Kanye to The banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
RelaxRelapse said:
Drake had 3 free mixtapes, and then did an actual album. The only difference between his mixtapes and J. Coles is that he didn't continue to put out mixtapes when he blew up.
Drake's first two was under the rader for the most part, Comeback Season got him the Wayne connection

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Santiago said:
not trying to be mean or anything but NOBODY here has a big enough fanbase to warrant selling an album. at this point in their careers its more important to get people to hear it than to make money off it.
true, I sold a good amount of my album digital, because thats all it was. Half of the year it was for free, until I put a price on it.

My friend said he needs to start making money from his rapping career, he doesn't want to be 30 struggling with the rap shit. I don't want to be like that guy

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Ivy Crimson said:
true, I sold a good amount of my album digital, because thats all it was. Half of the year it was for free, until I put a price on it.

My friend said he needs to start making money from his rapping career, he doesn't want to be 30 struggling with the rap shit. I don't want to be like that guy
you asked people to donate for your trip though, not every sale works that way. the opportunity cost of missing out on gaining fans is worse than missing out on a few hundred bucks IF THAT and then nobody ever hears about your album again

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Ivy Crimson said:
Exactly, they get all the profit
So many artists are so hungry to get signed that they give away too many rights and that'll hurt them through out their whole career.

I did a performance a few weeks ago(As a piano player). I named my price early and made about 350 dollars. I got my Xbox repaired finally haha

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Santiago said:
you asked people to donate for your trip though, not every sale works that way. the opportunity cost of missing out on gaining fans is worse than missing out on a few hundred bucks IF THAT and then nobody ever hears about your album again
true, people still purchase it tho. If my friend told me I got in two months before, I wouldn't have asked anyone. I would have gotten the money to go. But it was less than a months timeframe, all of my ideas had to be profit something. The last option was to sell most of my equipment like my drum machine

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
BillyJoel said:
So many artists are so hungry to get signed that they give away too many rights and that'll hurt them through out their whole career.

I did a performance a few weeks ago(As a piano player). I named my price early and made about 350 dollars. I got my Xbox repaired finally haha
you know your worth, and if they pay they pay, if not they don't

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You'll evolve as an artist when you start charging for your albums etc. I can promise you that you'll put even more effort in to your work when you want people to pay for it. And as Ivy Crimson said, even if only a few people
buy it, it's still some money.

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
greenking said:
if you make art for money it's not art anymore, it's a job
I guess everyone has a job then. I'm talking about making music FROM your art. Not making music or art for money

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Ivy Crimson said:
Too much free music I think damages the artist because your listeners will be shocked to have to pay for your music for once. They will get too accustomed to free when you actually want to sell your music - digital or physical
This. I don't mind if its a lesser known act, but I feel like people with major labels screw themselves over with free music. Most of the people listen to their free songs since its one click away and too often their strongest work is in the free music section.

·
Registered
48,640 Posts
Well, I think their comes a time and point that when you become somewhat established with a decent fanbase/following (regardless if you arent signed) and you've worked for that following, you should be able to sell your work without being criticized about it.  Artists put in countless hours and if it truly is worth purchasing, people will buy it. 

I guess it just depends on how the artist feels.. Marc Zuckerburg is a great example. He refused to put advertisements and make money off of facebook because at the time "it was cool" to go on a site not loaded with ads and so forth....but now look at him..

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Eighth said:
Well, I think their comes a time and point that when you become somewhat established with a decent fanbase/following (regardless if you arent signed) and you've worked for that following, you should be able to sell your work without being criticized about it.  Artists put in countless hours and if it truly is worth purchasing, people will buy it. 

I guess it just depends on how the artist feels.. Marc Zuckerburg is a great example. He refused to put advertisements and make money off of facebook because at the time "it was cool" to go on a site not loaded with ads and so forth....but now look at him..
He was going against the grain because it was like a big fuck you because everyone wanted to advertise on a site where 250 plus million people were on at the time

21 - 40 of 40 Posts