Kanye to The banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I drove home from my school with my grandmother, I told her I wanted her to hear a song that I found beautiful.

I put on Street Lights, and explained to her what auto-tune was.

Thus, I sparked a 20 minute argument over the topic.

I told her that I embraced the technology. It, in my opinion, gives anyone a chance to express themselves in a musical fashion, because now anyone can pick up a microphone and sing their heart out, without fear of sounding bad (myself included).

For the same reasons I praised it, she put it down. She said she disliked the fact that just "anyone" can sing now, making the "true" singers less special. She said that traditional singers were now less important, and that these technology users are now just taking the easy way out.

I just wanted to express this one with you guys, and hear your views on what auto-tune means for society as a whole.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
I don't mean to be disrespectful to your grandma, but saying "anyone can sing now" is just not correct. People who can actually sing will garner the same respect they always have, if not more, because of autotune. And while I think autotune is used by people who have trouble singing, I think it is also used as a creative means. Kanye said during the short Q&A on VH1 Storytellers that he liked using it because it was "fun", so there is also that. While Ye did use it as a means to sing, I think he also used it heavily for experimentation and to give 808s the robotic hopelessness it had in some tracks.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Timesitheus said:
I don't mean to be disrespectful to your grandma, but saying "anyone can sing now" is just not correct. People who can actually sing will garner the same respect they always have, if not more, because of autotune. And while I think autotune is used by people who have trouble singing, I think it is also used as a creative means. Kanye said during the short Q&A on VH1 Storytellers that he liked using it because it was "fun", so there is also that. While Ye did use it as a means to sing, I think he also used it heavily for experimentation.
This pretty much sums up how I see it.

I personally love the sound of an auto-tuned voice, and I have a massive amount of fun just singing out random lyrics and hearing how I sound. It's fun, plain and simple.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
dabigs11 said:
she put it down. She said she disliked the fact that just "anyone" can sing now, making the "true" singers less special. She said that traditional singers were now less important, and that these technology users are now just taking the easy way out.

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
not just anyone can sing though. if you have a decent voice then it works for you, even if you aren't the best singer. if you sound like shit then you'll only sound like cleaner shit or your vocals will fluxuate (listen to the new boys there autotune is awful because they can't sing for shit) and even though we have autotune i'd rather take beyonce or trey songs singing over autotune any day because there are some things autotune just can't provide.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretty B. said:
not just anyone can sing though. if you have a decent voice then it works for you, even if you aren't the best singer. if you sound like shit then you'll only sound like cleaner shit or your vocals will fluxuate (listen to the new boys there autotune is awful because they can't sing for shit) and even though we have autotune i'd rather take beyonce or trey songs singing over autotune any day because there are some things autotune just can't provide.
This ^^^

·
Registered
35,081 Posts
Your grandmother has a point but autotune doesnt make you sound better all of the time , it matters how it's used because if it's used too much at once and you sound like a complete robot which is wack but when you use it a little bit it compliments your voice but not in a way that it is comparable to the actual people who can sing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts