Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a website in Adobe Dreamweaver for a project, and it's due tomorrow. I'm almost done, the only thing I'm worried about is making the site function on another computer. All my files have links directed to my computer user only, so if I test it on another computer, I'm not sure it'll work. I tested it on my computer I use at school, my home page works but when I click a link to a different page, it doesn't work. How can I fix this?

I'm sure it has something to do with what types of paths I'm using, should I use absolute paths or relative paths for all my files? Give examples if you can please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
983 Posts
Albert said:
I'm working on a website in Adobe Dreamweaver for a project, and it's due tomorrow. I'm almost done, the only thing I'm worried about is making the site function on another computer. All my files have links directed to my computer user only, so if I test it on another computer, I'm not sure it'll work. I tested it on my computer I use at school, my home page works but when I click a link to a different page, it doesn't work. How can I fix this?

I'm sure it has something to do with what types of paths I'm using, should I use absolute paths or relative paths for all my files? Give examples if you can please.
You could move the folder of the site directly to C:\ and that would get rid of any link issues. Example:

C:/site/index.html (your home page)

in your home page, link to another directory:

href="C:/site/anotherdir/"

etc

Basically just make the site start in the C:/ on your computer and move the files to the C:/ on another computer so the paths are the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,428 Posts
So your paths are directly linking to files on your hard drive?
Those paths are specific to your computer only and will not work when you upload files to a remote server or try to view them locally from any other computer but your own.

If you want to be able to preview your pages in a browser locally, before you have uploaded the files to a remote server, all paths must be document relative.
Dreamweaver will create a directory with all needed files in the web pages root folder.
Browsers have no way of understanding what local root folder has been defined (as Dreamweaver does) so it can only follow a path that is relative to the document it's viewing.
From what I can remember there is no quick and easy way to change all paths at once.
Your going to have to change each path manually.

I haven't used Dreamweaver since 8.0.
So there may be a way to quick change all paths by now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mayhew said:
You could move the folder of the site directly to C:\ and that would get rid of any link issues. Example:

C:/site/index.html (your home page)

in your home page, link to another directory:

href="C:/site/anotherdir/"

etc

Basically just make the site start in the C:/ on your computer and move the files to the C:/ on another computer so the paths are the same.
So if I do that, my html pages should work on other computers?

WESTNINE9 said:
So your paths are directly linking to files on your hard drive?
Those paths are specific to your computer only and will not work when you upload files to a remote server or try to view them locally from any other computer but your own.

If you want to be able to preview your pages in a browser locally, before you have uploaded the files to a remote server, all paths must be document relative.
Dreamweaver will create a directory with all needed files in the web pages root folder.
Browsers have no way of understanding what local root folder has been defined (as Dreamweaver does) so it can only follow a path that is relative to the document it's viewing.
From what I can remember there is no quick and easy way to change all paths at once.
Your going to have to change each path manually.

I haven't used Dreamweaver since 8.0.
So there may be a way to quick change all paths by now.
Yeah. How do I put the files on a remote server?

I don't have to purchase a web hosting server do I? I don't think I have enough time to purchase a web host and get everything working before tomorrow morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WESTNINE9 said:
So your paths are directly linking to files on your hard drive?
Those paths are specific to your computer only and will not work when you upload files to a remote server or try to view them locally from any other computer but your own.

If you want to be able to preview your pages in a browser locally, before you have uploaded the files to a remote server, all paths must be document relative.
Dreamweaver will create a directory with all needed files in the web pages root folder.
Browsers have no way of understanding what local root folder has been defined (as Dreamweaver does) so it can only follow a path that is relative to the document it's viewing.
From what I can remember there is no quick and easy way to change all paths at once.
Your going to have to change each path manually.

I haven't used Dreamweaver since 8.0.
So there may be a way to quick change all paths by now.
Hey man, could you do me a favor, once I think I fixed all these files and stuff, can you test my site on your computer? If so, I would have to email you the folder. Just need confirmation from someone to see if my site works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,428 Posts
Albert said:
So if I do that, my html pages should work on other computers?
That's a way you can go.
All computers (windows computers) have a C: drive.
You could just put all your linked files in a folder on YOUR C: drive.
Then copy the files over to the C: drive of the computer your giving the presentation on.
But all that may or may not be possible depending on if the PCs at your school will even allow you to write to their C: drives.
Plus you'd still have to change the paths of each and every linked object to the folder in the C: drive.
But if that's the case and you need to change paths anyway you might as well make all paths document relative.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63,728 Posts
lol, Web Designers Only

