Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously Lupe had some career missteps and label issues, but how does a lot of hip hop see J. Cole and Kendrick as potential top 10-25 rappers while Lupe doesn’t get mentioned?

In terms of skill and lyricism he should definitely be up there, and F&L, the Cool, and T&Y are great albums that definitely hold up next to GKMC/TPAB/Sxn 80 or FHD/FNL/KOD (or whatever J Cole’s top 3 are)

Can Lupe’s career really be discounted so much when a lot of his downfall was out of his control? And how do we know these current rappers in his lane won’t have a similar trajectory to him or Em from here on out?

:khaled:

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
D V R K W A V E S said:
Also Born Sinner is def top 3 cole before fucking KOD lmao
I don’t listen to cole like that and I’m not in tune with his fanbase so I didn’t know how they see it

I remember Born sinner being pretty bad tho

G

·
Entergalactic Void said:
I don’t listen to cole like that and I’m not in tune with his fanbase so I didn’t know how they see it

I remember Born sinner being pretty bad tho
Born Sinner is a great album and arguably his best.

But to answer your question him and Kendrick both top 10, so is Cudi.

G

·
Prob top 15-20 for me. If he only dropped f&l, the cool, t&y and drogas wave and his mixtapes he'd be top 10 for sure

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m with all the jokes I’ve definitely clowned on Lupe at different points in his career but when looking at his career objectively I don’t see how the early part of his career and his comeback don’t put him in the discussion

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I think he should be around the top 25 at the very least, he has a great discography and he's one of the greatest lyricists ever. Personally speaking, I got him in my top 10

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Without Lupe and his career path step by step as it went... There'd be no Kendrick and it's not debatable... He has the highest of the highest possible respect from Jay and Nas... Was in a "group" with prime Kanye and prime Pharrell.... He has at least two indisputable classics...  Is the most commercially successful super lyrical miracle rapper ever as well... That's where he ranks.

Edit: And if Chilly never got arrested, Lupe would have been as big as current day Kendrick. Easily. He was out here on his own. Chilly was the Top Dawg to Lupe, for anyone that doesn't know. He had all of the street connections, was close with Jay and that's how he connected with Lu, etc. Him going behind bars was a bigger trajectory altering for Lupe then Jay last minute backing out of his president deal at Atlantic... Which was the reason Lu signed there in the first place.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
He's my fifth man, lyrically tho he might be the toughest son of a bitch alive so seeing people underrate him or flat out just leaving him out of the convos deadass saddens me

1 - 20 of 60 Posts