Kanye to The banner

What do you think it takes for someone to have "personal style"?

1K views 43 replies 31 participants last post by  videoben9 
#1 ·
In the midst of my website being created, I wanted to write an entire think piece on the meaning of personal style, and I wanted some opinions on the matter.

I think when it comes to today's generation of youth, a lot of them get the concept of personal style confused with what looks good on celebrities/models in lookbooks and emulating most of the aspect without leaving any room for originality (I think the abundance of replicas have also taken a part in this...).

Another aspect I think is generally confused for being stylish is someone having to specifically correlate what they wear to a certain label (and from time to time, I still have trouble with this). Why does it have to be "SLP aesthetic" or "streetwear" or "preppy/americana" when it can't just be clothes? I think it's completely fine to have certain elements of certain looks and mesh them with your personality.

I believe it's a matter of wanting to guide people forward and helping people understand it's okay to not dress the same as everyone else.

So what do you guys think personal styles means? Is it just the clothes you wear? Attitude? Piecing things together? Color palettes?

And please try to come with serious answers lmao.

See less See more
#12 ·
i'd say the skillset to actually dress nice is very high. the majority of people dont know a lot about about proportions and colors, what goes and what doesnt go together and what actually fits them.

plus there's too much of a 'patrick bateman' like sheep mentality.

DopeYe said:
Isn't it just wearing what you like & what looks good on you without giving a fuck about what others think?
i would disagree with this too

#15 ·
All the things said in the thread could be right....

It's all how everything fits and how a certain outfit can give off a certain impression in relation to what people perceive your persona to be (and more importantly what you perceive).

Think about it like building a character in a movie; That's how I like to go about style.

#16 ·
VersaceVersace said:
For me, clothing is a way of making my outside match my inside. 
deleted said:
Dressing based off of what kinda life you live, the things you do, kinda person you are,
AmsterdamTheGoat said:
Dressing without thinking "What will others think of me" and ofcourse making sure everything fits properly and suits your face.
Savage Life said:
I just wear anything that looks fly on me
pretty much this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.