Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
jacob said:
there's a bit of social symbolism in that a white woman serves a table consisting of only black people in the dinner scene.
i noticed that too, i thought that they would have been dressed in black suit to highlight the choice more...

·
Registered
432 Posts
jacob said:
there's a bit of social symbolism in that a white woman serves a table consisting of only black people in the dinner scene.
It jumped to my eyes the first time I saw it! But what about the AOTL scene : the huge MJ was creepy IMO, and the KKK hoody in black?, the two huge things in black and white (link to MJ?)

·
Registered
2 Posts
kari_801 said:
It jumped to my eyes the first time I saw it! But what about the AOTL scene : the huge MJ was creepy IMO, and the KKK hoody in black?, the two huge things in black and white (link to MJ?)
that wasnt the KKK dude. It's what people wear in Spain during Holy Week.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
This had nothing to do with race or racism. It was just looked at in an art perspective and color scheme.

The part with MJ was kinda cool TBH. I believe, and this is my own opinion, that the giant MJ head surrounded by men in red hoods, was to portray all the negative surrounding MJ's career. Kanye wanted to show the Phoenix who he believes is the biggest icon in the world, arguably Michael Jackson, who some would say is even more popular than Jesus Christ himself.

Just my opinion. I think it was very well thought out.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
jamsta121 said:
the people running with the red flares?
The smoke is a symbol of one's personal thoughts and beliefs. No one can change your mind about your feelings towards any subject. Your thoughts & beliefs, aka "smoke from a torch"

·
Registered
47,303 Posts
jamsta121 said:
What tripped me out was when he said dont listen or belive (cant member) what you hear on tv
It's kinda true tbh. Everyday I watch CNN, and most of the time, the headline can really mess up your day.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
the whole intro wtf was nicki manaj saying?? sounding like some sort of personal christion faith thing.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
This mason shit is stupid, let it go... Kanye already addressed all of this anyway....

Runaway The Movie
I hope you guys know the movie is about Kanye career after the VMA'S how he was at his ultimate low and is now back and better than he has ever been. This is what the movie is based upon. Not that he is Jesus or in the Illuminati or a Mason or worships the Devil. None of the bullshit in this thread.

Dinner Table
The Dinner table represents society and during this scene they treated him and his girl as outcast. They didn't embrace Kanye or the Phoenix at all. Meaning that society tears down things that are different. So no Jesus Anti-Christ thing.

White Women serving all Blacks:
If it was the other way around no one would have gave a fuck but haters just want to say Kanye's racist. He said that one of the producers suggest the seen and casted everyone because of the colors used in the scene. Dark skinned people dressed in  all white. The servant happened to be white and wore black for contrast. Kanye didn't have anything to do with the supposed racism and the person who did it was white.

Kid with the Flare:
Prior to the Kid wearing the hood he was running with the flare. That symbolized freedom and free spirit . Then the kid came into contact with the cult with the MJ head,  which represented pop culture, or are society in general. The scene was to symbolize Kanye introducing the Phoenix to his life and are world. As the scene was ending the kid has the hood and walking slow and that symbolized that the kid was now apart of what everyone else believed and that he joined  their culture, and began believing what others say.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
J O N E S  B E A C H said:
This mason shit is stupid, let it go... Kanye already addressed all of this anyway....

White Women serving all Blacks:
If it was the other way around no one would have gave a fuck but haters just want to say Kanye's racist. He said that one of the producers suggest the seen and casted everyone because of the colors used in the scene. Dark skinned people dressed in  all white. The servant happened to be white and wore black for contrast. Kanye didn't have anything to do with the supposed racism and the person who did it was white.
There are certainly some people who've gone over board and said this was racist. I'd say it isn't and that wasn't my initial reaction to it. But that isn't to say there can't be some symbolic discussion about the setup. Is it likely it's just there for color contrast? Sure. But for someone who has touched on the issue of slavery and social inequities throughout his career, and has unwaveringly mentioned the numerous amount of symbolism of the film, we'd be remiss to not consider the potential symbolism.

Once again, we'd be foolish to say it's a racist undertone, but we'd be foolish to disregard the meaning it could hold symbolically.

·
Premium Member
53,595 Posts
mmonty86 said:
There are certainly some people who've gone over board and said this was racist. I'd say it isn't and that wasn't my initial reaction to it. But that isn't to say there can't be some symbolic discussion about the setup. Is it likely it's just there for color contrast? Sure. But for someone who has touched on the issue of slavery and social inequities throughout his career, and has unwaveringly mentioned the numerous amount of symbolism of the film, we'd be remiss to not consider the potential symbolism.

Once again, we'd be foolish to say it's a racist undertone, but we'd be foolish to disregard the meaning it could hold symbolically.
There is no "symbolism" to discuss. It's simply an obvious role reversal of the past. Nothing more.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Shy said:
There is no "symbolism" to discuss. It's simply an obvious role reversal of the past. Nothing more.
I'm not saying there is. I'm just saying we shouldn't discount it.  The point is this, regardless of what is said about it, people will interpret it any way they want and that's the point.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Yes its true that Kanye has touched racial issues in his music, and I applaud him for that, but Kanye stated he didn't cast the people for the scene, or he didn't come up with the idea. So if there are any racially charged views or ideas in the scene it wasn't form Kanye.

Side thought:
Not directed toward you or anything, just saying why are people labeled as racist because they have strong beliefs about their race, and address issues that happen in African Americans daily life. An example is myself. I have been pulled over 3 times since i turned 18 for no reason. The cops put on the sirens, and pulled me over and after not finding anything they let me go. I have been pulled out of the car and searched and i literally didn't do anything. I wasnt issued a ticket or anything. I wasn't really aware of racism because I grew up going to predominantly white schools and a lot of my friends were white. It wasn't until I started High School, when I began to see and feel racism directed towards me. So as a black male i agree with a lot of Kanyes views, and I like to hear them. It gives me a sense of pride, because in today's society a lot of blacks indulge in negative things because of their environment and the media helps portray this. Conclusion, if Kanye's music is that racist, or so " Pro Black" maybe you guys shouldn't listen to it. Its not like he's saying fuck every race and white people. Its more of lets try to better are race and wake up.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Shy said:
It may be, I didn't really feel that way, so I strongly believe it wasn't.  she poured water!!!! She wasn't picking cotton in a field! Whats the big deal. I went to Denny's today, and me and my girl had a white waitress. Does that make me a racist. Where we suggesting the early 1900's? or a dominant race?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts