Kanye to The banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
The81Slouch said:
And to complete the triple post. Those CTI covers were amazing. Props to Pete Turner
yeah i like reppin good looking covers with uniformity on my expedit. Pete Turner did the more abstract pictures that they used, the landscapes and such. the joe farrell, freddie hubbard and turrentine albums seen above use his photography (never got how he got them to look like drawings btw)

bob ciano gets my props too for make all the albums have the same clean look for over a decade

·
Registered
19,931 Posts
Philosophy said:
yeah i like reppin good looking covers with uniformity on my expedit. Pete Turner did the more abstract pictures that they used, the landscapes and such. the joe farrell, freddie hubbard and turrentine albums seen above use his photography (never got how he got them to look like drawings btw)

bob ciano gets my props too for make all the albums have the same clean look for over a decade
yeah, people would get mad because some albums were not at the level of the covers. But like you said on your review (i think it was for the Grover Washington Jr. album), the CTI catalog is far from straight "wack pop jazz". Of course it had a more mainstream oriented sound sometimes, but jazz had to step forward since people was not listening to hard bop jazz anymore.
BTW, since you recommended me some Freddie Hubbard albums he instantly became my favorite trumpeter (along with Lee Morgan). Everything he plays is so intense that my face is always ":wom:".
You probably listened to that Oliver Nelson classic album "The Blues And The Abstract Truth" [Impulse!]. GODDAMN. he outshines Nelson, he outshines Barrow and outshines even Eric Dolphy (who is just beginning to display his free jazz techniques).
I think you don't even have to know what a trumpet sounds like to recognize "hey, that's freddie hubbard playing".

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The81Slouch said:
yeah, people would get mad because some albums were not at the level of the covers. But like you said on your review (i think it was for the Grover Washington Jr. album), the CTI catalog is far from straight "wack pop jazz". Of course it had a more mainstream oriented sound sometimes, but jazz had to step forward since people was not listening to hard bop jazz anymore.
BTW, since you recommended me some Freddie Hubbard albums he instantly became my favorite trumpeter (along with Lee Morgan). Everything he plays is so intense that my face is always ":wom:".
You probably listened to that Oliver Nelson classic album "The Blues And The Abstract Truth" [Impulse!]. GODDAMN. he outshines Nelson, he outshines Barrow and outshines even Eric Dolphy (who is just beginning to display his free jazz techniques).
I think you don't even have to know what a trumpet sounds like to recognize "hey, that's freddie hubbard playing".
have you heard this

1 - 12 of 12 Posts