Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What influence has kanye had on your life? Has he gotten you through any tough times, given you strength with his music?
What's your story?
I just feel like when I'm listening to Ye i can do anything, got that inspiration ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
808s & Heartbreaks came out when I was going through a terrible break up. The songs really just connected with me. Especially Say You Will and Street Lights. I'm a fan of 808s though a lot of people didnt like it. I could just really feel and relate to the music

·
Premium Member
8,585 Posts
808s came out a week after my dad died of cancer. I was only 14 so I picked it up because I had liked stronger and gold digger etc. It was the first time really hearing kanye apart from his radio hits. It took me from the brink of killing myself to appreciating the time we have on this earth with the people we love. I know most of the songs were about kanyes breakup, but  I felt I could really easily relate to the emotion he was putting into the songs. I strongly believe without kanye, I wouldn't be here today.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Like a lot of people 808's got me through a really shit time and it will most likely help me again,
thanks for that Ye.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It's threads like this that show you the power of an album like 808s. Even though most people don't really see it as some of his strongest work the emotional input is impossible to ignore. As well as some of the people here, this album got me through very difficult times and gave me a new appreciation for music and the world around me. There has not been, and I doubt there will be, another artist that I feel will ever put so much of themselves on an album and ever reach the level of emotion and depth put forth by 808s.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
.R!CH. said:
808s & Heartbreaks came out when I was going through a terrible break up. The songs really just connected with me. Especially Say You Will and Street Lights. I'm a fan of 808s though a lot of people didnt like it. I could just really feel and relate to the music
This.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
.R!CH. said:

·
Premium Member
10,956 Posts
Mary Juana said:
I stopped listening to mainstream music because of him
.R!CH. said:
This. this. this!  :button:

·
Registered
808 Posts
"Graduation" literally got me through my senior year. And I was always (and still kinda am a perfectionist) when it comes to school so when i got my first bad report card grade, i was pretty shocked (this was sophomore year) and I literally just told my teacher "I'm not doing anything for a while" (he was a really cool teacher, understanding, not the one who gave me a bad grade) and I just got out of my seat, went to the corner of the room and just started playing some kanye. Something to make me feel better. "Gone", "Can't Tell Me Nothing", the uplifting songs. The one's that are funny and remind you why you love kanye so much.

But back to my senior year, I was really getting hit hard by senior-itis and everyday in my car on my way to school i would play "Good Morning". It was the perfect tune to give me that feel good/im way fucking better than you/fuck you teachers attitude that really kept me going until I graduated.

But this is only a few examples of how Kanye's music has affected me. I've fought through many other battles and inner-struggles with Kanye's music. He's not a single-style musician. He has a song for every mood. He has experienced many of the same trials and obstacles that we have (or at least parallel/applicable ones) gone though. That's why depending on the situation and the mood, we can use all of his albums from "808s" to "LR" to "MBDTF".

I might just be dumb or haven't found another artist who does the same (or am too nieve and ignorant to look or accept others), but Kanye's music really did and still does have a tremendous impact on me. Anyone else agree?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts