Kanye to The banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grantland's Molly Lambert has a great take on Nicki Minaj.

She talks about how she tries to be pop start and rapper at the same time. Great read.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/47094/the-new-nicki-minaj-none-of-it-matters-if-she-cant-rap

Nicki Minaj is in a bad position. She wants so badly to satisfy people and be all things to everyone; pop and rap, mainstream and underground, soft and hard, radio-friendly and NSFW. She wants to have street cred and still sign huge deals with Pepsi. She exists simultaneously as a female rapper surrounded by males and a pop star alongside Katy Perry and Rihanna in the sisterhood of the sparkling hot pants. Minaj's own oeuvre divides her fans into camps, and on Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded she tries to please them all. "Starships" is for the Nicki fans who liked "Super Bass" but don't want "Stupid Hoe." "Stupid Hoe" was for fans of "Massive Attack" and her rawer, older mixtapes. As a result, she comes off sounding like neither Nicki the Barbie nor Nicki the Boss but Nicki the Overstretched. Like Garth Brooks, Eminem, and Beyoncé before her, she turned her split public persona into part of her gimmick, but you can feel her searching for where her actual self lies. Album lowlight "Marilyn Monroe" addresses the struggle of being a privately unsatisfied public sex symbol in the most hackneyed way possible, and feels written for somebody else.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
neph27 said:
this was good
Yeah I thought it things right on the head. She probably used to love rapping for real, but this pop success is definitely going to her head.

·
Registered
10,754 Posts
The only people upset about Nicki or talk shit about Nicki are people that don't even give two shits about her. This album will be her biggest and the haters/critics will be drowned out by her massive success.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jae Rell said:
The only people upset about Nicki or talk shit about Nicki are people that don't even give two shits about her. This album will be her biggest and the haters/critics will be drowned out by her massive success.
Right now it has a 51 on Metacritic. i know it is early, but still.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Jae Rell said:
Massive success? She's on pace to go Gold.

·
Registered
10,754 Posts
Mr West said:
Right now it has a 51 on Metacritic. i know it is early, but still.

I don't care about ratings. I wouldn't rate the album good. 50-60 is right. I'm talking about success in terms of sales and popularity.

BigBlue845 said:
Massive success? She's on pace to go Gold.

The album came out yesterday, lol. Numbers haven't even came in yet. 'Starships' video isn't even out. Her campaign hasn't even fully started.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jae Rell said:
I don't care about ratings. I wouldn't rate the album good. 50-60 is right. I'm talking about success in terms of sales and popularity.

The album came out yesterday, lol. Numbers haven't even came in yet. 'Starships' video isn't even out. Her campaign hasn't even fully started.
If she is just going for massive success and popularity, then that tells you all you need to know about her.

·
Registered
10,754 Posts
Mr West said:
If she is just going for massive success and popularity, then that tells you all you need to know about her.

Of course. I just don't get why people try to box individuals into their own little category. "She is a rapper..why is she doing pop music?"..."Why isn't she rapping?"..."She should just make pop music!"..."You can't rap and do pop music...choose!"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts