Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I chose to run Ubuntu alongside Windows 7 at first, do all my files and shit get deleted at first or is it all safe altogether when I install?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it said something like you can run Ubuntu alongside Windows 7 and they said everything would be safe but I'm just wondering if it like wipes everything completely or something like that. Just trying to be really safe about it.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Serendipityxo said:
Yeah it said something like you can run Ubuntu alongside Windows 7 and they said everything would be safe but I'm just wondering if it like wipes everything completely or something like that. Just trying to be really safe about it.
I run that exact dual boot setup. :h5:
Just install Ubuntu on another hard disk or partition and your Windows7 installation, files, and settings will remain completely untouched.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks :D I just wanna try something new and this looks pretty fresh.

·
Premium Member
133,380 Posts
Serendipityxo said:
Thanks :D I just wanna try something new and this looks pretty fresh.
before installing it i would test it out if i were you

its kinda...shit

if you burn it to disc you can run it straight from disc to test it

·
Registered
63,121 Posts
Mozeley said:
before installing it i would test it out if i were you

its kinda...shit

if you burn it to disc you can run it straight from disc to test it
Ubuntu is probably the best Linux OS for a beginner to use. :hah:

If you aren't confident about dual booting, you can also install Ubuntu as an application inside Windows by using Wubi. You'll be limited to 20 gigabytes of space on the Ubuntu installation, but you also don't have to worry about partitioning your hard drive. It's a great why to try out Ubuntu without any reprecussions.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steven Colbear said:
Ubuntu is probably the best Linux OS for a beginner to use. :hah:

If you aren't confident about dual booting, you can also install Ubuntu as an application inside Windows by using Wubi. You'll be limited to 20 gigabytes of space on the Ubuntu installation, but you also don't have to worry about partitioning your hard drive. It's a great why to try out Ubuntu without any reprecussions.
Thanks I'll try that out. Seeing your posts in the post your desktop made me wanna try it out. Shit looks so good lol haha.

·
Registered
63,121 Posts
Serendipityxo said:
Thanks I'll try that out. Seeing your posts in the post your desktop made me wanna try it out. Shit looks so good lol haha.
Are you referring to the ones with the Gnome Shell setup? It's not available by default in the current version of Ubuntu, but it will be availabe for installation in the next version. Right now, Ubuntu uses Unity. If you really want to try using Gnome Shell in this version, there's a PPA you can add. However, I've heard that it can be pretty buggy.

Fedora uses Gnome Shell by default, but it's not as easy to set up for beginners. You'll probably be satisfied with Unity. If not, you can log in to the classic environment and try that out. It's not too difficult to set up a Mac look a like in the classic environment.

Edit: I found a pretty cool screenshot of Unity. You can still make it look good.

There's also a package you can install that lets you adjust stuff like tranparency and the size of the launcher. Regardless of how you decide to install Ubuntu, let me know when you're done. There are a few packages you'll probably want to download.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Steven Colbear said:
What OS are you using?
Ubuntu 11.04
Steven Colbear said:
Are you referring to the ones with the Gnome Shell setup? It's not available by default in the current version of Ubuntu, but it will be availabe for installation in the next version. Right now, Ubuntu uses Unity. If you really want to try using Gnome Shell in this version, there's a PPA you can add. However, I've heard that it can be pretty buggy.

Fedora uses Gnome Shell by default, but it's not as easy to set up for beginners. You'll probably be satisfied with Unity. If not, you can log in to the classic environment and try that out. It's not too difficult to set up a Mac look a like in the classic environment.

Edit: I found a pretty cool screenshot of Unity. You can still make it look good.

There's also a package you can install that lets you adjust stuff like tranparency and the size of the launcher. Regardless of how you decide to install Ubuntu, let me know when you're done. There are a few packages you'll probably want to download.
This is me.
I posted this in the desktop thread a while back.

These OS's are highly customizable.

·
Registered
63,121 Posts
WESTNINE9 said:
Ubuntu 11.04This is me.
I posted this in the desktop thread a while back.

These OS's are highly customizable.
I'm using a (mostly) default KDE setup on something called Chakra. It's like Arch Linux, but built around KDE.

·
Registered
63,121 Posts
WESTNINE9 said:
:h5:
I've been looking over distributions and I think I'm going to run Arch on my new netbook.  :epic:
Whatever you do, don't try to install arch without reading the installation guide. :ohno:

If you do follow the guide, you should be fine. It took a few hours for me to install Arch, but the end result is worth it. Just don't do what I did and try to patch important files without knowing what you're doing. :ohno:

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Steven Colbear said:
Whatever you do, don't try to install arch without reading the installation guide. :ohno:

If you do follow the guide, you should be fine. It took a few hours for me to install Arch, but the end result is worth it. Just don't do what I did and try to patch important files without knowing what you're doing. :ohno:
I've been using Linux distributions for only about a year and a half now.
I'm not as adept as I'd like to think lol.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
63,121 Posts
WESTNINE9 said:
I've been using Linux distributions for only about a year and a half now.
I'm not as adept as I'd like to think lol.
Thanks for the heads up.
That's what I said before trying to install Arch without using the manual. :sadblu:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts