Kanye to The banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dark Fantasy - Love it. Don't like when the song stops and then starts again. Hope it's not on the album.

Gorgeous - Love it.

Power - Love it.

All of the Lights (Interlude) - Unnecessary.

All of the Lights - Very disappointed to this tbh. Didn't listen to any leaks (only ustream). The song is great until Kid Cudi starts singing. Fergie rapping is horrible.

Monster - Dope! Too many features though.

So Appalled - Dope! Too many features though. Don't like that Kanye put Swizz after Pusha's verse.

Devil in a New Dress - Love it.

Runaway - 4 min of voice distortion is horrible. I'll set itunes to stop the song when the song is supposed to end. I like the samples in the beginning.

Hell of a Life - Love it.

Blame Game - Love it.

Lost in the World - Kanye's verse is ridiculous small. Also disappointed to this.

Who Will Survive in America - Ok to finish the album.

Final thoughts:

I don't care about 11 songs. But, I wish Kanye hadn't release too many songs from the album a long time ago.
But It bothers me that this album is plagued with features and is really short in terms of verses.

Still waiting for the bonus tracks.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
]Deon's In Depth Review?[/b][/u]

NOTE: I'm only a few listens in so things may change and grow on me.

Dark Fantasy: Ye re-spit his verses. Meaning there are no new verses but just that he spit them with more charisma or "bravado" so-to-speak. Nicki Minaj is in the intro of the song, although I think the Runaway version with her sounded better. Ye's verses re-spit was good but I'm still feeling the Runaway version more as well.My guess is that he spit those verses more laid back because of the scene he was doing. There's also another artist on this but I'm not sure who she is. She sings the words "so high" as well as adlibs in the background over the intro, chorus and end. There's a part in the end where it's just her and the hook in somewhat of a beat breakdown (but not really) that sounds dope. Some may disagree and find her addition to the song a bit annoying at first but in any case it was a great song and great intro. (9/10)

Gorgeous: In comparison to what you heard from the Runaway film this song is THAT much better. Three verses from Ye make this song the most lyrical track on the album in my opinion and with Cudi on the hook this is easily going to be a favorite of many people. Raekwon is on the joint at the end and while normal rap songs can usually only keep a person's attention span for under five minutes hearing Rae over the beat didn't bore me or sound redundant. He added a nice little touch to an already great track. I will say though that, that might be because the beat changes up a bit and sounds more somber with a nice guitar riff, piano and light drums over it but overall song is dope. (9.5/10)

Power: There are absolutely no changes to it. Sounds exactly the same from what all of us have heard before. Which means I'm going to have to try and edit the song and throw in the Runaway film bit cause that shit was dope. In any case the song is great as is and IMO will become an anthem once Ye starts touring. Power is certainly the most recognizable song and the most anthemic, but again just my opinion. Since this song has been out for awhile it does lower it's score but I'm going to pretend as if all these songs are fresh and solely by that I'd have to say this song is damn near perfect Flow's on point, hook is catchy, beat is amazing. (9.5/10)

All of the Lights Interlude: There isn't really a need to rate an interlude but to be honest if I were to rate this it would be a perfect 10 out 10. This may just be the most beautiful thing I've ever heard in my life. The strings, the piano and everything coming together so perfectly and seamlessly makes the perfect introduction to the banger that AOTL is. (10/10)

All of the Lights: I didn't listen to any other version that got leaked after the Runaway film so I'm not sure which of the versions the rest of ya'll heard. Regardless this song is amazing. Does it live up to some peoples expectations...well yes and no. I know some people were certainly hyped through the roof about this but after reading comments about the recent leak that had all the features on it people seemed to be disappointed. The song sounds perfect from the start to about 2:43 which is when the beat breaks and transitions. Cue the features.I personally don't like Cudi's part because he sounds way too hyped/loud for the track. He should've kept Drake. Fergie is still on the track but asides from her 'different' sounding lines about having a credit card declined there is a bit with her at the end of her feature bit transitions into Rihanna that sounds great. The part with Elton John is great but again I felt like he was too loud/hyped sounding the moment of the song. I felt like he should've sounded more somber/lighter then gradually go louder so they could build the beat back up and spazz for the last bit. With that being said Elly sounds amazing towards the last bit. Her part is small but certainly adds to the song rather then take away like Cudi's did. Overall I was slightly disappointed and I may have to edit some bits myself but I still think the song is amazing. As for the rest of you, you'll either really love the way the features worked out or dislike it BUT you'll still love the song because of the genius of it. Who knew the biggest banger of the album would be about the VMA's and Ye's return to hip-hop (9/10)

Note: This song is growing on me, the more I listen to it. ^

Monster: This song is like Power in the sense that it's exactly the same. Nothing has been taken away or added. Jay's verse was okay and Rick Ross doesn't really add much but the songs strongest points are Ye and Nicki. Simply put it's still a great song but not on the level of the tracks prior to this one. I still dig it though. (8.5/10)

So Appalled: Some may feel like it shouldn't be on the album and I would probably agree but for whatever reason it still works. I guess in listeners minds it's probably because we've heard this song for so long that it just doesn't sound fresh to us. However for those who have lived under rock long enough to miss this song you'll love it. I still dig the song despite how long it's been and the fact that it's been released through the G.O.O.D. Fridays. Nothings changed in the song for those who have listened though. Ye, Jay, Pusha, Cyhi are great. Could have done without Swizz and RZA but all in all still a dope song. (8.75/10)

Devil in a New Dress:Amazing beat, amazing verse, amazing hook. This song was perfect the way it was when we heard it. Everything was just so smooth and the sample was used perfectly and to my delight this song still is that way even with the addition of Ross. he actually didn't take away from it the way you would think. I could've gone for another Ye verse but I'm still happy about the way the track came out. The guitar solo was great. It's about a minute + that's accompanied by strings, violin, piano and then beat again. Cue Ross' verse and the song is complete. Sounds just as great if not better then it did the first time around. (10/10)

Runaway: Simple song, simple beat with a catchy hook and all the samples we wanted on it. The intro is longer then usual with with the same note playing for the first 20 seconds but then the other piano keys come into play.Ye's first verse is still the same and could've been better but works for what the songs worth and Pusha's verse(the same) is great too. It should be noted that the samples we wanted are also within Pusha's verse but work better then what we had originally though based on that performance they had a month or so ago where it seemed Kanye was fucking up Pusha's flow.  After the six minute there's three minutes of Ye with auto tune. It seems kind of redundant and monotonous but still works. Some of it you can't really make out but you can still feel the emotional that it adds to the song. Overall this song is still great. (9/10)

Hell of a Life:
This was IMO the biggest surprise of the album. I did not expect this song to become one of my favorites given the hype of AOTL and LITW but this one track everyone is going to be bumping. That muffled effect that Ye had on his verses are gone and he spits strait. The verses are the same and the hook is amazing. Ye's singing over the hook is dope. I'm talking like CD/LR hook singing dope. "Have you lost your mind, tell me when you think we crossed the line. No more drugs for me, pussy and religion is all I need. Grab my hand and baby we'll live a hell of a life." The beat breaks down for about 30 seconds in the last minute and a half where it transitions into Ye singing where accompanied he's accompanied by a choir and then breaks back down for the last 30 seconds into girls moaning and Ye breathing. Overall (10/10)

Blame Game: One of the most beautiful songs on the album. John Legends voice makes this song what it is and the beat is just phenomenal. Strings, piano, drums - all of it fits perfectly. Ye's verses are amazing as well. He really digs deep into his relationship with Amber and you really get some crazy details like her brother using Ye's money to buy coke (or so it seems) and Ye choking her. Ye's got two verses that are exceptional. The first verse is MUCH longer then you'd think. There's parts where his voice is altered to sound deeper, lower, higher, quieter simultaneously. It's crazy but it shows, sonically the demons he was battling. The song sort of breaks down lyrically after the 3:30 mark with Ye doing a spoken word piece for 30 seconds and then into him singing the hook immediately after that til about the 4:55 mark. He goes into another rap/spoken word piece for a couple bars that then transitions into a Chris Rock piece. Chris pretty much talks about pussy. Pussy in every kind of way of the relationship. It's funny but still suitable to the song. All I'm going to say is "Yeezy taught me" will be the next KTT catch phrase. (10/10)

Lost in the World: There is only one Ye verse on this. The drums are different and I honestly don't like it. I'm disappointed by this song because the Runaway version sounded so much better then this and honestly if you have that version try mastering it and using that one because it's better then this. The new drums ruin it for me, but that's just my opinion. The only time the new drums sound okay is towards the end of the song when the hook picks up. However the beat changes up going very subtle at the 3:27 mark with a robotic sounding voice singing over the hook. Then the beat changes again into the chanting bit and ends at that segueing into the outro. I don't hate the song but I'm just not going to use this version. The Runaway film version is better. Still a great song though (9/10) for this version (10/10) for the film version.

Who Will Survive in America: This outro the last bit you heard with Gill Heron from all the LITW leaks. It's a good outro and a nice way to end the album. I can't really rate this but if i I were to it would be a perfect 10 out of 10. (10/10)

Overall: Album is amazing. This could be a classic but there are a few slight let downs as far as bits of AOTL go, the new drums on LITW and the G.O.O.D. Friday songs that we've heard (in the sense that they aren't new to us) with the exception of DIAND. I still think many of you will be pleasantly surprised and enjoy MBDTF. Taking into account that we haven't even heard the bonus tracks yet is crazy to think that this album sounds this good and could sound even better with the addition of the bonus songs. There's almost no question this will be a classic.

My personal rating based on the numbers I gave and calculated which = 9.4/10. It's pretty much perfect. I'll wait to throw around the word 'classic' though

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
if you watched the runaway film. youve heard the album basically.

Kinda disappointed in that regard. but oh well.

On to Watch the Throne

·
Banned
23,309 Posts
Dark Fantasy  9/10
Gorgeous - 10/10
Power - 8.5/10
All of the Lights (Interlude) - 7/10
All of the Lights - 9/10
Monster - 8/10
So Appalled -8/10
Devil in a New Dress - 10/10
Runaway - 9.5/10
Hell of a Life -  10/10
Blame Game - 9/10
Lost in the World - 8.5/10
Who Will Survive in America - 6/10
OVERALL - 9/10

UPDATE After listening to All of the Light INterlude I just fell in love with it. 10/10

·
Registered
69 Posts
Deon said:
]Deon's In Depth Review?[/b][/u]

NOTE: I'm only a few listens in so things may change and grow on me.

Dark Fantasy: Ye re-spit his verses. Meaning there are no new verses but just that he spit them with more charisma or "bravado" so-to-speak. Nicki Minaj is in the intro of the song, although I think the Runaway version with her sounded better. Ye's verses re-spit was good but I'm still feeling the Runaway version more as well.My guess is that he spit those verses more laid back because of the scene he was doing. There's also another artist on this but I'm not sure who she is. She sings the words "so high" as well as adlibs in the background over the intro, chorus and end. There's a part in the end where it's just her and the hook in somewhat of a beat breakdown (but not really) that sounds dope. Some may disagree and find her addition to the song a bit annoying at first but in any case it was a great song and great intro. (9/10)

Gorgeous: In comparison to what you heard from the Runaway film this song is THAT much better. Three verses from Ye make this song the most lyrical track on the album in my opinion and with Cudi on the hook this is easily going to be a favorite of many people. Raekwon is on the joint at the end and while normal rap songs can usually only keep a person's attention span for under five minutes hearing Rae over the beat didn't bore me or sound redundant. He added a nice little touch to an already great track. I will say though that, that might be because the beat changes up a bit and sounds more somber with a nice guitar riff, piano and light drums over it but overall song is dope. (9.5/10)

Power: There are absolutely no changes to it. Sounds exactly the same from what all of us have heard before. Which means I'm going to have to try and edit the song and throw in the Runaway film bit cause that shit was dope. In any case the song is great as is and IMO will become an anthem once Ye starts touring. Power is certainly the most recognizable song and the most anthemic, but again just my opinion. Since this song has been out for awhile it does lower it's score but I'm going to pretend as if all these songs are fresh and solely by that I'd have to say this song is damn near perfect Flow's on point, hook is catchy, beat is amazing. (9.5/10)

All of the Lights Interlude: There isn't really a need to rate an interlude but to be honest if I were to rate this it would be a perfect 10 out 10. This may just be the most beautiful thing I've ever heard in my life. The strings, the piano and everything coming together so perfectly and seamlessly makes the perfect introduction to the banger that AOTL is. (10/10)

All of the Lights: I didn't listen to any other version that got leaked after the Runaway film so I'm not sure which of the versions the rest of ya'll heard. Regardless this song is amazing. Does it live up to some peoples expectations...well yes and no. I know some people were certainly hyped through the roof about this but after reading comments about the recent leak that had all the features on it people seemed to be disappointed. The song sounds perfect from the start to about 2:43 which is when the beat breaks and transitions. Cue the features.I personally don't like Cudi's part because he sounds way too hyped/loud for the track. He should've kept Drake. Fergie is still on the track but asides from her 'different' sounding lines about having a credit card declined there is a bit with her at the end of her feature bit transitions into Rihanna that sounds great. The part with Elton John is great but again I felt like he was too loud/hyped sounding the moment of the song. I felt like he should've sounded more somber/lighter then gradually go louder so they could build the beat back up and spazz for the last bit. With that being said Elly sounds amazing towards the last bit. Her part is small but certainly adds to the song rather then take away like Cudi's did. Overall I was slightly disappointed and I may have to edit some bits myself but I still think the song is amazing. As for the rest of you, you'll either really love the way the features worked out or dislike it BUT you'll still love the song because of the genius of it. Who knew the biggest banger of the album would be about the VMA's and Ye's return to hip-hop (9/10)

Note: This song is growing on me, the more I listen to it. ^

Monster: This song is like Power in the sense that it's exactly the same. Nothing has been taken away or added. Jay's verse was okay and Rick Ross doesn't really add much but the songs strongest points are Ye and Nicki. Simply put it's still a great song but not on the level of the tracks prior to this one. I still dig it though. (8.5/10)

So Appalled: Some may feel like it shouldn't be on the album and I would probably agree but for whatever reason it still works. I guess in listeners minds it's probably because we've heard this song for so long that it just doesn't sound fresh to us. However for those who have lived under rock long enough to miss this song you'll love it. I still dig the song despite how long it's been and the fact that it's been released through the G.O.O.D. Fridays. Nothings changed in the song for those who have listened though. Ye, Jay, Pusha, Cyhi are great. Could have done without Swizz and RZA but all in all still a dope song. (8.75/10)

Devil in a New Dress:Amazing beat, amazing verse, amazing hook. This song was perfect the way it was when we heard it. Everything was just so smooth and the sample was used perfectly and to my delight this song still is that way even with the addition of Ross. he actually didn't take away from it the way you would think. I could've gone for another Ye verse but I'm still happy about the way the track came out. The guitar solo was great. It's about a minute + that's accompanied by strings, violin, piano and then beat again. Cue Ross' verse and the song is complete. Sounds just as great if not better then it did the first time around. (10/10)

Runaway: Simple song, simple beat with a catchy hook and all the samples we wanted on it. The intro is longer then usual with with the same note playing for the first 20 seconds but then the other piano keys come into play.Ye's first verse is still the same and could've been better but works for what the songs worth and Pusha's verse(the same) is great too. It should be noted that the samples we wanted are also within Pusha's verse but work better then what we had originally though based on that performance they had a month or so ago where it seemed Kanye was fucking up Pusha's flow.  After the six minute there's three minutes of Ye with auto tune. It seems kind of redundant and monotonous but still works. Some of it you can't really make out but you can still feel the emotional that it adds to the song. Overall this song is still great. (9/10)

Hell of a Life:
This was IMO the biggest surprise of the album. I did not expect this song to become one of my favorites given the hype of AOTL and LITW but this one track everyone is going to be bumping. That muffled effect that Ye had on his verses are gone and he spits strait. The verses are the same and the hook is amazing. Ye's singing over the hook is dope. I'm talking like CD/LR hook singing dope. "Have you lost your mind, tell me when you think we crossed the line. No more drugs for me, pussy and religion is all I need. Grab my hand and baby we'll live a hell of a life." The beat breaks down for about 30 seconds in the last minute and a half where it transitions into Ye singing where accompanied he's accompanied by a choir and then breaks back down for the last 30 seconds into girls moaning and Ye breathing. Overall (10/10)

Blame Game: One of the most beautiful songs on the album. John Legends voice makes this song what it is and the beat is just phenomenal. Strings, piano, drums - all of it fits perfectly. Ye's verses are amazing as well. He really digs deep into his relationship with Amber and you really get some crazy details like her brother using Ye's money to buy coke (or so it seems) and Ye choking her. Ye's got two verses that are exceptional. The first verse is MUCH longer then you'd think. There's parts where his voice is altered to sound deeper, lower, higher, quieter simultaneously. It's crazy but it shows, sonically the demons he was battling. The song sort of breaks down lyrically after the 3:30 mark with Ye doing a spoken word piece for 30 seconds and then into him singing the hook immediately after that til about the 4:55 mark. He goes into another rap/spoken word piece for a couple bars that then transitions into a Chris Rock piece. Chris pretty much talks about pussy. Pussy in every kind of way of the relationship. It's funny but still suitable to the song. All I'm going to say is "Yeezy taught me" will be the next KTT catch phrase. (10/10)

Lost in the World: There is only one Ye verse on this. The drums are different and I honestly don't like it. I'm disappointed by this song because the Runaway version sounded so much better then this and honestly if you have that version try mastering it and using that one because it's better then this. The new drums ruin it for me, but that's just my opinion. The only time the new drums sound okay is towards the end of the song when the hook picks up. However the beat changes up going very subtle at the 3:27 mark with a robotic sounding voice singing over the hook. Then the beat changes again into the chanting bit and ends at that segueing into the outro. I don't hate the song but I'm just not going to use this version. The Runaway film version is better. Still a great song though (9/10) for this version (10/10) for the film version.

Who Will Survive in America: This outro the last bit you heard with Gill Heron from all the LITW leaks. It's a good outro and a nice way to end the album. I can't really rate this but if i I were to it would be a perfect 10 out of 10. (10/10)

Overall: Album is amazing. This could be a classic but there are a few slight let downs as far as bits of AOTL go, the new drums on LITW and the G.O.O.D. Friday songs that we've heard (in the sense that they aren't new to us) with the exception of DIAND. I still think many of you will be pleasantly surprised and enjoy MBDTF. Taking into account that we haven't even heard the bonus tracks yet is crazy to think that this album sounds this good and could sound even better with the addition of the bonus songs. There's almost no question this will be a classic.

My personal rating based on the numbers I gave and calculated which = 9.4/10. It's pretty much perfect. I'll wait to throw around the word 'classic' though
Great review!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts