Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
64,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't really like the ending tbh, Ellie is the young gawd but if she has to die to save the world, this is something you really must consider. Would of been sad AF to see Ellie died but it would be for good reason :kanyeshrug: Although, the fact that Ellie DIDN'T die made me glad tho. Don't like the game ending the story with Joel lying to Ellie

:work:

·
Registered
73,627 Posts
Ellie is the young god, this is true. Joel is alright as a character.

I don't have a problem with saving her, thats Sarah 2.0 to him and he wasnt about to let her go too. The lying bit made sense, it was in Joels character to do it and I knew it was coming.

When she was reading those comics Ellie said she hates cliffhangers and thats exactly where the game left us. Just gotta wait til the sequel if there is one.

·
Registered
27,986 Posts
What I wrote in the other thread but got buried in MP talk I'm sure. Plus I know now that Ellie did in fact know Joel was lying so my last paragraph could be changed to reflect that but oh well.

The world they live in now is what you are stuck with, 20 years of the virus has destroyed life as they know it and there is no real border between good and bad anymore, you do what you need to, to survive. It's not like a cure would instantly change how these people are they are forever changed. Plus the fireflies would need to somehow mass produce and distribute this cure with what exactly? How can you organize a world that has become so disorganized? A world where there is little trust between anyone and no real means of massively communicating across the world let alone a state. The only thing you can do is come to terms that this may just be the world now and forever.

Joel made one of the hardest decisions you could possibly make but you can't really say whether it was the right or wrong thing to do, was it selfish of him to do what he did by keeping her alive? Maybe. But for 20 years he's been looking for something he could really live for and he found it in Ellie even though he tried his hardest not to get attached. Getting the mission to smuggle her to the fireflies gave him a purpose and then when he awoke from his life threatening injury he went after her, giving him the biggest reason he's had to live for since his daughter died. You could see it once he got to her and held her in his arms and when Spring hit his whole attitude changed, he was the one striking conversation and talking about what they could do together AFTER this was over and then at the Giraffes he tried telling her they could just go back to his brothers and live. He knows about as good as anyone how much this world has changed since the beginning of the outbreak, he's even been on both sides of the survivors to do whatever it took to stay alive to what extent we don't know but we do know that this world is completely different and may have no chance of going back to the way it was before the infection. So was he doing the better thing by not taking a chance at a cure? So he could have a purpose in life again and not lose something he clearly cares so much about? He was going to do whatever it took to keep her safe. To Joel, Ellies life is more valuable to him than those he's encountered on his way and even his very own life - with this changed world where the value on peoples lives means so little a cure to him means nothing if it means taking Ellies life.

Ellie though. Thats another story. She gave her speech at the end about her friend and her being bit by infected together and how they would just go crazy with infection together and just let it happen, her friend died - she did not. She's felt like she was always going to die eventually that she deserved to die as her friend died so when she found out she wasn't going to die from this infection she was willing to go give her life for the possibility of a cure because she had basically already died when she got biten by the infected. So many people died on their journey to find the fireflies that they needed to die for a reason - it couldn't all just be for nothing. But the beauty of the game and the tragedy of it is that the reason everything happened was to give Joel something to live for and for Ellie to have someone she could trust and would never leave her. They both have reasons to live now because of one another. I don't know if she believes his lie about the fireflies or not but it could just be a way of the both of them letting it go and moving on with their lives and letting everything that happened be forgotten. If Joel can live with the fact that their whole journey together was ultimately about Joel and her finding a reason to survive and keep on living then maybe she can be Okay with that, even if it means a potential cure for the infection is lost.

·
Registered
27,986 Posts
Basically, she knows he was lying. ND confirmed this when talking about the ending.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/06/18/major-spoilers-naughty-dog-talks-the-last-of-us-beginning-ending-and-slightly-alternate-ending/

"The original ending that for a long time we discussed is Ellie would believe the lie and you'd see them walking off to Tommy's town and the camera would track up and you'd feel like, they're going to be okay. It was about a week before we shot that scene and we thought, this isn't honest, this doesn't feel right, Ellie would know, I don't buy it, we have to change this."

·
Registered
63,679 Posts
mattandr3ws said:
Basically, she knows he was lying. ND confirmed this when talking about the ending.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/06/18/major-spoilers-naughty-dog-talks-the-last-of-us-beginning-ending-and-slightly-alternate-ending/

"The original ending that for a long time we discussed is Ellie would believe the lie and you'd see them walking off to Tommy's town and the camera would track up and you'd feel like, they're going to be okay. It was about a week before we shot that scene and we thought, this isn't honest, this doesn't feel right, Ellie would know, I don't buy it, we have to change this."
I read somewhere that if ND were to make a sequel, it would be around new characters.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
i was gonna make this thread yesterday lol glad you made it, i didn't mind the ending, they just leaving it open ended in case they make another, game was great, very emotional, was like watching a movie.

·
Registered
72,153 Posts
Made me sad, but I felt that Joel couldn't let Ellie go so it was understandable. ND made the characters really likeable and you have a really good connection with them so I was really happy they didn't die.

I think if they were to make a sequel I think the story would somehow incorporate the lie Joel told Ellie.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
It's supposed to tear you apart. Joel lies straight to Ellie's face. It shows his imperfections. Even though Ellie would have died to save others, Joel simply cannot lose her. He's selfish and is afraid of being alone, but won't tell her that. He's not perfect, but that ending damn near was.

·
Banned
165,645 Posts
carlgriffiths said:
It's supposed to tear you apart. Joel lies straight to Ellie's face. It shows his imperfections. Even though Ellie would have died to save others, Joel simply cannot lose her. He's selfish and is afraid of being alone, but won't tell her that. He's not perfect, but that ending damn near was.
really sad in that regard

especially when part of you wants ellie to believe the lie so she can be happy like joel

·
Premium Member
102,791 Posts
Loved it. Joel made a selfish choice but Joel is a selfish and conflicted character. The game clearly demonstrated that Joel was NOT a good person. Having an "I am Legend" dies to save the world ending would be corny and cliche imo. The Last of Us is about a broken world and the broken people who endure and survive in that world, it's full of questionable moral choices and even pure evil. I think it's great the in the ending the game didn't compromise that premise.

·
Registered
27,986 Posts
D-Sizzle said:
I read somewhere that if ND were to make a sequel, it would be around new characters.
This story has been told, I don't see whats left to say. They are going to go survive and live with his brother. Unless you do a more grown up Ellie I don't see why you couldn't just do different characters.

Although, I think it would be fun to play as Joel in the earlier years or instead of jumping through the Seasons in a year, you jump through years of his life in those first 20 years or something. Maybe switch off between those years and playing as a more grown up Ellie or something.

·
Registered
72,153 Posts
mattandr3ws said:
This story has been told, I don't see whats left to say. They are going to go survive and live with his brother. Unless you do a more grown up Ellie I don't see why you couldn't just do different characters.

Although, I think it would be fun to play as Joel in the earlier years or instead of jumping through the Seasons in a year, you jump through years of his life in those first 20 years or something. Maybe switch off between those years and playing as a more grown up Ellie or something.
Tbh I got really attached to the characters and I would be kind of sad if they had new characters. Kind of weird I know, but the story was really good and the acting was superb.

·
Premium Member
81,191 Posts
NiceLikeChrist said:
Joel is alright as a character.
***** wut :bitchgtfo:

joel > ellie

he did everything to protect her, if it was me i wouldve done the same, even the lying tbh
even if she knows, that its probably a lie, it still was better than saying that they needed to kill her to have the possibility for a cure

·
Premium Member
81,191 Posts
Mr. Yeezus said:
wed need a sequel
but i think itd be really powerful to end it on this note
yea it definitely has more impact leaving the ending as is

i would prefer a prequel or a game in the same universe as last of us, maybe even playing at the same time as joel and ellie but playing as other characters

·
Premium Member
72,473 Posts
You can easily make another story with Ellie and Joel.

Tommy's town get taken over they get ran out of the place.

·
Premium Member
72,473 Posts
You can even start the game as Ellie sleeping or Joel sleeping in the town when shit starts to go down :kanyeshrug:

1 - 20 of 201 Posts