Kanye to The banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I call it the Lil B / Lil Wayne Method, but it's really just pumping out as many songs as possible...  Now this is, in my mind, a really smart way to market yourself. It's probably looked down upon, but if you look at it, it takes a lot of work, and most people who stick to it (ex. Lil B & Lil Wayne) get some sort of recognition in the music industry..

I was wondering what others thought of people doing this..

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I've always rated quality over quantity, but I try not to knock anyone putting alot of energy, hard work and time into quantity. For some people/artists it's all about the money, for Jay-Z for an example - it was all about the money. Back then, you just needed to produce quality to get that - where nowdays, it's the opposite.

So at the end of the day, it's artistic creativity and devolopment vs. bussiness and fame. Some are in it for the first, some are in for the second. But what get's to me, is when some try to act like they are in it for the love, when it's clear that they are in it for the $.

But by any means, get your money, Hip Hop musically hasn't been the same since Life After Death pretty much, things change and that's the way it should be I guess. Luckily though, there are still equally good stuff out there, but just not in the same numbers as we saw for 10 years ago.

·
Registered
25,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Being a musician and a just a music lover in general I agree with what you said..

I don't necessarily like it when people use this method, but I'm impressed. I think the reason Lil Wayne stays so popular is because of how me makes music. The New Boyz had one or two big singles and I haven't heard from them since. While Lil Wayne continues to pump out new music over and over. If he just stopped after Lollipop, back in 08 or whenever, and didn't collaborate or make new songs he'd end up like the New Boyz... A decent fan base, but never talked about anywhere..

I'm not saying having a decent fan base is bad, Lupe Fiasco doesn't have a giant stadium status fan base, but he makes music people want to talk about.. Lil Wayne just doesn't have the lyrical backing to stop using this "method"..

·
Registered
300 Posts
i think a lot of it has to do with the buzz that the music generates (the exact opposite also works. look at jay electronica).  if people dont like the the music, then putting out a lot of it wont make a difference.

so yeah, i think it's effective.  but only if you have "it"

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
RelaxRelapse said:
Being a musician and a just a music lover in general I agree with what you said..

I don't necessarily like it when people use this method, but I'm impressed. I think the reason Lil Wayne stays so popular is because of how me makes music. The New Boyz had one or two big singles and I haven't heard from them since. While Lil Wayne continues to pump out new music over and over. If he just stopped after Lollipop, back in 08 or whenever, and didn't collaborate or make new songs he'd end up like the New Boyz... A decent fan base, but never talked about anywhere..

I'm not saying having a decent fan base is bad, Lupe Fiasco doesn't have a giant stadium status fan base, but he makes music people want to talk about.. Lil Wayne just doesn't have the lyrical backing to stop using this "method"..
Hmm,well said. :clap:

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
lil wayne songs LEAKED in 2007-2009

he didnt just drop a million mixtapes the rest of the song were features

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
i dont mind artist pumpin out music quick as long as it sounds good, but if there just pumping out a bunch of shit then it's wack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts