Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do hip hop fans insist on this label?

It's like this weird validation thing but everyone has a different criteria on what defines a classic. Some say it's just a quality threshold some say it has to have a timeless value some say it has to be innovative or a game changer or has to at least have a certain amount of years before you insert that label or show an amount of influence or impact but if we can't all agree wtf is the point?
Calling an album like still brazy a classic is so redundant to me what are you actually even saying
"Oh yea well drake doesn't have Any classics kendrick has 3 so crine

Oh yeah well drake has 4 classic and kendrick has 1 so you mad as shit"

Thus dialogue means nothing classic isn't a tangible thing obviously there are like undeniable "classics" if that has to be a thing like DOSTM, illmatic, thriller, 6kiss

But those albums are like of the most iconic important works of art literally ever how could something like still brazy or born sinner stack up next to thriller for example? Is there some multi tier classic system where there's "undeniable classics" and "new school classics" that shit just seems so dumb to me u don't have to validate your fav albums like that just talk about why they're good the "classic" conversation never goes anywhere anyways cause it's not tangible idk I know I'm going way too deep on this thing but what are your thoughts on this? Should there be some sort of discernible criteria we rate all potential classics up against to see if they can have a classic star next to their name? Do we filter the word classic? Does this thread get derailed and nothing changes? Let me know what you think in the comments below
Genuine pimp
Classics
Forever

·
Registered
20,700 Posts
idk drake has no classics tho

·
Banned
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm hoping all the smart guys on ktt haven't replied yet cos they're working rally hard and taking their time on their thoughtful replies

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
That said, I don't get it either. Just try and enjoy a body of work for what it is. Nope not good enough. You need the validation of several critics (who are music listeners just like you), a superficial 'classic' label and KTT's approval before you can say you think an album is good. Like, go outside, nobody cares.

Besides, calling an album a classic 2 days after it comes out is dumb.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts