Kanye to The banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,481 Posts
Shaman said:
the reason it was snubbed wasnt sales, it wasnt the musicality obviously, it wasnt even his personality. I think it was because they (the rich white people, the government, etc.) are trying to push out hip hop from culture. 2011 was a great year for rap, but if you have been paying attention it has never had a worse year commercially since the 90's. The only people with songs on the radio are drake and lil wayne, excluding otis and NIP. Also nicki minaj. Thats because these people are "acceptable", they dont offer any threat of instilling new ideas or expanding thought to the average person, not just kids. MBDTF was deep, dark, and largely negative, which are all things america is starting to hate more and more. The darkes thing they allow is something like 21, which is filled with pain related to relationships, but looking at it from a universal perspective its nothing compared to the things hip hop goes over. I know MBDTF isnt really so "dark" in the way hip hop is known to be, but it is a symbol for the expulsion of hip hop as a whole from pop culture, or rather real hip hop.
standard conspiracy theory bullshit  imo :sarc2: people just love to hate on Kanye period

·
Banned
27,694 Posts
NoTacos said:
standard conspiracy theory bullshit  imo :sarc2: people just love to hate on Kanye period
Not rly he got like 8 nominations, just not in the most important catagories because those are the ones people pay attention to, and they dont want people to pay attention to hip hop. Although i guess that makes no sense considering that they did a performance of the message with some of the most conscious rappers at the grammy nomination thing, which contradicts my ideas. Or does it 0.o

·
Premium Member
7,481 Posts
Shaman said:
Not rly he got like 8 nominations, just not in the most important catagories because those are the ones people pay attention to, and they dont want people to pay attention to hip hop. Although i guess that makes no sense considering that they did a performance of the message with some of the most conscious rappers at the grammy nomination thing, which contradicts my ideas. Or does it 0.o
once again, TL DR. going away to study for this econ final atm. Good luck with blaming the white people for everything wrong in the world of music.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
"Predictably, Grammy tends toward pop-friendly hip hop that’s easily understood by those who don’t understand hip hop. Pop in this regard is not meant as an insult, it’s merely music palatable to non-aficionados of the genre."

Probably the closest we will get to why it wasn't nominated. Insightful article.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Shaman said:
the reason it was snubbed wasnt sales, it wasnt the musicality obviously, it wasnt even his personality. I think it was because they (the rich white people, the government, etc.) are trying to push out hip hop from culture. 2011 was a great year for rap, but if you have been paying attention it has never had a worse year commercially since the 90's. The only people with songs on the radio are drake and lil wayne, excluding otis and NIP. Also nicki minaj. Thats because these people are "acceptable", they dont offer any threat of instilling new ideas or expanding thought to the average person, not just kids. MBDTF was deep, dark, and largely negative, which are all things america is starting to hate more and more. The darkes thing they allow is something like 21, which is filled with pain related to relationships, but looking at it from a universal perspective its nothing compared to the things hip hop goes over. I know MBDTF isnt really so "dark" in the way hip hop is known to be, but it is a symbol for the expulsion of hip hop as a whole from pop culture, or rather real hip hop.
Are you a sociology major? This is dissertation-type material. I might as well call you Dr. Shaman, Ph.D.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Shaman said:
the reason it was snubbed wasnt sales, it wasnt the musicality obviously, it wasnt even his personality. I think it was because they (the rich white people, the government, etc.) are trying to push out hip hop from culture.
Thanks, this is probably the most insightful and clever post i've ever seen (in my entire life). Keep up the good work, there's probably a link between Kanye not being nominated at the grammys and 9/11, prolly the same person pulling the string bro, GENIUS.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Shaman said:
im 16 lol but sociology is somethin im interested in
I hope you keep at it. That was one of the deepest, realest posts that I've seen on this website in a while. Good stuff.

·
Banned
27,694 Posts
0ff said:
Thanks, this is probably the most insightful and clever post i've ever seen (in my entire life). Keep up the good work, there's probably a link between Kanye not being nominated at the grammys and 9/11, prolly the same person pulling the string bro, GENIUS.
not sure if srs

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Shaman said:
you raise some very interesting points  :eek:ghat:

·
Registered
56,642 Posts
Shaman said:
:golfclap:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Shaman said:
yea - and maybe they're not too fond of lines like "I treat my cash the way the government treat aids: I'm not satisfied 'til all my niggas get it"

·
Registered
436 Posts
Shaman said:
THIS.

I also don't really give a shit about Grammys myself, and I'm glad someone understands it in a similar way. I also think  money and connections got a lot to do with this.

·
Registered
195,493 Posts
Shaman said:
Good Post. :h5: also, Eminem is still played on the radio (occasionally Recovery stuff still, but mostly Bad Meets Evil)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I think perhaps the most disturbing part of MBDTF being snubbed is that it shows how resistant the industry still is to acknowledge how great a rap album can be. Unless I'm mistaken, Lauryn Hill and OutKast are still the only two hip hop acts to win album of the year, and both of those albums weren't 100% hip hop. When you look at the nominations Ye did get, it's like they wanted to give him as much as possible without giving him the big one. It makes no sense whatsoever that Graduation could have been nominated for album of the year (partially because it was popular) but MBDTF couldn't.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I wanted to post this in the comment section but i couldnt:

"Nothing is groundbreaking about any of those albums nominated for AOTY.
Theyre probably good but thats it. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is an amazing album..
most of you just listen to the media and take their word for it and believe kanye is an asshole.
but how many times has the media actually talked well about someone? Same thing with Michael Jackson everyone talked bad about him yet he was the nicest man ever.
They scrutinize every single bad thing and ignore all the good things.
Kanye had his bad moments but who doesnt? Seriously you all point fingers like if you're the most innocent person.
What have you guys done with your life?"

21 - 40 of 65 Posts