I was on a Technical School for the last two years and i know this shit too and i'm by far not a "Web Designer"

:cmon:


:oblivious:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,428 Posts
Albert said:
Hey man, could you do me a favor, once I think I fixed all these files and stuff, can you test my site on your computer? If so, I would have to email you the folder. Just need confirmation from someone to see if my site works.
Sure, no problem.
I'll PM you my email address.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WESTNINE9 said:
That's a way you can go.
All computers (windows computers) have a C: drive.
You could just put all your linked files in a folder on YOUR C: drive.
Then copy the files over to the C: drive of the computer your giving the presentation on.
But all that may or may not be possible depending on if the PCs at your school will even allow you to write to their C: drives.
Plus you'd still have to change the paths of each and every linked object to the folder in the C: drive.
But if that's the case and you need to change paths anyway you might as well make all paths document relative.
Yeah I'm doing that at the moment, I have to re-link all these files :fuu:

So if I put the site on my teachers desktop for example, will the site still work or do I put the folder directly in his C drive?

Pat said:
lol, Web Designers Only

I was on a Technical School for the last two years and i know this shit too and i'm by far not a "Web Designer"

:cmon:


:oblivious:
Lol I just wanted people who knew about this stuff to give me help

WESTNINE9 said:
Sure, no problem.
I'll PM you my email address.
Thanks man, it might be a while though lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,428 Posts
Pat said:
lol, Web Designers Only

I was on a Technical School for the last two years and i know this shit too and i'm by far not a "Web Designer"

:cmon:


:oblivious:
I'm no web designer but I know a bit about it.
I don't think he was implying that only people who hold a "web designer" job title can give advice on his issue.
I believe it's just heads for people before they click and enter this thread.

...I think  :oblivious:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63,728 Posts
WESTNINE9 said:
I'm no web designer but I know a bit about it.
I don't think he was implying that only people who hold a "web designer" job title can give advice on his issue.
I believe it's just heads for people before they click and enter this thread.

...I think  :oblivious:
Sounds very suspicious to me :oblivious:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,428 Posts
Albert said:
Yeah I'm doing that at the moment, I have to re-link all these files :fuu:

So if I put the site on my teachers desktop for example, will the site still work or do I put the folder directly in his C drive?
Most Windows desktops are here: C:\documents and settings\(username)\desktop
As long as the path to the desktop is the same as it is on your machine it will work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WESTNINE9 said:
I'm no web designer but I know a bit about it.
I don't think he was implying that only people who hold a "web designer" job title can give advice on his issue.
I believe it's just heads for people before they click and enter this thread.

...I think  :oblivious:
Exactly lol

Pat said:
Everything's cool man, was just kidding :oblivious:
:awesome:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WESTNINE9 said:
As long as the path to the desktop is the same as it is on your machine it will work.
I hope it is :ohno:

The thing is, my teacher didn't tell ANY of the students this shit. I feel like my site would probably be the only one to work. One student just put his site on a server, I would've done that if I could but my debit card was acting up so I couldn't purchase one. My friend for example, I don't think his site will work on the teachers computer because he didn't make his files document relative and doing the process I'm doing now.

I just hope mines work :ohno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,428 Posts
I found a tutorial on making your local site document relative.
Doing this will have Dreamweaver link all objects to a single root folder making them document relative.
This info might be useless to you now but it might be helpful in future projects.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WESTNINE9 said:
I found a tutorial on making your local site document relative.
Doing this will have Dreamweaver link all objects to a single root folder making them document relative.
This info might be useless to you now but it might be helpful in future projects.
Wow thanks, this will definitely help me in the future. I tend to make everything on my desktop lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
urbex said:
A Web Designer that uses Dreamweaver?  :cmon:
I write all my code in notepad first, I just use Dreamweaver because since I have all the other Adobe programs, might as use this one lol. Plus the interface is easy for me to use and faster for me to relink files and stuff instead of manually writing everything by hand. Don't judge me lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,428 Posts
urbex said:
A Web Designer that uses Dreamweaver?  :cmon:
What's wrong with that?
That's like saying:
"A sculptor who renders in software?"  :cmon:
"A mechanic that uses power tools?"  :cmon:
"A mathematician that uses a calculator?"  :cmon:



Dreamweaver is a piece of software, a tool to aid one in accomplishing a task.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top