Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it is a great album, one of his best lyrically, and has some of his best songs on there...and obviously it was the first, showed him to be a great producer/sampler, and may be impressive just because there weren't really any expectations as far as the mainstream was concerned.

But I think...I need someone to explain to me why they think it is so good beyond those reasons. Keep in mind I got into Kanye when 808s was released (let me rephrase, this is the album that really made me a true fan. I had been listening to him as early as LR, it was an overtime process) and went back and listened to his shit. Perhaps I wouldn't get it then because my perspective with him was different. But I see a lot of people on here saying CD is a classic, sort of as if his other albums aren't, and that it is easily his best. I would have to disagree - I  haven't said any of albums are "easily" his best, though I admit I am confident MBDTF will be.

Anyway, give your thoughts.

·
Registered
880 Posts
its a classic hip hop album. critically and commercially acclaimed. I personally prefer LR by a bit, but thats just me

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perry said:
its a classic hip hop album. critically and commercially acclaimed. I personally prefer LR by a bit, but thats just me
I agree, and feel that way about Graduation too, and 808s to me is a masterpiece.

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
Timesitheus said:
I think it is a great album, one of his best lyrically, and has some of his best songs on there...and obviously it was the first, showed him to be a great producer/sampler, and may be impressive just because there weren't really any expectations as far as the mainstream was concerned.

But I think...I need someone to explain to me why it is so good beyond those reasons. Keep in mind I got into Kanye when 808s was released and went back and listened to his shit. Perhaps I wouldn't get it then because my perspective with him was different. But I see a lot of people on here saying CD is a classic, sort of as if his other albums aren't, and that it is easily his best. I would have to disagree - I  haven't said any of albums are "easily" his best, though I admit I am confident MBDTF will be.

Anyway, give your thoughts.
its special cuz it has the most soul. u can tell that with the sped up sample vocals and all the really soulful beats on there. it also is his most down to earth album lyrically. he talks about alot of social issues on there and it has a good mash up of conscious music and when u just feel like u wanna stunt.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FLASHINGSTREETLIGHTS said:
how do you get into kanye with 808s. i cant comprehend that.  :kanyeshrug:
You're the jackass who said that we were bad fans for talking shit about Kanye's cover art and here you are insulting me for getting into Kanye with the work that impressively illustrated he was able to genre jump. So you are insulting his album indirectly saying I am immature for having became a stan because of it. Sounds like a hypocrite. That album appeals to a lot of people on here, buddy.

Perry said:
lol yeah. are you 10 years old? smh
I was a fan of Kanye as early as LR, I got really into him with this album though.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Honestly, it's people's taste in music. You like 808s so for sure you would like Graduation since it has this futuristic type of feel to it. To others, College Dropout is one of those classic hip hop albums. The album is very soulful, the rhymes are top notch but it just has a different feel to it than Graduation.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
The whole appeal to college dropout is the fact that it was all made before he was famous! It was like all the stuff he did before he blew up into a huge famous pop star! So it's kinda special in that way....than again...he goes further kno details of his life when LR drops...and that further when Graduation drops....etc with every album! So it's like the first book to a whole series, the foundation

·
Banned
13,015 Posts
Cd is funny, upbeat, and most important:
game-changing
at the time gangsta rap was the big genre of rap and kanye changed that with CD

1 - 20 of 84 Posts