Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
0 Posts
Great read tbh. Was this for a school assignment or something? You definitely have potential to be a great writer.

·
Registered
11,549 Posts
fitterhappier said:
I wrote this a while back in December, and I never thought of sharing it with everyone here. Hopefully this will be an audience that appreciates my work. Hopefully. Anyway, I know it's long, but I think you might like it if you take the time to read it. Thanks for your time.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/46030797/The-Man-The-Myth-The-Beautiful-Dark-Twisted-Fantasy
hey man, this was a great read. Ye haters really need to get their shit together if they're even going to attempt to understand the legendary record that is Twisted Fantasy

edit: ps nice username... a pig.. in a cage... on antibiotics

·
Registered
967 Posts
Dat Ambition.  :datass:

Also I just died after the first paragraph from pure bliss. Ever since MBDTF came out I have been making comparisons of Kanye to Beethoven, Mozart, etc. and people look at me like I'm insane and stupid.
Only difference between Kanye and Beethoven on a musical level are that Beethoven is old, dead, white and never snatched a microphone from someone to call them out on their awful cliche music.

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,359 Posts
I wrote an article comparing Kanye West/MBDTF to the career of Lebron James. Who wants to read? :epic:

·
Registered
808 Posts
This is...beautiful. There is so much I don't understand yet so much I feel is completely in my wheelhouse as if I know exactly from where you are coming. You can take the persona of the intelligentsia while also being able to convey the message of sincerity through supposed youthful ignorance. I admire your studies and analytic work and only hope to understand music and thought processes like that one day. It truly makes me happy to listen to another very intelligent individual speak their beliefs and ideas to the world with such great clarity. I would love to spend my entire life learning every subject and every topic imaginable but social customs require (heavily suggest) that one choose a field in which to specialize. Music, as it looks now, will not be that field, but I do appreciate that other talented minds are using their intelligence in the gamut of intellectual fields present today so that every study should have a great knowledge base from which to work.

I know this is nieve, but I would very much like to have a conversation with you regarding this piece, your thoughts, and your methods while attempting to explain to me many of the references and concepts utilized in this analysis. Thank you,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First of all, thank you for the kind words. It's been kind of discouraging for me because I haven't really gotten too much of a response on this since I wrote it, even though I thought it came out pretty well, so it's nice to find there's some appreciation of my work.

I've certainly been continuing my writing since I completed this, but I've shied away from music-related topics, as I've been growing increasingly disillusioned with the music journalism field. I acknowledge that it's the nature of the beast, but for me, it's too fast-paced. In my experience, it takes several weeks to really internalize an LP, to form a relationship with it. And in order to accurately and fairly form an opinion of it, this internalization must be combined with evaluating the context in which the music was conceived, the influences it draws upon, and how it compares to other music in its genre of the past and present. I find it unjust to the artist and the music to listen an album twice, come up with a half-baked opinion, and then slap some digit out of 10 on something that took months/years to be created.

For instance, my initial intent was to get it done before the Pitchfork review came out to sort of preempt that, but it ended up having to wait until finals were over and I was home for winter break just because of how much time it demanded in order to come out the way I wanted. By this point, every major outlet and every shmohawk with a blogspot had offered their two cents on MBDTF. Some 30-something days after the record was released, it's assumed that all that's going to be said about it has been said. Just put it at the top of the 2010 list and get ready for the January 2011 releases. Now, I'm simplifying and bastardizing this a bit, but you get the point.

I'm going to get off my soapbox now.

@RobHiko This wasn't for school or anything. It ended up being published in several parts in the college newspaper, but that wasn't the impetus. It just got to the point inside my head that I needed to get these ideas down on paper.

@Coldgluegun Feel free to PM me, my friend.

Thanks again for the feedback, everybody.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts