Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I may be late on posting this because someone may have already posed this question or spoke about this before I figured it's a new site, a new forum so why not start fresh? I figured why not talk about thrift shopping and the art of re-use since it has everything to do with style and everything to do with the fact that many people are paying inflated prices for garments that cost less then a quarter of merchants' selling prices.

There has always been this negative stigma and ideology that came to the notion of thrift shopping. Sadly what people fail to realize is that although many of us may have champagne tastes we've got beer drinking pockets. As you can tell those two things just don't add up and at some point something has got to give. Are you really going to spend 500$ to get a Wings & Horn Jacket or find an alternative? I'm thinking most would find an alternative. Which is why I have to ask.

I'm not sure how y'all may feel about this but to me thrift shopping is something that really defines my lifestyle, tastes as well as ideologies that I have as a shopping enthusiast. I came across a great little documentary from a group of 'style connoisseurs' so-to-speak that delves into the notion of this kind of shopping and I wondered what KTT's thoughts were on this.

Check the video below and posts your thoughts if any.

http://vimeo.com/11341190

P.S. - Anyone know how to embed videos or know if it is even possible yet?

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
you know, its really the look you are going for...
i mean, no matter what, thrift shops are NOT bad.
its about looking good, not how much money you spend.
pick up a pair of boots your size, maybe a hat or a tie.
sure an outdated suit would be something to avoid but you should never compromise an item with potential because you saw it doesnt have a hefty price tag or because somebody donated it.

·
Registered
30,013 Posts
Thrift shops are great!
You can find the best blazers/jackets at thrift shops and they only cost a couple of dollars. I only use thrift shops for jackets and blazers though, because they are probably the easiest thing to get tailored. I'd feel weird if i were to buy shoes, shirts or pants.

Also, you can find the best old school crap in thrift stores. I found a radiohead vhs and bought it for $1.

·
Registered
554 Posts
i think its dope if you go to cop like vintage jeans and jean jackets.....my boy found a chicago bulls snap back there once ima go cop a jean jack later because its starting to get cold

·
Registered
56 Posts
I love thrift shopping, I find so many jackets and sweaters that I like in my own taste everytime I go. You can find whatever your style pertains to if you look hard enough. Not to mention how much money you save!

·
Registered
21,228 Posts
I considered Thrift Shopping to look for Jordans, Nikes, to resell online but to do that you have to go like everyday to find something and I can't do that atm.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I try going once a month. thrift stores are great for plaid shirts, jean jackets, crazy prints, & obscure shirts like this....

cost me 99 cents :stronger:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
interesting video. I've actually never been thrift shopping before in my life. Definitely gonna go after watching that.

is goodwill a good place to go?

·
Registered
921 Posts
That video and entire organization is awesome, thrift shopping is such an interesting idea- especially since vintage is the new hipster thing. I'm hittin' up goodwill soon, Hahah.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jackie Lo said:
I try going once a month. thrift stores are great for plaid shirts, jean jackets, crazy prints, & obscure shirts like this....

cost me 99 cents :stronger:
<3

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
BGG said:
interesting video. I've actually never been thrift shopping before in my life. Definitely gonna go after watching that.

is goodwill a good place to go?
Salv is better. but mom and pops are the best generally. it always depends on the area though. Salvs and goodwills vary greatly according to location
am a thrift store connoisseur btw even though i rarely buy clothes at them

that documentary on thrift shopping in the OP is wicked silly though...
i wouldn't leave the house in some of the stuff they're wearing and i hate how their talking about it like its something so rare. plus why exactly do they want to spread knowledge about thrift shopping? that will really mess up their game...the stores will dry up if everyone is going in their

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Lil' Wayne said:
I'm trying to up my snapback game, do thrift shops usually have decent snapbacks, or are they dirty?
its impossible to say, you just have to go in and look. a friend of mine has a crazy snap back game and he swears by the Salv as his source. chances are that a white hat would be discolored though

1 - 20 of 37 Posts