Teenage Anakin said:
Ahhh sorry fam I thought you were saying Op doesn't have a "real" job... I'm just passionate with arts so I was like :respeck:
oops thought you were OP. i wanna go to college for design so i was just wondering

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Genghis said:
oops thought you were OP. i wanna go to college for design so i was just wondering
That's amazing fam, designing is something I know I can be quite good at I love just looking cuz I know I can't make it. Music is my priority so I always feel if I take days to try to learn designing, I will miss out on practicing music :floyd: where do you wanna go with designing?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Teenage Anakin said:
That's amazing fam, designing is something I know I can be quite good at I love just looking cuz I know I can't make it. Music is my priority so I always feel if I take days to try to learn designing, I will miss out on practicing music :floyd: where do you wanna go with designing?
working for IKEA designing furniture would be so dope. i just always feel like im better at improving designs than coming up with my own and its really frustrating. im taking a careers in design class and a music studio class this year so hopefully ill find out what i want to do

·
Registered
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Genghis said:
do you have a real job OP?
yeah fam I do Graphic Design and Marketing at this company called Chocolate Works its p cool.

Pay could be much better. Only problem with most hourly paying Graphic Design jobs is your Art belongs to the company, therefore your Art and talent/skills go much less than they would off the book to a client.

Example, you design a logo for the company or something p sure it'll be with your regular "$X.00/hour" pay as opposed to making bank if it was a freelance project.

So I have that job + a freelance thing I do to the side. Currently I am working on a couple logo projects and Illustrating a Children's book for this Author. These projects make me some nice bank honestly

·
Registered
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haaahn said:
I still have no idea what ima do in life yet but I guess it's okay since I'm going into junior year.

I make beats as a hobby and I've recently been taking steps towards selling them (not for alot,  but I feel as if Im good enough to not be doing it for free, because you know the saying along the lines of "never do anything for free that youre skilled at" idk what it is exactly)

I've been looking into making apps (coding in general I guess) and being an entrepreneur (selling beats is part of it but I'd rather make a career out of selling some other type of product/service)

I also am decent at photoshop :ninja:
:maybe:
yeah man its best to go for what you love than what makes money. lot of uncreative people go for where money is but lack passion for anything, thus not interested in what they're probably stuck doing for the rest of their lives.

do what you could and as many side hobbies/passions as you want, just make sure you have a main "central" one with those. don't overwork yourself too

yeah it's usually hard doing freelance to find proper price for certain projects :hah:

·
Registered
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Teenage Anakin said:

i thought the same at first :hah:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
YM Salute said:
yeah fam I do Graphic Design and Marketing at this company called Chocolate Works its p cool.

Pay could be much better. Only problem with most hourly paying Graphic Design jobs is your Art belongs to the company, therefore your Art and talent/skills go much less than they would off the book to a client.

Example, you design a logo for the company or something p sure it'll be with your regular "$X.00/hour" pay as opposed to making bank if it was a freelance project.

So I have that job + a freelance thing I do to the side. Currently I am working on a couple logo projects and Illustrating a Children's book for this Author. These projects make me some nice bank honestly
damn yeah that kinda sucks but at least you're improving your skill :mm:

·
Registered
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Teenage Anakin said:
keep practicing fam. even if you not good at it you'd probably find stress relief from just making some form of Art on paper or wherever :he:

make music your priority and main source of focus while putting some time to the side to learn drawing or Photoshop tutorials, etc.

I love designing. I have this one style that I'm working with called Low-Poly designs that my professor believes should go no less than $200 a piece :whew:

Genghis said:
working for IKEA designing furniture would be so dope. i just always feel like im better at improving designs than coming up with my own and its really frustrating. im taking a careers in design class and a music studio class this year so hopefully ill find out what i want to do
that would be dope fam

here's what. start designing and keep designing and put on IG (with a watermark) and hashtag the fuck outta those. certainly some important people would see it and follow you/get contact. I've been doing that lately and will get back into doing my low-poly designs of celebrities to get myself out there more after I finish these projects.

·
Registered
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Genghis said:
damn yeah that kinda sucks but at least you're improving your skill :mm:
yeah i like the job, love the people (caught feelings for this one girl at my job :sadblu:), and its a nice environment, local, and shit.

but i have no plans whatsoever to stay with them even tho its a fast-growing company that will be real huge p fast. cause I know being a Designer the world is pretty much at my disposal and it's easy to self-employ myself.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
YM Salute said:
keep practicing fam. even if you not good at it you'd probably find stress relief from just making some form of Art on paper or wherever :he:

make music your priority and main source of focus while putting some time to the side to learn drawing or Photoshop tutorials, etc.

I love designing. I have this one style that I'm working with called Low-Poly designs that my professor believes should go no less than $200 a piece :whew:
that would be dope fam

here's what. start designing and keep designing and put on IG (with a watermark) and hashtag the fuck outta those. certainly some important people would see it and follow you/get contact. I've been doing that lately and will get back into doing my low-poly designs of celebrities to get myself out there more after I finish these projects.
bet. gonna get started with that tomorrow. do you contact people for your freelance stuff or do they hit you up first?

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
OP, if you don't mind me asking, can I see your IG? you can pm it if you want but this low poly stuff seems cool

·
Registered
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Genghis said:

you behind this OP? :perv:
:cryhah:

nah fam. some side web team they had to program and code it etcetc. i can't code just design, and now they're getting another company to revamp the whole site due to problems and legal issues going between my job and them :hah:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts