Kanye to The banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,085 Posts
No problem with the instrument levels, the EQ needs work however.

Lower the bass in the 125 HZ range with a wide Q (maybe about 12-14).

Increase the 5KHZ range by 1.5 - 2 DB with a narrow Q.

Maybe add a little sheen at 12KHZ and add a little at the 500HZ range.

Sounds tight, I don't mind adjusting it if you want to send it over man.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beats And Lyrics said:
No problem with the instrument levels, the EQ needs work however.

Lower the bass in the 125 HZ range with a wide Q (maybe about 12-14).

Increase the 5KHZ range by 1.5 - 2 DB with a narrow Q.

Maybe add a little sheen at 12KHZ and add a little at the 500HZ range.

Sounds tight, I don't mind adjusting it if you want to send it over man.
Nah I need to learn it myself tbh. How do you know about the bass levels? Just practice? thanks for that though, mad how you can spout all that from simply listening. amazing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,085 Posts
Jiggy said:
Nah I need to learn it myself tbh. How do you know about the bass levels? Just practice? thanks for that though, mad how you can spout all that from simply listening. amazing.
It's just experience man, I spend so much time mixing I naturally know what needs tweaking.

There is way too much low end on this, it's drowning the dynamics of the high end.

You generally want the bass to thump and kick rather than on this track it's rumbling.

If you put this on a sub in a car it would literally shake the doors off lol.

Also there's no high end sparkle so it seems very dull.

Just keep practising man and you'll get the hang of it, send it over to me when you've tweaked it again and I'll let you know if it's tight.

Do you use monitors to mix on?, I presume you do.

Refrain from mixing on headphones because their not accurate which causes you to boost the low end.

Use an EQ plugin with a spectrum or a multiband compressor so you can evaluate the frequencies which are too hot.

Also use a high pass filter when adding your bass etc, always apply a high pass to remove excess low end on your bass tracks otherwise they add up the more tracks you add and create way too much bass in the final product. Generally remove roughly 30HZ on the low end of your instruments so they sound clean and not muddy.

 

 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ivy Crimson said:
your kicks sound like they are clipping
Beats And Lyrics said:
No problem with the instrument levels, the EQ needs work however.

Lower the bass in the 125 HZ range with a wide Q (maybe about 12-14).

Increase the 5KHZ range by 1.5 - 2 DB with a narrow Q.

Maybe add a little sheen at 12KHZ and add a little at the 500HZ range.

Sounds tight, I don't mind adjusting it if you want to send it over man.

Hows it now? I think I get the general Idea. I will spend time practising by mastering all my old beats but how is it now?

https://soundcloud.com/d-m-b-1%2Fsorrow-in-a-glass-attempt-to
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,085 Posts
Ivy Crimson said:
your kicks are now too low, maybe remixing it. The sample seems too high and you don't need to limit it too much with your limiter. It give some range to move up and down
This.

The low end is now better although you could try cutting slightly in the 80-100 range as it's still excessive in my opinion, it does also sound like your applying too much compression which is squashing the dynamics.

Now I'm listening on my Monitors it does seem that the sample is too high, boost a little at 4KHZ to add more snap to the kick to accentuate it. You could also try using a slower release on the compression with the kick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ivy Crimson said:
your kicks are now too low, maybe remixing it. The sample seems too high and you don't need to limit it too much with your limiter. It give some range to move up and down
Beats And Lyrics said:
This.

The low end is now better although you could try cutting slightly in the 80-100 range as it's still excessive in my opinion, it does also sound like your applying too much compression which is squashing the dynamics.

Now I'm listening on my Monitors it does seem that the sample is too high, boost a little at 4KHZ to add more snap to the kick to accentuate it. You could also try using a slower release on the compression with the kick.
Thanks again. I 'll keep going with it.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top