Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously Kanye is about as critically acclaimed as an artists can be without the critics not seeming crazy, unprofessional, or otherwise making bold statements that contradict what is "rational" to the non-hypberbolic listener.

As far as Kanye's place in the history of rap and even all music, as far as his place compared to other greats, as far as him being considered a legend or not, MBDTF was about as close as he could get to critics breaking those rules. Kanye's famous comment about trying to be the GOAT of all time back around Runaway release (I believe it was in his interview on MTV after the film premiered) was essentially validated by Pitchfork - not directly "He's the GOAT" but certainly them pointing down that path so to speak.

So now we got WTT - and for the reviews that are positive, which is luckily most of them, we don't get that sense of awe-struck response, its more like "yeah, its Kanye, of course its awesome" - and that's awesome in itself.

But...as the stan I am of Kanye (or huge fan or whatever you want to say), it is slightly frustrating that his name isn't being heralded with the greats. How many more great reviews, top of lists, Grammys, etc. will it take for critics to not be afraid to say what we all believe - am I crazy, or is Kanye really, truly, one of the best? How many more albums until they can say this and essentially validate our fandom, at least to the haters?

Now of course there are a majority of you who will say "Who cares man, just enjoy the music" - and I do - giving too much thought to this kind of thing is generally a waste - but I know you guys think its cool when Kanye gets the awards or reviews we want him to - its exciting in a sense.

So when? When will Kanye be considered on the highest plain of musical geniuses and recognized by the critics as such?

·
Premium Member
12,275 Posts
I don't think it'll be when he dies, he's like a machine right now he dropped GOOD Fridays, MBDTF and now WTT within a year. All of them having impact and being acclaimed. If he keeps up at the pace he's going it won't be long till most people acknowledge it. I mean reading some of the WTT reviews now kinda apply to what you're looking for imo.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Every great musician has had an eccentric or obnoxious side. I just think he's been boxed in the wrong genre, one that rarely gets any praise from popular critics.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Ron said:
When he dies.
Unfortunately, that'll be when people realize how great he truly was.

As Biggie said, "you're no one until someone kills you."

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
i think if he "retired" for like 5 years and during that time worked on a bunch of shit in secrecy then came back with just a ton of crazy new stuff and did like only 5 concerts in the biggest cities and pulled out all the stops. people would be going crazy calling him a legend

1 - 20 of 40 Posts