Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
26,181 Posts
That's a fucking walking paradox.

"I know that I don't know anything".

If you know that you don't know anything, then you do actually know something. You KNOW that you don't know anything. :fly:

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Chilla said:

If you know that you don't know anything, then you do actually know something. You KNOW that you don't know anything. :fly:
In Apology, Plato relates that:

— This man, on one hand, believes that he knows something, while not knowing [anything]. On the other hand, I - equally ignorant - do not believe [that I know anything].

The impreciseness of the paraphrase of this as "I know that I know nothing" stems from the fact that the author is not saying that he does not know anything but means instead that one cannot know anything with absolute certainty but can feel confident about certain things.

Socrates also deals with this phrase in Plato's dialogue Meno when he says:

—So now I do not know what virtue is; perhaps you knew before you contacted me, but now you are certainly like one who does not know.

Here, Socrates aims at the change of Meno's opinion, who was a firm believer in his own opinion and whose claim to knowledge Socrates had disproved.

It is essentially the question that begins "post-socratic" Western philosophy. Socrates begins all wisdom with wondering, thus one must begin with admitting one's ignorance.

·
Premium Member
43,671 Posts
I believe a better way to word this is something along the lines of "The wisest man is the one who knows he does not know everything."

·
Registered
24,430 Posts
MichaelAFC said:
I believe a better way to word this is something along the lines of "The wisest man is the one who knows he does not know everything."
Agree.

But I also don't think this is all that profound.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chilla said:

That's why I said acknowledge
Chilla said:
I believe the best way to put it is: "I don't know shit *****!"
This actually

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I think a better quote is "you never stop learning". Which is very similar to yours. Only ignorant pos think they know every single thing and they are always right

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Knowledge always needs to be expanded but knowledge is infinite. So it's like you're learning something but you know nothing. Every generation advances their knowledge to the next, that's why history is so important to learn

1 - 20 of 44 Posts