Kanye to The banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember when I first heard him perform it live, I thought the lyrics were crazy but I had no idea it would blow up like it did. I thought the verses was going to go over people heads but Matthew's voice got em..

I remember it took a while for it to catch on

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
I know Matthew Santos didn't

"i'll never understand why people dig "superstar" so much...not complaining, just honestly baffled at its life span... 10:00 AM Feb 17th via web "

:problem?:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
king. said:
yes it had all the right mainstream appeal

jus like the snippet from his new single now
Exactly is was designed to be a hit, the majority of the masses like how it sounded but I bet a lot of them didn't realize a lot of the lyrics in that song had 2 or 3 meanings...

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
Dan The Fiasco said:
Exactly is was designed to be a hit, the majority of the masses like how it sounded but I bet a lot of them didn't realize a lot of the lyrics in that song had 2 or 3 meanings...
of course not lol

·
Premium Member
8,611 Posts
People hear the opening to the hook "If you are what you say you are, a Superstar..." and think the song's about being famous or some shit. Guaranteed you play the song to 20 people on the street, 19 of them think it's about being or getting famous.

·
Registered
56,642 Posts
DrMonkey said:
I know Matthew Santos didn't

"i'll never understand why people dig "superstar" so much...not complaining, just honestly baffled at its life span... 10:00 AM Feb 17th via web "

:problem?:
Doom said:
People hear the opening to the hook "If you are what you say you are, a Superstar..." and think the song's about being famous or some shit. Guaranteed you play the song to 20 people on the street, 19 of them think it's about being or getting famous.

·
Registered
56,642 Posts
I find it deeply ironic that the beat and general "vibe" of the song is that it's upbeat and catchy, but that the lyrics themselves and the double meanings behind the whole track are dark and melancholy.

Lu said he had to transcribe these dark stories on "these sort of poppy, mainstream beats" so that it "would sneak past the radio" and to the masses.  This song is the zenith of that strategy.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Coldplay Expert said:
I find it deeply ironic that the beat and general "vibe" of the song is that it's upbeat and catchy, but that the lyrics themselves and the double meanings behind the whole track are dark and melancholy.

Lu said he had to transcribe these dark stories on "these sort of poppy, mainstream beats" so that it "would sneak past the radio" and to the masses.  This song is the zenith of that strategy.
I agree with that!

·
Registered
56,642 Posts
"Intruder Alert", though, gives it a run for its money.  The beat is as close to Coldplay's "Clocks" as it gets, and yet, the track deals with some pretty damn serious issues in just a few minutes, just a few verses.  I mean, abuse... rape... depression ... true love ... addiction ... theft ... homelessness... immigration... disasters... deportation... war... how many topics can you hit in under four minutes so deftly?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Coldplay Expert said:
"Intruder Alert", though, gives it a run for its money.  The beat is as close to Coldplay's "Clocks" as it gets, and yet, the track deals with some pretty damn serious issues in just a few minutes, just a few verses.  I mean, abuse... rape... depression ... true love ... addiction ... theft ... homelessness... immigration... disasters... deportation... war... how many topics can you hit in under four minutes so deftly?
Only Lu can do that, pack a whole history lesson or a days worth of news and PSA's into a 4 minute song!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Doom said:

·
Registered
352 Posts
the average radio listener does not understand the lyrical genius of superstar...they just think the song has a great hook...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
staterun said:
the average radio listener does not understand the lyrical genius of superstar...they just think the song has a great hook...
we exist in a culture and society that embraces stupid,... they can't understand it?... then they push it away, call it whack, say that's weak... most people won't even try to figure out the lyrics anymore... hooks are called hooks for a reason these days, it's the only part of the song most people know or can figure out, and it hooks em.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
no

G

·
I hate how people say that's his only good song, probably cause that's the only one they've heard! People need to get with it, Lupe could rap circles around 90% of the game.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts