Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
53,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd try and get this forum going a little since it seems to be the least active on the board.  I can't wait until there's some crazy 10 page debate...it's bound to happen.  Although 99 percent of us are liberal  :dno:

Anyways, I was just curious what you guys think of Obama now.  I was really into his campaign before the 2008 election and I think he's tried to do all he can so far...but he is trying to cater to Republicans to seem "bipartisan" a bit.  My friends and I had a conversation about this a while back...he should just be a badass and do what he wants to help the country, haha.  :twisted:

Back to my main point though, how does everyone else feel?  It'd be nice to get some differing opinions and see how everyone else feels.

·
Registered
53,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Micool said:
people need to focus on what congress is doing...the president...he can only do so much...
True that dawg.  Congress is just as important.  Obama's been stuck with a shitty one tbh...I mean look how long health care took with a Democratic majority

·
Registered
81,795 Posts
Getting no help. The Republicans are apart of the party of NO and Democrats are lacking the testicular fortitude to do what they set out to do for real. I support Obama always have always will because I know he is trying to help the middle class and lower class. It'll take a long time to undo what the Bush administration did to the economy.

The sheer panic experienced by everyone (if by everyone you mean GOP supporters) nowadays reflect an impatient and naive outlook on the economy. Things don't get better instantly. The goal is to kick things off and hopefully it carries over to even after Obama is out of office in 2016 and then a Democrat takes over to keep things going.

If the GOP regain a lot of seats in both houses, they will never see the presidency again for a long long time

·
Registered
688 Posts
Disappointed, I favour republicains but i had hopes that Obama would do some stuff.  Dont ask dont tell should be gone and there should have been a public opition on the healthcare. 

Obama to me was elected at the wrong time.  Right now the USA is worried about the economy and deificit.  Obama whilst he is doing some stuff about the debt, cares more about healthcare.

He decent enough but I was never a fan boy.  I also oppose his supreme court choice and find his foreign policy below par. 

And yeah this board is 99% liberal.  I'm a UK conservative so don't know as much about the US as US democrats on here will. 

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
DADT would have been gone if the Republicans didn't filibuster it, and there would have been a public option if it weren't for conservative Dems. I can assure you that in the future there will probably be a public option because they say adding one reduces the deficit by 60 billion.

Obama will focus on the debt and the deficit next year which is fitting since he'll have a Republican House. When your nation's GDP is falling by about 5-6%, you don't worry about cutting government spending. Stimulus spending (which was primarily unemployment insurance like food stamps, health care, etc., energy investments, and infrastructure spending) was needed. At this stage in the recovery, now MAY be a time to start setting long term debt plans. But you can't come in at 2009 and start cutting the deficit. That would have been the dumbest thing ever.

He said he wanted to "call their bluff." If he does and they reject him? He comes out on top. If he does and they work with him? He comes out on top. It's not like he hasn't been willing to work with them either. Health care took forever because he kept trying to gain more and more Republican support. That didn't happen. :dno:

I think he's doing pretty good. Health care, financial regulation (that's stronger imo than people think), Infrastructure and clean energy investments, and staging off what objective economists said would have been a depression had they not acted (the closure of GM, and Chrysler alone would have cost a few hundred thousand jobs worldwide. And multiple economists provide data saying the stimulus, along with previous quantitative easing, helped to end the recession.)

And that's only the first two years. If he gets reelected they'll almost certainly pass cap-and-trade, but until then he told the NYTimes he plans to do incremental energy programs. Government would begin to loan and fund private sector energy initiatives to get the ball rolling. I like that idea, and it seems to me that he's pretty successful in getting his priorities done so I'm hopeful on that.

DADT will end by 2012. I can bet on it. You can't have a Judge overturn it because if another Judge were to overturn it then you'd have chaos. You can't have judges write military policy. That's what Congress is for. Besides, with 70% of the Congress backing repeal, I wouldn't be surprised if they passed it at the end of this year in a lameduck, OR if they passed it early next year.

On foreign policy I'm sort of mixed (not too big of a fan of rendition), but when it comes to the War in Afghanistan I pretty much agree with what he did. I just don't buy the liberal argument to end the war now and take the troops home. It doesn't really make sense. I did like Biden's plan of counterterrorism but the military wasn't going to support that, so according to Woodward, he worked with one of the generals to incorporate the military's ideas with Biden's plan. Sounds reasonable to me.

I'd give him like a B-/B+. His biggest problem is communication when it comes to the news' cycle.

Parkzy, what about his Supreme Court choices that you don't like? (I mean, it doesn't matter anyway since it doesn't change the balance. The Roberts' Court is fucked up...)

