Kanye to The banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
27,694 Posts
Bliss said:
Good Post. :h5: also, Eminem is still played on the radio (occasionally Recovery stuff still, but mostly Bad Meets Evil)
i think they allow eminem so much just because of his appeal to the average person, and dare i say his skin tone, in all honesty

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Shaman said:
the reason it was snubbed wasnt sales, it wasnt the musicality obviously, it wasnt even his personality. I think it was because they (the rich white people, the government, etc.) are trying to push out hip hop from culture. 2011 was a great year for rap, but if you have been paying attention it has never had a worse year commercially since the 90's. The only people with songs on the radio are drake and lil wayne, excluding otis and NIP. Also nicki minaj. Thats because these people are "acceptable", they dont offer any threat of instilling new ideas or expanding thought to the average person, not just kids. MBDTF was deep, dark, and largely negative, which are all things america is starting to hate more and more. The darkes thing they allow is something like 21, which is filled with pain related to relationships, but looking at it from a universal perspective its nothing compared to the things hip hop goes over. I know MBDTF isnt really so "dark" in the way hip hop is known to be, but it is a symbol for the expulsion of hip hop as a whole from pop culture, or rather real hip hop.
good point

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Cool thing is he's gonna release his next album before the cut-off date of the next grammys... and this snub is gonna drive him to create his best album yet. lol

·
Registered
19,895 Posts
Shaman said:
the reason it was snubbed wasnt sales, it wasnt the musicality obviously, it wasnt even his personality. I think it was because they (the rich white people, the government, etc.) are trying to push out hip hop from culture. 2011 was a great year for rap, but if you have been paying attention it has never had a worse year commercially since the 90's. The only people with songs on the radio are drake and lil wayne, excluding otis and NIP. Also nicki minaj. Thats because these people are "acceptable", they dont offer any threat of instilling new ideas or expanding thought to the average person, not just kids. MBDTF was deep, dark, and largely negative, which are all things america is starting to hate more and more. The darkes thing they allow is something like 21, which is filled with pain related to relationships, but looking at it from a universal perspective its nothing compared to the things hip hop goes over. I know MBDTF isnt really so "dark" in the way hip hop is known to be, but it is a symbol for the expulsion of hip hop as a whole from pop culture, or rather real hip hop.
I know everyone loves this post, but I'm gonna have to disagree. There are A LOT of artists on the radio, but the songs that appeal to the mainstream and have hot beats are going to be popular regardless. Lupe gets a lot of play and he tries to instill new ideas in people. Heck, even Kanye does. Power was all over the radio when it first dropped "the system broken, the school's closed the prison's open". Dark music doesn't always appeal to the mainstream. Even though MBDTF is dark and should've got nominated for AOTY, there were clearly other reasons why it wasn't nominated. If anything, America is more aware now more than ever because of social networks, high speed Internet, mobile devices etc. Ideas are being shared all the time. Just look at how many people mention the Illuminati on a regular basis. 3 years ago me and my friends were the only ones in my school who even knew about the Illuminati.

·
Banned
27,694 Posts
koedog. said:
I know everyone loves this post, but I'm gonna have to disagree. There are A LOT of artists on the radio, but the songs that appeal to the mainstream and have hot beats are going to be popular regardless. Lupe gets a lot of play and he tries to instill new ideas in people. Heck, even Kanye does. Power was all over the radio when it first dropped "the system broken, the school's closed the prison's open". Dark music doesn't always appeal to the mainstream. Even though MBDTF is dark and should've got nominated for AOTY, there were clearly other reasons why it wasn't nominated. If anything, America is more aware now more than ever because of social networks, high speed Internet, mobile devices etc. Ideas are being shared all the time. Just look at how many people mention the Illuminati on a regular basis. 3 years ago me and my friends were the only ones in my school who even knew about the Illuminati.
I know, they dont like it lol so theyre trying to stop it, the illuminati thing is just silly tho. But lasers didnt get that much play especially on top 40 stations, only the show goes on and the song he did with trey songs but that was super poppy. But yea kanye is like one of those dudes that they hate but he makes such good shit that they cant completely, the media and pretty much most of america hates him but what can they do hes a great musician. But when it comes things like the grammys where they have complete control then they can keep him out.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Shaman said:

lol. Rich white people sit in a room and plot ways to discriminate against hip hop. The same rich white people who work at all the major magazines who gave the album perfect scores?? I honestly dont know how albums get nominated, but I do know that a big part of it is artists and other important people in the business voting on it. The album was almost unanimously heralded as a masterpiece by EVERYONE. Masterpieces usually aren't understood by the public. Many of history's most famed artists werent even recognized for their work until after they were dead. Hip-hop is still the "new", rebellious music that many older people dont understand. The same way Elvis, or the Beatles werent liked by parents because of the way they pushed the boundaries of what was acceptable, maybe the mainstream doesn't quite grasp what Kanye is doing. The album is very deep and I think it digs at not only Kanye's faults, but at faults that we all have. He is talking about himself, but shit like "how could you say they live their life wrong, when you never fuck with teh lights on" might be confronting some of the people who vote on this type of stuff. Maybe they dont like that thrown in their face. That being said, I have no clue how it wasnt nominated, but do we have to resort to the default "rich white people are oppressing us" bullshit.  :kanyeshrug:

·
Banned
27,694 Posts
drj2232 said:
lol. Rich white people sit in a room and plot ways to discriminate against hip hop. The same rich white people who work at all the major magazines who gave the album perfect scores?? I honestly dont know how albums get nominated, but I do know that a big part of it is artists and other important people in the business voting on it. The album was almost unanimously heralded as a masterpiece by EVERYONE. Masterpieces usually aren't understood by the public. Many of history's most famed artists werent even recognized for their work until after they were dead. Hip-hop is still the "new", rebellious music that many older people dont understand. The same way Elvis, or the Beatles werent liked by parents because of the way they pushed the boundaries of what was acceptable, maybe the mainstream doesn't quite grasp what Kanye is doing. The album is very deep and I think it digs at not only Kanye's faults, but at faults that we all have. He is talking about himself, but shit like "how could you say they live their life wrong, when you never fuck with teh lights on" might be confronting some of the people who vote on this type of stuff. Maybe they dont like that thrown in their face. That being said, I have no clue how it wasnt nominated, but do we have to resort to the default "rich white people are oppressing us" bullshit.  :kanyeshrug:

Yes, yes we do. Because if we dont do something about it, it will get worse.

·
Registered
28,180 Posts
Shaman said:
Oh shit...

·
Registered
195,493 Posts
koedog. said:
On a radio station that plays all types of music, really on the ones he listed are played, at least in the NW, but on a hip hop radio station is where you hear the others.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Comparing Kanye to other hip hop is a bit beside the point because he’s moved far away from making traditional hip hop. But maybe that’s something that hip hop fans have noticed while those who don’t care for hip hop or for him put the genre and him into a box long ago and never bothered to reconsider. So no matter how much he grows some will never care.
Yes.

·
0 Posts
If I had nine Grammy nominations I wouldn't give a fuck about not having nine lol.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Shaman said:
NICE

41 - 60 of 65 Posts