Kanye to The banner

Uncover the Symbolism in the Runaway Short Story Film by Kanye.

8K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  CheefyWorldPeace 
#1 ·
There is a lot of symbolism in this video and i'm gonna try to go through the movie and catch it all, the only things I can remember from the top of my head is the Deer which is a symbol of gentleness, unconditional love and kindness (which is why its standing in the background while hes staring at the girl.)

Oh and the little kid in red which is running with the red flare thing, red is a symbol of passion (which is right when there falling in love) and all of the lights comes on which is a great how he mixed it right there

What I don't get is the people in black jackets with red hoods by the MJ thing with the band?

Ballerinas dressed in black after everyone puts him down. black = fear, sadness, unhappiness

#4 ·
To help, the whole MJ scene represented how cultural things impact today's society. Before the MJ scene, the little boy wasn't wearing a hood which mean he was still innocent. After being exposed to cultural things like MJ, the boy walked away being somewhat inspired by the pop culture. It's hard to explain but I like the thread, great first post. 

#6 ·
Albert McFly™ said:
To help, the whole MJ scene represented how cultural things impact today's society. Before the MJ scene, the little boy wasn't wearing a hood which mean he was still innocent. After being exposed to cultural things like MJ, the boy walked away being somewhat inspired by the pop culture. It's hard to explain but I like the thread, great first post. 

#8 ·
KToThee said:
Im hoping Kanye or someone else can explain ALL of it, that would be amazing
Some girl posted a very detailed comment on MTV.com (on the Runaway interview) and she gave her views on some of the symbolism. Here's what she said:

"I kinda looked at it like she's a phoenix that came to show him he can be reborn. Every time she burned she got better, more knowledgeable, more aware despite being in an unfamiliar environment-despite being ignorant to many things while experiencing embarrassment, love, and pain w/complete strangers-humans and animals included...she kept burning. She didn't want to die (become a statue) by staying with him which would change who/what she is. Kanye's not a phoenix so he can't burn but he can runaway and be reborn that way-not necessarily running away from problems but running away from anything that forces him to stay in the same place. If he stops running he dies.

The movement of the ballerinas in black, imo, is symbolic of him feeling like he's moving at times but not going anywhere-the movement can appear beautiful and organized and may be applauded and rewarded but it's not always consistent-it stops and starts, comes and goes, and it's an extremely dark place to be when you feel like you're moving but you're really not. In order for him to be reborn-he can't be in the same place, he can't appear to be moving when he's not really going anywhere-that's not change. Creativity and life don't thrive in stillness. Running away is the only thing he can do to become better and reach a higher level, wherever that level may be for him. We're asked in the beginning... "Can we get much higher?" Only if we Runaway. I LOVED THIS YE!!!!! EPIC!!!!!!!"

#11 ·
mr.cudi said:
its all pretty obvious. kanyes not that deep

Kanye is that deep, if you watch the MTV intervies you can tell.

It's also not just about Kanye, he had world famous Art Directors working with him and colors help express artist all the time its normal and expected out of anyone with any type of art knowledge.

#12 ·
I'll ask one of my artists friend to look through the movie tomorrow. Theres a lot to take in, I mean I know I look at a picaso painting I see maybe 10 things, when really theres a million going on and only people that have that knowledge get it. Hes famous cause of what is displayed behind the painting not because hes good at drawing stuff.

#13 ·
sixslow said:
I'll ask one of my artists friend to look through the movie tomorrow. Theres a lot to take in, I mean I know I look at a picaso painting I see maybe 10 things, when really theres a million going on and only people that have that knowledge get it. Hes famous cause of what is displayed behind the painting not because hes good at drawing stuff.
this is what bugs me about art, cause he didnt think of a million things when he painted those pictures

#16 ·
mr.cudi said:
i was talking about picasso... also you just made an interesting point, if kanye "hired people that did" that then he isnt much of an artist is he?
He presented the idea that made this possible and you've got to remember, this has never been done in hip hop before. Also if you just watch the way he talks about the movie and the knowledge he drops you can tell that he became very educated on the art and did have a lot of ideas of his own to put in. He says I want this to represent this and the people help him, and put in all the things that maybe he missed I.E. symbolism of color(even though I know for a fact he understands the meanings of each color).

#17 ·
sixslow said:
He presented the idea that made this possible and you've got to remember, this has never been done in hip hop before. Also if you just watch the way he talks about the movie and the knowledge he drops you can tell that he became very educated on the art and did have a lot of ideas of his own to put in. He says I want this to represent this and the people help him, and put in all the things that maybe he missed I.E. symbolism of color(even though I know for a fact he understands the meanings of each color).
thats true, i do like that he's steppin out and doing different things for sure, he is legit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.