Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
28,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to to be shy around people i dont know.That is a big barrier in my life that stops me from talking to girls i like,people i find interesting(chill people),and become a bad conversationalist.I am very quiet around people and im starting to careless about life in general.I cant hold a interesting(or any)conversation for more than 5 seconds.Also i lack confidence but i heard working out helps make you more confident,so im trying that out this week before school starts(upcoming monday for me)to see if it works.Any advice on how to help me improve myself????

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have the exact same problem. My good friends I'm really comfortable with and have great conversations, but anyone new and I freeze. I think its just confidence. Now, how to get that confidence is a different beast entirely. I just tell myself that I'm chill as fuck so whateva.... doesn't really work 0_o haha

·
Banned
30,437 Posts
Speaking as someone who overthinks, there is little you can do about it. Ironically, acknowledging your overthinking will help calm it. It's no use to 'man up' and try to act like it's no there. That's not how your brain works.

·
Registered
41,149 Posts
AnnaJ said:
Do you have a job that forces you to be social, interact, and meet new people?
This is what helped me. I used to be pretty shy too but when I got my job as a cashier it pretty much forced me to have conversations. Good practice. Its cool because you meet a lot of different people and even if the convo fails, you won't see 99% of the customers ever again.

·
Banned
3,813 Posts
The only way is to put yourself out there.
Job, Sports, Gym, activities.

Conjure up an overstimulating Ego.

You're better than everyone else. Simple as that.

·
Banned
30,437 Posts
Job, activites, gym, etc etc are all great methods.

Being shy is really a thing that lends itself to exposure, exposure, exposure. Just keep going to social functions and you'll become more at ease. You'll never be the George Clooney of sociability, but you can become a bit more comfortable with others :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Atm you're telling yourself 'I don't approach girls because i'm shy.'  Which assumes that the fact you're shy is stopping you from approaching.

Now if you were to say 'I'm shy because I don't approach girls,'  the only thing getting in the way of you becoming not shy is approaching girls. 

Some people are naturally more extroverted,  but anybody can be confident,  its literally driven by your own self thought.  Next time you feel nervous to approach someone or talk to someone, do it anyway.  Say anything. 

Read more,  it'll give you a wider insight in life and make you a naturally more interesting person.  Read the newspaper, watch the news, most importantly get out and live life so you have things to talk about.

The more you think about talking the harder it is.  Talk slower, don't rush, be in control.  Talk about ANYTHING and let the rest flow naturally.

Challenge yourself,  put yourself in situations where you feel your heart beating and you're shitting yourself,  i.e. approaching a random girl you find attractive. 

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.