1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
74,325 Posts
Mine was like $50 yo. One day I plan to get an old school record player with a phonograph.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JulianAniel said:
Mine was like $50 yo. One day I plan to get an old school record player with a phonograph.
what's your setup? i have no real knowledge aside from some juvenile google searches. the table i posted seems pricey but i don't want to buy a cheap player and not get the true vinyl experience, ya know?

·
Premium Member
74,325 Posts
NCinnit said:
what's your setup? i have no real knowledge aside from some juvenile google searches. the table i posted seems pricey but i don't want to buy a cheap player and not get the true vinyl experience, ya know?
Well, my player is a piece of shit. Haha. It's good enough for me. I honestly don't know all that much, but for that price of the one you posted, I would hope that shit sounds great.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
get a laptop, some speakers, and a virtual dj program....:)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Okay first things first.

This turntable is missing alot of key features right off the block, just by looking at it.
First of all, it doesn't have any protection cover over it, so it will be exposed to all kind of stuff - not a good start.
Second, you are not able to switch between 33 and 45rpm which means you can't play singles (you need 33 rpm option for that), then there's no pitch control and there are not any (as far as I can see, read) easy reachable start/stop button. So just by looking at it and not going into the specs, I would say this is not a good first buy record player.. I think it's a top seller because of the looks, it's clean and looks neat. But it seems very impractical, especially considering the price it's at, you'd expect to have the basic fitted out.
Also the needle is vital, so make sure it's intact (make sure you listen to it before buying anything, shouldn't sound like the music is being dragged down a concrete floor.. if that makes sense). No matter what you end up getting, the one you posted or whatever, the best investment you can do, is a Ortofone pick-up needle and chamber.

Do you need to have one that can be hooked up via usb? (to convert a LP over to MP3, you can't get good enough quality without going in some kind of amplifier or reciever..)
To be honest, the best thing for you, would be to find an old used one (if you can find a direct drive turntable instead of belt drive, that would be best - however, they tend to be more expensive, but they will last for 100 years), make sure it's by a well known constructor like Technics (in my opnion, makes by far the best turntables you can get), Sony, Phillips or B&O - you'd get much more for the money, and most likely also be able to find a semi-automatic or full-automatic one, which makes it so much more enjoyable to listen to records. Used ones shouldn't be that hard to find.

The next thing you need is an amplifier, that way you can connect the turntable to your speakers. There are two kind of speakers, passive and active speakers. Passive ones, you need to hook them up to a amplifier and those are used for normal listening. Active ones have the amplifier built into them, but they are more expensive and more if you are creating music or playing live.
The same goes for amplifiers as for the turntable, a well known label and you can be pretty sure it's going to do the job.

Speakers comes in all sizes and of course the bigger the better.. or at least louder. Again, Labels like JVC, Technics, B&O etc. and then the higher frequency they can get to (is written in hertz or hz) the better basicly.

Hope I didn't totally ruined the idea of getting a turntable for you :p I know it seems like alot, but just take your time to try and find some used cheap equipment and you'd be set.

Just know, and take my word for it, that listening to records through normal PC stereo speakers might seem like a fine idea, and it might sound OK, but you are missing out on why you wanted to do it in the first place. That un-ruined experience of music on wax, which, if you go the "hard" way, is the best way to listen to music, the cleanest way and by far the funniest!

One last thing, if you stumble across a Technics SL-1210mk2 (or any from the 1200 or 1210 family) and it's kind of in your price range (if it's abit more, just do it), buy it. It's the greatest record player of all time, it will last till the end of the world (direct driven), built like a tank, weighs 30 pounds and sounds absolutely orgasmic through some decent speakers!!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Janko said:
Okay first things first.

This turntable is missing alot of key features right off the block, just by looking at it.
First of all, it doesn't have any protection cover over it, so it will be exposed to all kind of stuff - not a good start.
Second, you are not able to switch between 33 and 45rpm which means you can't play singles (you need 33 rpm option for that), then there's no pitch control and there are not any (as far as I can see, read) easy reachable start/stop button. So just by looking at it and not going into the specs, I would say this is not a good first buy record player.. I think it's a top seller because of the looks, it's clean and looks neat. But it seems very impractical, especially considering the price it's at, you'd expect to have the basic fitted out.
Also the needle is vital, so make sure it's intact (make sure you listen to it before buying anything, shouldn't sound like the music is being dragged down a concrete floor.. if that makes sense). No matter what you end up getting, the one you posted or whatever, the best investment you can do, is a Ortofone pick-up needle and chamber.

Do you need to have one that can be hooked up via usb? (to convert a LP over to MP3, you can't get good enough quality without going in some kind of amplifier or reciever..)
To be honest, the best thing for you, would be to find an old used one (if you can find a direct drive turntable instead of belt drive, that would be best - however, they tend to be more expensive, but they will last for 100 years), make sure it's by a well known constructor like Technics (in my opnion, makes by far the best turntables you can get), Sony, Phillips or B&O - you'd get much more for the money, and most likely also be able to find a semi-automatic or full-automatic one, which makes it so much more enjoyable to listen to records. Used ones shouldn't be that hard to find.

The next thing you need is an amplifier, that way you can connect the turntable to your speakers. There are two kind of speakers, passive and active speakers. Passive ones, you need to hook them up to a amplifier and those are used for normal listening. Active ones have the amplifier built into them, but they are more expensive and more if you are creating music or playing live.
The same goes for amplifiers as for the turntable, a well known label and you can be pretty sure it's going to do the job.

Speakers comes in all sizes and of course the bigger the better.. or at least louder. Again, Labels like JVC, Technics, B&O etc. and then the higher frequency they can get to (is written in hertz or hz) the better basicly.

Hope I didn't totally ruined the idea of getting a turntable for you :p I know it seems like alot, but just take your time to try and find some used cheap equipment and you'd be set.

Just know, and take my word for it, that listening to records through normal PC stereo speakers might seem like a fine idea, and it might sound OK, but you are missing out on why you wanted to do it in the first place. That un-ruined experience of music on wax, which, if you go the "hard" way, is the best way to listen to music, the cleanest way and by far the funniest!

One last thing, if you stumble across a Technics SL-1210mk2 (or any from the 1200 or 1210 family) and it's kind of in your price range (if it's abit more, just do it), buy it. It's the greatest record player of all time, it will last till the end of the world (direct driven), built like a tank, weighs 30 pounds and sounds absolutely orgasmic through some decent speakers!!
thanks for the detailed response. as expressed in my OP, i have very limited turntable knowledge so your post was very helpful.

i don't need a table that's usb compatible, and from reading on the internet i have the understanding that these types of tables are usually of poor quality? what would help me the most is a basic outline of everything that's absolutely essential to have an enjoyable vinyl experience. from speakers, amps, chords, needles etc. although your post seems fairly basic in terms of technicalities, when you dabbled into specifics i was lost. what are the things i have got to have?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts