Kanye to The banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres some of Jays lines from no church in the wild

"Is Pius pious cause God loves pious?
Socrates asked whos bias do yall seek?
All for Plato, screech
Im out here balling, i know yall hear my sneaks"

I never could completely comprehend what these lines contained when listening to the song, but when i decided to look up the full meaning of them, i was stunned by Jay's insane wordplay. I knew he was one of the best to ever rap, but this shit transends Nas, who i before considered the greatest rapper of all time. At first glance, these lyrics might not seem super crazy, but if you look at the complete meaning of them, you will see the insanity of them. Heres the link to a site where you can see the full meaning, i dont feel like typing it.

http://rapgenius.com/Kanye-west-no-church-in-the-wild-lyrics
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,277 Posts
It's just a reference to Euthyphro and one of Socrates' beliefs, I mean not to downplay Jay or anything because it's a rare of a reference but the lines get most their meaning and depth from what Plato and Socrates said, not Jay.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
50,090 Posts
John Wayne said:
sorry to be a dumbass but wtf is "russel aint the only russel" mean
There's a lot of famous people named Russell who are rich as fuck. Russell Simmons, Crowe, Brand, etc.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trini_Bwoi said:
It's just a reference to Euthyphro and one of Socrates' beliefs, I mean not to downplay Jay or anything because it's a rare of a reference but the lines get most their meaning and depth from what Plato and Socrates said, not Jay.
What got me wasnt the reference to them necessarily, but how he used the screech (which is a reference to socrates that the vast majority of people wouldnt catch) to not only resemble the "screech" that socrates philosophies made, but also how he changed it to how his sneaks screech, which in turn compared socrates to jay, thats lyrical genius if ive ever seen it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
Of course this album was lyrical. The historical/cultural references, technical rhyming and varied/abundant use of literary devices were all present throughout the album.

People who say the album wasn't "lyrical" actually mean to say that they didn't take interest in WHAT they were saying, which is subjective and is also a cop-out of giving WTT its props from a lyrical standpoint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,277 Posts
barrano247 said:
What got me wasnt the reference to them necessarily, but how he used the screech (which is a reference to socrates that the vast majority of people wouldnt catch) to not only resemble the "screech" that socrates philosophies made, but also how he changed it to how his sneaks screech, which in turn compared socrates to jay, thats lyrical genius if ive ever seen it.
I didn't even catch is how does screech refer to Socrates :ohno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,646 Posts
John Wayne said:
sorry to be a dumbass but wtf is "russel aint the only russel" mean
Bill Russel, Russell Simmons, Niomi Russell, Russell Brand, Russell Crowe ALL GOT HELLA MONEY lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,277 Posts
Reeeeeeach imo but

I_AM_LEGEND said:
Of course this album was lyrical. The historical/cultural references, technical rhyming and varied/abundant use of literary devices were all present throughout the album.

People who say the album wasn't "lyrical" actually mean to say that they didn't take interest in WHAT they were saying, which is subjective and is also a cop-out of giving WTT its props from a lyrical standpoint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
Trini_Bwoi said:
Reeeeeeach imo but
Ain't a reach. Listen to the songs - even the more materialistic records got people asking for lyric explanations because stuff is flying over their heads.

Some people act like you gotta rap about coke tales or Africa to be "lyrical". Enough with that nonsense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56,642 Posts
I_AM_LEGEND said:
Of course this album was lyrical. The historical/cultural references, technical rhyming and varied/abundant use of literary devices were all present throughout the album.

People who say the album wasn't "lyrical" actually mean to say that they didn't take interest in WHAT they were saying, which is subjective and is also a cop-out of giving WTT its props from a lyrical standpoint.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
165,645 Posts
Album is lyrical, its just that they aren't impressing anyone upon first listen. It goes over many peoples heads and they just think that Jay and Ye are being whack because Jay has been whack for a while and Ye was never that impressive of a rapper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,277 Posts
I_AM_LEGEND said:
Ain't a reach. Listen to the songs - even the more materialistic records got people asking for lyric explanations because stuff is flying over their heads.

Some people act like you gotta rap about coke tales or Africa to be "lyrical". Enough with that nonsense.
The word 'screech' referring to Socrates' social gadfly doesn't make sense tbh especially with 'all for Plato' coming before it. I know WTT's pretty lyrical but not everything is, screech = reach :tash:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top