Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now please don't kill me just hear me out i have a very good reason for believing this. :frankwd:

this is all inspired by basednic's thread it really made me think about these tracks and it made me dig a bit deeper into them. so shoutout to him.

kendrick is bringing something back to hiphop that has been missing for a long time. he's bringing back the art in every sense of the word. i'm not just talking about good lyrics either. when i say art i mean everything, the lyrics, the soundscapes, the performances; they are all apart of his art.

Untitled 1

untitled was the first time i ever really felt captivated by everything that was happening on screen. my eyes and ears were witnessing something special. in basednic's thread i commented on how this reminds me of a certain jean-michel basquiat painting.

and after sitting with that idea for a while i really believe what we witnessed was neo-expressionism in motion.

Neo-expressionism is a style of late-modernist or early-postmodern painting and sculpture that emerged in the late 1970s. Neo-expressionists were sometimes called Neue Wilden ('The new wild ones'; 'New Fauves' would better meet the meaning of the term). Neo-expressionism developed as a reaction against conceptual art and minimal art of the 1970s. Neo-expressionists returned to portraying recognizable objects, such as the human body (although sometimes in an abstract manner), in a rough and violently emotional way, often using vivid colors.
he gave us vivid imagery, he gave us the the emotion and the roughness as he so usually does with his lyrics, effectively replacing the paintbrush as his tool to create the art. but this time we also had visual representation to accompany the sound. that is something i think is key for these untitled tracks.

i think these tracks are meant to be enjoyed like this. they are being presented to us as part of the art, not the whole of it.

this is level 2. this is level 2.

:yejoice:

·
Registered
23,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BasedNic said:
If we ever did get a CDQ it would have to come with a video. I'm not at all opposed to a "God Is Gangsta" type short film out of the finished set of all of them.

Also thanks for the shoutout, you a real one
:denzel: :salute:

maaan if you only knew what i was typing up at first :whew:

i'm on mobile though so would have legit taken me hours to finish :koolaid:

·
Banned
25,037 Posts
BAGELODON said:
now please don't kill me just hear me out i have a very good reason for believing this. :frankwd:

this is all inspired by basednic's thread it really made me think about these tracks and it made me dig a bit deeper into them. so shoutout to him.

kendrick is bringing something back to hiphop that has been missing for a long time. he's bringing back the art in every sense of the word. i'm not just talking about good lyrics either. when i say art i mean everything, the lyrics, the soundscapes, the performances; they are all apart of his art.

Untitled 1

untitled was the first time i ever really felt captivated by everything that was happening on screen. my eyes and ears were witnessing something special. in basednic's thread i commented on how this reminds me of a certain jean-michel basquiat painting.

and after sitting with that idea for a while i really believe what we witnessed was neo-expressionism in motion.

he gave us vivid imagery, he gave us the the emotion and the roughness as he so usually does with his lyrics, effectively replacing the paintbrush as his tool to create the art. but this time we also had visual representation to accompany the sound. that is something i think is key for these untitled tracks.

i think these tracks are meant to be enjoyed like this. they are being presented to us as part of the art, not the whole of it.

this is level 2. this is level 2.

:yejoice:
great fucking thread​

·
Banned
13,304 Posts
Totally agree with you OP. I'm content hearing these tracks through his performances, I don't think the CDQs would give the tracks justice

·
Premium Member
21,393 Posts
Great write up OP. It's true though, I can't listen to the end of Untitled 2 without seeing Kendrick wylin out on stage and the song would definitely be worse without the context it was released or first performed.

·
Registered
345 Posts
This is one of the best OPs I've read in a long time, I totally agree about how he's fighting against the way a lot of hip hop music feels like it lacks a lot these days, especially visually and even sonically in some ways

Everything Kendrick does feels so rich, and thought out without being calculated or done for reasons of his own monetary gain or whatever. A true artist.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts