Kanye to The banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
FLASHINGSTREETLIGHTS said:
how do you get into kanye with 808s. i cant comprehend that.  :kanyeshrug:
I agree. Seriously 808's was trash and not a hiphop album imo. I feel like kanye stans care about his beats, melodies instead of his lyrics.

·
Banned
13,545 Posts
Timesitheus said:
I got into Kanye when 808s was released and went back and listened to his shit
first problem

for most (or some?) of us we've seen the progression of the artist starting with this here classic. when it first dropped it brought the classic soul sampling sound to the mainstream and was a landmark album for hip hop and the introduction of someone who was doing something completely different from gangsta rap

see getting into kanye around 808s just isnt the same. its a different game now with guys like cudi and drake running mainstream rap and to fully appreciate his albums you'd have to also recognize the significance of them in hip hop history. without kanye, no cudi or drake btw

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
and when did people stop caring about his song meanings. What happened to Addiction, Heard em Say, Hey Mama, Jesus Walks, Spaceship, and Through the Wire

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
aRe_Jay said:
Seriously 808's was trash and not a hiphop album imo.
Well no shit it wasn't a hip-hop album, that's one thing that is so impressive about it.

I feel like kanye stans care about his beats, melodies
Yeah, it sure doesn't make a lot of since for us to appreciate him for what he originally did, and what he does very, very well

instead of his lyrics.
As if to say that the lyrics on 808s are bad? Dawg, to each his own I guess, but Street Lights is lyrically amazing to me.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
Plus if ur in college of have experienced college....the whole album makes sense! It's actually the album I play in order to study...ironic lol

G

·
aRe_Jay said:
I agree. Seriously 808's was trash and not a hiphop album imo. I feel like kanye stans care about his beats, melodies instead of his lyrics.
Yeah it's not like 808's wasn't critically acclaimed or anything...Most Kanye fans hated the idea of 808's and most of us refused to listen to the album...I didn't listen to the album til' 2009...I wasn't interested in the album til' I heard Welcome to Heartbreak and Amazing....the album is genuis and highly underrated....I regret not listening to the album sooner...also nobody said it was a Hip Hop album so if you were expecting one then you fail...

G

·
I think College Dropout has more of Kanye's personality than any other of his albums. The charisma, his struggles, some sense of humor, cockiness, etc.. by the end of the album you can't help but feeling you understand his drive and his story more than any other album he's made.  (even if he didn't tell you about it on Last Call lol)

·
Registered
363 Posts
ROZAY said:
first problem

for most (or some?) of us we've seen the progression of the artist starting with this here classic. when it first dropped it brought the classic soul sampling sound to the mainstream and was a landmark album for hip hop and the introduction of someone who was doing something completely different from gangsta rap

see getting into kanye around 808s just isnt the same. its a different game now with guys like cudi and drake running mainstream rap and to fully appreciate his albums you'd have to also recognize the significance of them in hip hop history. without kanye, no cudi or drake btw
THIS

Lyrically College Dropout will always be my favorite.
Late Registration's production is spectacular
Graduation was an expansion on what Kanye had already succeeded in and showed him branching out.
I love 808s, but it wouldn't be what it was if I hadn't witnessed the progression towards that point. Overall it is an album about heartbreak and everyone at some point in their lives can relate to that.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Kay-B said:
I think College Dropout has more of Kanye's personality than any other of his albums. The charisma, his struggles, some sense of humor, cockiness, etc.. by the end of the album you can't help but feeling you understand his drive and his story more than any other album he's made. 
Ty and 808's had none of that.

·
Registered
56,642 Posts
Timesitheus said:
I think it is a great album, one of his best lyrically, and has some of his best songs on there...and obviously it was the first, showed him to be a great producer/sampler, and may be impressive just because there weren't really any expectations as far as the mainstream was concerned.

But I think...I need someone to explain to me why they think it is so good beyond those reasons. Keep in mind I got into Kanye when 808s was released (let me rephrase, this is the album that really made me a true fan. I had been listening to him as early as LR, it was an overtime process) and went back and listened to his shit. Perhaps I wouldn't get it then because my perspective with him was different. But I see a lot of people on here saying CD is a classic, sort of as if his other albums aren't, and that it is easily his best. I would have to disagree - I  haven't said any of albums are "easily" his best, though I admit I am confident MBDTF will be.

Anyway, give your thoughts.
Most people like the consciousness and spirituality of the album is more overt on this one than any of his others.  I personally got away with bumpin' this CD constantly at full blast in my church parking lot.  "Jesus Walks" and "Never Let Me Down" and even "Two Words" passed off so easily as gospel music, lol.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
It's a rather upbeat album that possesses an undeniable energy. And it marks more or less the introduction of Kanye West.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I think it's that a lot of the subject matter on the songs on the album are nostalgic, and everyone can relate to a lot of the shit on there like "Spaceship", "School Spirit", "Family Business" and all those songs.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Shifty said:
Naw, illmatic is a fuckin classic, but to be honest I still think CD is a bit better. it really got to me you know?
no i agree. im 17 and CD definitely hit me in those prime music-interest-building years. I've more recently gained appreciation for illmatic and nas' shit cuz most of it came out when i was a toddler lol

21 - 40 of 84 Posts