If I had my way, he should start 2011 by coupling a large infrastructure problem (cause our roads are shit), with a long term plan to cut the debt. This way people would have a small WPA type jobs program that would stimulate the economy, and then you'd clear the air of uncertainty and satisfy the job market.

But a GOP congress won't agree to anymore stimulus spending.  :-\ So there's pretty much little you can do on the economy (unless they pass his idea for an infrastructure bank)

·
Registered
688 Posts
ktothe2 said:
Parkzy, what about his Supreme Court choices that you don't like? (I mean, it doesn't matter anyway since it doesn't change the balance. The Roberts' Court is fucked up...)
Your right in that at the end of the day the balance hasn't changed however I'm a judical conservative and would rather have another Roberts or Scalia. 

I really wish there was a Republicain poster on KTT with the calibre of you KTT2.  Would make arguments like this much more interesting.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Smart Republicans? They used to exist. Now they're simply memories.

But I can't believe you like Thomas/Roberts/Scalia.

I mean corporations are people and free speech is money? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Unlimited anonymous campaign funding by corporations?

Roberts court is insane.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
He's wonderful he's done so much for this country it isn't even funny,I can't imagine what he will have done with a few more years in office.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Yo Jimbo! said:
Better than what we got in Australia.
What was wrong with Rudd?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Change takes time, Especially since Bush just screwed everything up. People giving Obama a hard time cause they want change right now. He's working on it. Grade: B

·
Registered
688 Posts
ktothe2 said:
Smart Republicans? They used to exist. Now they're simply memories.

But I can't believe you like Thomas/Roberts/Scalia.

I mean corporations are people and free speech is money? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Unlimited anonymous campaign funding by corporations?

Roberts court is insane.
Citizens United v. FEC was ruled on sound legal grounds in regards to the Constitution. 

I would however like to see political donation reform, maybe changing the constitution to say  "Money is not free speech".  I don't agree with the conclusion in practice but i think its up to congress to change it not the courts.

Roberts court has done some good stuff.  I'd agreed with

Morse v. Frederick
Parents Involved in Community Schools v. Seattle School District No. 1
Rumsfeld v. Forum for Academic and Institutional Rights, Inc
Gonzales v. Carhart
which are ones i've studied.

I'm also really surprised you hadn't heard about the Aussie Election

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Parkzy said:
Citizens United v. FEC was ruled on sound legal grounds in regards to the Constitution.
Wasn't it a 4-3 decision. Seems to me like there was clearly room for maneuver there. I agree that Robert's court has done some good stuff (particularly with Gonzales v. Carhart), but I have to read about the other three you mentioned.

But the First Amendment talks about free speech and the seperation of church and state, I mean, I don't see how you can read it and equate money with speech. I don't see anything in the Federalist papers that would equate money with free speech either.

Yo Jimbo! said:
Rudd isn't even Prime Minister anymore that's what.
Parkzy said:
I'm also really surprised you hadn't heard about the Aussie Election
No, I know they got rid of him (I think you guys elected a woman, forget her name and too lazy to do a search), but I thought the new PM was from the same Labor Party. hence the term What was wrong with Rudd? I mean I expected someone from the same party to largely be a continuation of the Party's platform like Roosevelt and Truman, Kennedy and Johnson, Reagan and Bush (I'm a huge fan of Bush, not Reagan though.), and then :) Obama and Clinton (Hillary for 2016...)

So them being from the same party, I figure whoever it is must be pretty much a continuation of most of the policies. Well in the case of Reagan and Bush, Bush was actually different from Reagan cause he was actually intelligent and knew what he was doing, but that's a whole other issue altogether.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I'm not really one to follow politics so my opinion is slightly underdeveloped. Nonetheless, my view on him is indifferent. He was asked to do a lot, perhaps unfairly, and has accomplished some things.

·
Registered
590 Posts
@ ktothe2:

I'm not into politics a that much but from what I know his own party asked him to step down 'cause his popularity was dropping HEAPS and there was a lot of talk of him going crazy behind closed doors or something and he was just REALLY fucking up at the time.

Which led to Julia Gillard stepping up, then they soon called for an election/re-election to cash in on her so called popularity among women voters but it was fucking close and there wasn't a clear winner until like 3 weeks after the polls closed.

On a side note, most/all leaders are bullshit.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Yo Jimbo! said:
@ ktothe2:

I'm not into politics a that much but from what I know his own party asked him to step down 'cause his popularity was dropping HEAPS and there was a lot of talk of him going crazy behind closed doors or something and he was just REALLY fucking up at the time.

Which led to Julia Gillard stepping up, then they soon called for an election/re-election to cash in on her so called popularity among women voters but it was fucking close and there wasn't a clear winner until like 3 weeks after the polls closed.

On a side note, most/all leaders are bullshit.
Thanks for the summary.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts