Kanye to The banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sitting here thinking what's the point of college. I've had like three weeks off or so to study for my tests, like two every week. I've failed the first test miserably already since I missed a couple of classes because I was doing a different major. Yesterday we had a test for Statics, but our retarded professor has these mini quizzes he has us make every week. The total points you have in the end of all of them have to be more then 30% if it's lower you can't make the test until January; obviously me missing some classes I didn't get the 30% also (although admittedly I could've gotten it if I worked harder but meh..).
Next week I have Calculus, which I thought might be the only test I can still succeed, but right now I'm seriously doubting it and Material science is going to be a bitch. But anyway...

The TL;DR version/point of thread: what's really the point of going to college? Just to get a piece of paper that proves you've done this study. I think that's just BS because I feel that I can succeed everything a college offers all by myself. Lectures aren't really needed and tests are just a way to test you to see if you understood the course. I'm thinking of taking this year off since i'm not sure that MechEng is what I want to do, maybe work a little but idk my mom will prolly kill me. If I do even stick with MechEng i'd want to start a company, but meh idk

Anyway, the post might not make much sense anymore I just needed to get that out of my head. Now I'm going to *try* to study for the Mat. Science test. >_>

·
Banned
5,206 Posts
LOL the tl;dr is almost the same length as the original.
but some people like college.
its a personal opinion really.
i wouldnt recommend you quit if youve invested money or your parents money or whoever's money though, kinda wasteful.
im going to college but only for something dealing with music, the rest idrc about.

·
Premium Member
11,905 Posts
the TL;DR version wasn't much shorter though :p even though I read it all, I guess college is just a proof that you've done your work

·
Registered
11,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha yeah, I realized that after writing it :p

I'm not really worried about the money, I have till February to cancel the loan I took and I don't think I have to pay it back then.

·
Banned
5,206 Posts
okay well i suppose this is all up to you then since you have nothing to lose haha. :p
personally i recommend you just stay in college, it can only help.
unless you have a great opportunity that will pass over you.

·
Registered
966 Posts
zenith92 said:
The TL;DR version/point of thread: what's really the point of going to college? Just to get a piece of paper that proves you've done this study. I think that's just BS because I feel that I can succeed everything a college offers all by myself. Lectures aren't really needed and tests are just a way to test you to see if you understood the course.
It sounds like you're rationalizing. If you can succeed at everything a college offers all by yourself than college should be a breeze. If were to do you're own thing you would have to figure out the material by yourself and then prove that you understand it in real life, instead of just reading what's assigned and proving you understand it, which one sounds easier? Also, starting your own company is way harder than getting through college.

·
Registered
11,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thatone said:
It sounds like you're rationalizing. If you can succeed at everything a college offers all by yourself than college should be a breeze. If were to do you're own thing you would have to figure out the material by yourself and then prove that you understand it in real life, instead of just reading what's assigned and proving you understand it, which one sounds easier? Also, starting your own company is way harder than getting through college.
It's not a breeze, but in the end no one can help you but yourself. Some professors admit that they're only copying stuff from the book and just basically reading it for you. Except for questions when you don't understand something, they are pretty pointless, at least that's what I noticed from my first 2 months. But meh, I think in the end I'll just stick it out and get at least a bachelor degree. I feel as if I ruined this year already after making the test monday. I wasn't motivated before that and right now I'm even less motivated.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I think college is good for some people.

I would prefer a program where we can pick what we want to do for a career, and learn the skills specific to it. I like to learn, but I dont see how geography, political science, social drugs, race/class/gender studies, is going to help me become an elementary school teacher.. I dont think im going to teach my 3rd grade students about sexual orientation or how to tell if a cold front is approaching.

That being said, its nice to meet educated people, and actually have a grown ass conversation.

·
Registered
48,640 Posts
Here is my take on it, and it may seem harsh, but its how the world works.  As much as people don't understand the point of college and don't want to go through it and think its unnecessary, well thats fine.  BUT, don't expect to get very far in life without it.  Thats how the world works now.  Without that little piece of paper that says you did it, your not going anywhere.  Just do what you got to do and get it over with. Don't sit around and waste time and take a year off, because its just going to be the same thing once you go back. 

Your throwing a year of your life away.  During that year you want to take off, what would you do??  Work?  well thats great, but without college your never going to have a career to support yourself.  Don't waste time.  Get it done.

·
Banned
85,044 Posts
my history teacher once told me that the SATS have nothing to do with how smart you are, it just proves that you know how to take tests.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
Twisted said:
LOOB KTT USERS WERE SO FRIENDLY 3 YEARS AGO :hah:
Bonne st-jean le gros ! LOL hahaha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts