Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone thinks people will dig your track just cuz it says "Produced by the Neptunes / Timbaland / whoever" on it. Nah.

Only about 20% of people who listen to hip hop know what a producer is. Out of that group, only 25% care. Made up numbers obviously but the point is hardly anyone cares who produced your track.

A good track beats a good name every time.

And let's be real, producers are at artists' mercy at all levels, even at the top (exception is if you're a producer and a marquee artist as well like Kanye or Dr. Dre).

Wayne (or any big artist) could set up a website where producers can upload beats for potential usage on their albums with the agreement that they accept a $1000 lump sum free for their track and give up all their back-end (publishing) and mad people would accept that offer and the beats would still be just as good as his last project.

If you disagree explain why.

I'm not saying big names don't have hot shit. They do. But the name alone isn't as powerful as everyone thinks. Plus I've heard shit from unknown producers that can compete with the best in the game like Kanye, DJ Khalil, Darkchild, B. Cox, etc.

·
Registered
24,512 Posts
HarlemDiplomats said:
Everyone thinks people will dig your track just cuz it says "Produced by the Neptunes / Timbaland / whoever" on it. Nah.

Only about 20% of people who listen to hip hop know what a producer is. Out of that group, only 25% care. Made up numbers obviously but the point is hardly anyone cares who produced your track.

A good track beats a good name every time.

And let's be real, producers are at artists' mercy at all levels, even at the top (exception is if you're a producer and a marquee artist as well like Kanye or Dr. Dre).

Wayne (or any big artist) could set up a website where producers can upload beats for potential usage on their albums with the agreement that they accept a $1000 lump sum free for their track and give up all their back-end (publishing) and mad people would accept that offer and the beats would still be just as good as his last project.

If you disagree explain why.

I'm not saying big names don't have hot shit. They do. But the name alone isn't as powerful as everyone thinks. Plus I've heard shit from unknown producers that can compete with the best in the game like Kanye, DJ Khalil, B. Cox (R&B) etc.
K cool

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Yes, you are correct, the final track is what makes the song, not just the name behind the track.  But, the track has a better chance at being better overall when a well known producer like the Neptunes is producing it.  It also helps with attracting various fan bases towards one track in hopes to create new fans. 

This was sort of achieved with "Trouble On My Mind" by Pusha T and Tyler, The Creator.  The Neptunes producing tag brought in Neptunes fans (although most neptunes fans are already fans of Pusha, but not all).  I don't know how many times I saw "I don't like Tyler but this track is raw" on the internet, hence it was the start of him bringing in new fans.

·
Banned
15,331 Posts
Buck said:
Yes, you are correct, the final track is what makes the song, not just the name behind the track.  But, the track has a better chance at being better overall when a well known producer like the Neptunes is producing it.  It also helps with attracting various fan bases towards one track in hopes to create new fans. 

This was sort of achieved with "Trouble On My Mind" by Pusha T and Tyler, The Creator.  The Neptunes producing tag brought in Neptunes fans (although most neptunes fans are already fans of Pusha, but not all).  I don't know how many times I saw "I don't like Tyler but this track is raw" on the internet, hence it was the start of him bringing in new fans.
logical ether

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buck said:
But, the track has a better chance at being better overall when a well known producer like the Neptunes is producing it.
Hardly
Dr. Dre's tracks for 50 Cent recently have all been duds
His shit with Cardiak is becoming more successful than his recent Dre records

People who talk about hip hop on internet forums/blogs are like 1% of rap listeners
In the real world even the Neptunes aren't well known (Pharrell is as an artist but that's different)

·
Registered
26,436 Posts
HarlemDiplomats said:
Wayne paying his producers for the beat? :hah:

·
Registered
82,518 Posts
Buck said:
Good point

too bad a lot of those fans were saying Pusha cant rap :cmon:

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Buck said:

This.

I'm one of those people. My love of the beat overshadows my dislike for Tyler's verses.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lavender Blonde said:
This.

I'm one of those people. My love of the beat overshadows my dislike for Tyler's verses.
The masses who decide whether a song is successful or not don't give a fuck about who produced a track

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
HarlemDiplomats said:
The masses who decide whether a song is successful or not don't give a fuck about who produced a track
Eh, you're right. The majority of music listeners won't bother to find out who produced a track but it still helps in attracting the smaller fan bases, which adds to the success...

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Elbees Bitch said:
"Hey you know Nas is working with saleem remi?"

No hype

"Hey you know Nas is working with Kanye"

Supreme hype
It won't sell the album or get his singles to pop tho
It'll get the internet nerds buzzing but the actual effect in the REAL world is minimal at best unless the music is just buzzworthy which is a totally different issue

·
Banned
260,958 Posts
HarlemDiplomats said:
It won't sell the album or get his singles to pop tho
It'll get the internet nerds buzzing but the actual effect in the REAL world is minimal at best unless the music is just buzzworthy which is a totally different issue
Idk he would prolly chart higher with Ye production.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts