Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The internet I think spoils us as consumers, and we feel the need to get a lot of music for free. But in this section, I rarely see anything for a price. CJ's Impulse, M-Trey's 3 AM, Asian's new album all for free. I get the point of reaching it to the masses and probably selling hard copies. But if you want to be an artist, don't you have to sell your art? Is it not worth a price for a digital download. I know a lot of you guys worked hard for months on these projects so why for free?

Sample clearances is probably a huge factor, but the chances of getting sued is really slim. Dangermouse's career was made from that. What about getting original beats, a lot of producers make them. Maybe its not as polished as a well chopped sampled track, but if the artist is concerned about the sample clearance. Everyone wants to be signed, get big, and all that good stuff.. but hows is that going to happened without making profits off the music. The record deal is only a loan, you have to make it all back and some to survive. Just my two cents, I could be wrong but for the sake of discussion

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you're doing it for fun no one will take you seriously, thats how I see it. If I say you gotta pay for it, if it good... they'll pay for it. If you're serious about it I don't think it should be free. ****** go out and buy their fav rappers albums no questions asked but when it comes to your own shit it has to be free? No bueno.

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RobHiko. said:
You need to get fans first, and if fans don't know you AND have to pay to hear you, they simply won't.
Then how do you factor how many fans, CJ got like 800 likes on his page. Someone will buy Impulse, Rafae would buy like 20 copies lol

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RedontheMP said:
If you're doing it for fun no one will take you seriously, thats how I see it. If I say you gotta pay for it, if it good... they'll pay for it. If you're serious about it I don't think it should be free. ****** go out and buy their fav rappers albums no questions asked but when it comes to your own shit it has to be free? No bueno.
Exactly and it has to be worth something, its a product of value. Yeah music is "priceless" but you gotta make money or its just a hobby. Too many people aren't getting paid for this, when does it become a profession.. when you make money from it.

·
Premium Member
72,473 Posts
Ivy Crimson said:
Then how to you factor how many fans, CJ got like 800 likes on his page. Someone will buy Impulse, Rafae would buy like 20 copies lol
Grow a larger fan base. I think that if an artist wants to put out free work they should be able to and vise versa. I think that there will be a time where you would like to gain profit from it but me personally, I would be more happy knowing that my music is actually being heard and enjoyed and even touching people.

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
xela510 said:
Grow a larger fan base. I think that if an artist wants to put out free work they should be able to and vise versa. I think that there will be a time where you would like to gain profit from it but me personally, I would be more happy knowing that my music is actually being heard and enjoyed and even touching people.
you're right, but when are you gotta make money from it? It's not that you want to get paid as a motive but to show labels you're a worthy investment.

·
Registered
25,829 Posts
Ivy Crimson said:
you're right, but when are you gotta make money from it? It's not that you want to get paid as a motive but to show labels you're a worthy investment.
When you start selling out shows

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Too much free music I think damages the artist because your listeners will be shocked to have to pay for your music for once. They will get too accustomed to free when you actually want to sell your music - digital or physical

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RelaxRelapse said:
When you start selling out shows
That's too broad, you need to fans to do that. Free music gets you exposed, everyone knows that. Not even selling out shows, selling out shows you need a large fanbase and you need to be popular to do that. You could book a show and sell music after the show

·
Premium Member
72,473 Posts
Ivy Crimson said:
Too much free music I think damages the artist because your listeners will be shocked to have to pay for your music for once. They will get too accustomed to free when you actually want to sell your music - digital or physical
Thats the thing. Not all your music should be free, unless you intend it to be that way for some odd reason. You should have pieces of work that you work hard on to get paid. Then your fans know that this person is the real deal and that your stuff is worth purchasing.

·
Registered
25,829 Posts
Ivy Crimson said:
That's too broad, you need to fans to do that. Free music gets you exposed, everyone knows that. Not even selling out shows, selling out shows you need a large fanbase and you need to be popular to do that. You could book a show and sell music after the show
That's not completely true. Odd Future was selling out their venues with only free albums out.They got those fans from giving out free music, and letting it spread like wildfire.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If your serious about you're craft don't give it away for free. I feel like the biggest problem in music is that people don't know what they're worth and that there are plenty of opurtunities to get paid if you start looking for it.
People look only to the people that have fame and success and think that that's the only way to make money, to get signed. In a lot of times people who are not signed make more money than the people who are

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Example: J.Cole, it was a waste of time for him to be signed. He still has this underground appeal, putting out free mixtapes. When he actually puts out singles, no one buys it. He could have built his own buzz then sold his debut indie style

Drake on the other hand, had a free mixtape then did an actual album and sold 300,000 first week. He goes between free music and what has a price.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
not trying to be mean or anything but NOBODY here has a big enough fanbase to warrant selling an album. at this point in their careers its more important to get people to hear it than to make money off it.

·
Registered
25,829 Posts
Ivy Crimson said:
Example: J.Cole, it was a waste of time for him to be signed. He still has this underground appeal, putting out free mixtapes. When he actually puts out singles, no one buys it. He could have built his own buzz then sold his debut indie style

Drake on the other hand, had a free mixtape then did an actual album and sold 300,000 first week. He goes between free music and what has a price.
Drake had 3 free mixtapes, and then did an actual album. The only difference between his mixtapes and J. Coles is that he didn't continue to put out mixtapes when he blew up.

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
xela510 said:
Thats the thing. Not all your music should be free, unless you intend it to be that way for some odd reason. You should have pieces of work that you work hard on to get paid. Then your fans know that this person is the real deal and that your stuff is worth purchasing.
Right, like I said too much free music. Some music should have a price and some could be free, its fine like Kanye's GOOD Fridays.. he doesn't do him any good, he is already established. It's for his fans

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BillyJoel said:
If your serious about you're craft don't give it away for free. I feel like the biggest problem in music is that people don't know what they're worth and that there are plenty of opurtunities to get paid if you start looking for it.
People look only to the people that have fame and success and think that that's the only way to make money, to get signed. In a lot of times people who are not signed make more money than the people who are
Exactly, they get all the profit

1 - 20 of 40 Posts