Kanye to The banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is secretly (or not secretly, just quietly) what everyone wants. Some people call Graduation his worst album. I would agree its probably not as overall impressive or flawless as CD, LR, or MBDTF. (Its hard to speak for 808s since its so different and WTT is not a solo album)...but goddamn that album has at least four or five songs I listened to where I was like "wow, this is so catchy and amazing, I am so happy hearing this right now, I want to repeat this a hundred times over." - for me, songs like Flashing Lights, I Wonder, Homecoming, Stronger, even Big Brother did just that for me. That may be my favorite Ye album because it is so listenable. Off 808s, Paranoid actually have me that same feeling too.

The last time I remember feeling excited over Ye was Dark Fantasy on Runaway. The whole build up to Fantasy was somewhat ruined because all the songs were already featured in GOOD Fridays or Runaway (except for added instrumental parts, like the breakdown in DIAND) so even if you did'nt listen to a single leak like me, it was still like oh I've already heard this already. For me, Dark Fantasy had that same catchiness and awesomeness of some of those Graduation songs.

Not one song on WTT gave me that euphoria. No Church in the Wild did somewhat, but that album was overall pretty dull compared to songs like Flashing Lights.

And Mercy...I like it a lot. But still, I didn't bother making sure I was home at midnight to be ready to hear it because I expected exactly this - underhwlmed disappointment. I didn't have my hopes up so I got about what I wanted.

The brutal truth is, Ye needs to stop with the experimental, genre bending, otherwise "creative" stuff, and just go back to making or at least receiving (Flashing Lights was not made by him as most of you know) catchy synth/string beats with good samples or otherwise catchy melodies. That's all I want. Why do you think people were so excited over Flashing Lights Part 2?

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
As one of the few people who thinks Graduation is one of Kanye's best, I'm inclined to agree. I would love a Graduation Part 2, doubt it'll happen though :okay:

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
OP reminds me of Timesitheus... I love these long ass posts and the passion for Grad and MBDTF.

But yeah, I kinda miss these catchy and happy melodies from Graduation as well. When I look back at the time Graduation dropped, life seemed a little happier to me because I always bumped the album  while I was actually having a very difficult life back then.

·
Registered
75,333 Posts
A part two of anything won't do much for Ye'.

He is going at the mainstream though so you're somewhat getting your wish.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Connor B said:
The brutal truth is, Ye needs to stop with the experimental, genre bending, otherwise "creative" stuff, and just go back to making or at least receiving (Flashing Lights was not made by him as most of you know) catchy synth/string beats with good samples or otherwise catchy melodies. That's all I want. Why do you think people were so excited over Flashing Lights Part 2?
No, this is what everbody wants. Theraflu and Mercy are examples of Kanye falling in line with hip-hop trends, which people hate. MBDTF is his most beloved album, and, not surprisingly, it's also his most creative and ambitious.

He didn't gain fans by following what everybody else was doing, and that's exactly what he's doing right now.

The lash-back is warranted.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
"so many people get caught up in trying to remake their first album, and it's impossible for me to make another College Dropout. But i can make the best Graduation and best 808s that i can make. and that's how you keep on advancing as an artist , so few hip-hop artists have ever advanced. Their songs on their 7th album sound exactly the same as the songs on their 1st album." 

1 - 19 of 19 Posts