Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not even trying to make some "reach" argument, but this song is considered as one of the greatest protest songs of all time and Ye is simping about of girl on it?

I like the song, but the sample kind of doesn't make sense.

Banned
Kabel said:
Not even trying to make some "reach" argument, but this song is considered as one of the greatest protest songs of all time and Ye is simping about of girl on it?

I like the song, but the sample kind of doesn't make sense.
Fuck you. That's what. :cmon:

Registered
I actually agree. When I first heard New Slaves then I saw Blood On The Leaves, I thought it was gonna be about modern slavery or something. Kinda disappointed. Still a great track tho.

Registered
yeah i've been wondering about this. unless there's some meaning im completely missing, i think he inappropriately sampled that song.

Registered
Maybe with the sample Ye was trying to keep the "slavery" theme throughout the album. But for Blood on the leaves, slaves to what we can't see?

Before the limelight tore ya
Before the limelight stole ya

Before they call lawyers
Before you tried to destroy us

probably slaves to the perception of that "American dream" hence blood on the leaves from picking cotton (throwing it back to that slavery topic)

Banned
nc.zus. said:
yeah i've been wondering about this. unless there's some meaning im completely missing, i think he inappropriately sampled that song.
How about the music sounded good. Is that a reason? :cmon:

Registered
Yeah I think there might not be any real significance to it. I think Kanye just liked how the sample sounded and used it. And the sample DOES sound cool, but the lyrics just sound weird juxtaposed with lyrics about girls and poppin mollys and shit.

Registered
he's saying how hard it is to find happiness in the modern life and comparing those feelings of frustration to the residual anger lots of people feel for the era when there was lynching and shit

Registered
he fucked up, still one of my faves from the album and i love the 'WHEN YOU POPPED YOUR FIRST MOLLYYY' emotions, but wish it had some sort of social commentary / relevancy to strange fruit (cite lupe Strange Fruition)

Registered
I'm fine with sample, doesn't fit, but it sound awesome. One thing that bothers me is the title of the song. It shouldn't be called Blood on the Leaves.

Registered
I thought it was strange to use the Strange Fruit sample on what is basically a love song. It almost seems disrespectful in some way to use such a powerful song to moan about woman problems...

I still like the song though. :kanyeshrug:

Registered
This isn't the first time Kanye sampled this song. He obviously know the meaning behind.

He tried to flip the meaning & put it to say something knew.

It's like the ideas on New Slaves or Chain Heavy. Chain Heavy coming from a black man would've meant something completely different a century again.

In that context the sample really makes you think. "Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze" take on a completely different meaning & strange fruit can either refer to drugs or something more sexual.

I haven't really figured it out for myself but I think it's important to stop & think about it before writing it off as disrespectful.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts