Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this deserves it's own thread.

Racist Hunger Games Fans Are Very Disappointed

The good news? The Hunger Games made $155 million at the box office its opening weekend, making it the third-best debut in North American box office history. The bad news, however, reflects a level of idiocy that we weren't really expecting.

As CNN reports, "Only Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and The Dark Knight - both sequels, with the strength of a franchise behind each - recorded bigger opening weekends." Plus, unlike those two flicks, Hunger Games was written by a woman and stars a woman - a true lady-centric blockbuster franchise.

Now as you may know, Katniss, the main character in the book and film, was described as having "straight black hair" and "olive skin." It's a post-apocalyptic world, so she could be a mix of things, but some pictured a Native American. Blonde-haired, blue-eyed Jennifer Lawrence won the part and dyed her hair dark.

But when it came to the casting of Rue, Thresh, and Cinna, many audience members did not understand why there were black actors playing those parts. Cinna's skin is not discussed in the book, so truthfully, though Lenny Kravitz was cast, a white, Asian or Latino actor could have played the part.

But. On page 45 of Suzanne Collins's book, Katniss sees Rue for the first time:

…And most hauntingly, a twelve-year-old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that's she's very like Prim in size and demeanor…

Later, she sees Thresh:

The boy tribute from District 11, Thresh, has the same dark skin as Rue, gut the resemblance stops there. He's one of the giants, probably six and half feet tall and built like an ox.

Dark skin. That is what the novelist, the creator of the series, specified. But there were plenty of audience members who were "shocked," or confused, or just plain angry.

Below is the article this is copy/pasted from:
http://jezebel.com/5896408/racist-hunger-games-fans-dont-care-how-much-money-the-movie-made

·
Registered
44,262 Posts
Look at all those racist pricks... Wow, I don't even know how these idiots missed that little detail. Pfft...

·
Registered
28,258 Posts
Oh, now it's bad to have black characters in a film. When the book clearly describes them as black.

·
Registered
64,745 Posts
I think we need to recheck our literacy rate. The very fact that they missed this detail is alarming.

·
Registered
64,745 Posts
The worst part about it is that it simply shows how far we have come. Not too far from the looks of things.

·
Registered
21,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lucas Piazon said:
I think we need to recheck our literacy rate. The very fact that they missed this detail is alarming.
You'd be surprised what the mind does when confronted with information like that. I think it's a matter of cognitive distortion and not outright literacy.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
I never read the book so I wouldn't know but people like this are half retarded so their comments are irrelevant.

·
Registered
25,469 Posts
If I ever make it big as a filmmaker, I will make an honest attempt at casting Blacks, Asians, and Latinos (as well as other minorities) in my movies. The sad, but expected, part of this is that this type of thing only takes place in this country.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts