Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XO fans in particular are more prone to appreciate the production side of things with regards to music. The Weeknd's production on all three mixtapes, KL and BBTM undoubtedly is nothing short of beautiful, but what exactly is it that makes it so? If any producers are present, have no hesitation in regards to being technical.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Great sample selection plus very good engineering. But I bet that if most people listened to the beats alone without Abel on them the instrumentals wouldn't seem as great. It's the vocals plus lyrics that made them so amazing as we deem them now. The whole package.

·
Banned
3,223 Posts
NobodyImportant said:
Great sample selection plus very good engineering. But I bet that if most people listened to the beats alone without Abel on them the instrumentals wouldn't seem as great. It's the vocals plus lyrics that made them so amazing as we deem them now. The whole package.
Even without lyrics, the instrumentals are something else

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I think his producers have really deep musical knowledge also. They're familiar with a many varieties of music over different time periods and genres.

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
NobodyImportant said:
Abel's vocals are the key instrument. Without them, the beats feel like they're missing something.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The beats are sooooooo fucking phenomenal. But then Abel's genius melodies/harmonies/voice puts that shit over the top. Honestly everything about his work is the GOAT. I honestly think Trilogy is like the best project to come out in the past decade.

·
Registered
50,126 Posts
fantumblood said:
Really well done automation, great sound design, not using the same drum kit in every song, mix of live instruments, samples and synths. Nothing special just exceptionally well arranged songs.
is that a danny boy styles shot there :joe:

·
Registered
50,126 Posts
Sar49632 said:
Abel's vocals are the key instrument. Without them, the beats feel like they're missing something.
you could say the same about Abel's vocals without the proper beats feel like it's missing something. I.e. Elastic Heart, WYB, The Noise.

·
Registered
459 Posts
NomadXO said:
I think his producers have really deep musical knowledge also. They're familiar with a many varieties of music over different time periods and genres.
Yeah. Sophistication if I had to sum it up in one word. The choice of samples (indie music), chord progressions, sounds designs, every dimension has that special touch to it that comes from knowing and appreciating more complex music. Somehow pulling it off without trying so hard that it becomes pretentious is almost the most impressive thing about it all.

The vocal production means the world as well. Abels voice has a naturally beautiful tone and he's a great harmonizer but it's the vocal production that really takes it to the next level.

·
Banned
96 Posts
NobodyImportant said:

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
I feel like the main reason to why I love the Weeknd is mainly based on how crisp his vocals are (easier to know that he can sing like that live as well) and the production of the songs. There's probably a few things as well but this guy can be singing about his missing pet dog and it'll still be outstanding.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts