Kanye to The banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

· Registered
7,559 Posts
Also, my post is only relevant if you define a classic as a truly masterful and amazing piece of work.  Not classic as in....slightly aged and brings about good memories when you listen to it.

F+L = 5/5 stars
The Cool = 4/5 stars
1/15 part 1 = 4/5
1/15 part 2 = 5/5
1/15 part 3 = 3/5(experimental and fun)
EOTS = 5/5(short perfection?)
Lasers = ?!?!?!?!?!!

· Registered
2,003 Posts
The Cool > FnL - They are both great albums lyrically and they both have in my opinion different feels to them... The Cool just resonates with me a little more than FnL, and yes it is a classic!.... and I like what was said earlier... FnL + The Cool = LASERS!!

· Registered
10,605 Posts
Versa said:
4 out of 5 stars

F+L is better in my opinion.

1.  The Cool doesn't know what it wants to be sometimes.  Is it a concept album, or is it just an album with a lot of good tracks?  It tries to be both and the result is awkward.

2.  Track selection.  While I think  Go Baby is a cool song and all, it is  the absolute worst choice possible to end an album that is supposed to be dark in tone.  I mean, what?  It's like Atlantic didn't understand Lupe's vision and just slapped this on at the end and figured "cool, this will work" when it fails miserably.  Also, Gotta Eat is a bit awkward in my opinion, too.  These two would have been great bonus tracks, but takes away from the atmosphere of the album.  I'm not saying it should have all been dark.  Paris Tokyo and Gold Watch work very well with the atmosphere, but these two just don't TO ME.

3.  Accessibility/Fun.  Simply put, F+L is just a more enjoyable and engaging listen than The Cool in my opinion.  While I appreciate and understand the appeal of songs like Little Weapon and Gotta Eat, these songs are tunes I am rarely in a mood to listen to.  The beats aren't all that catchy, or the lyrics don't suck me in like other songs might. 

With these 3 things, I still love The Cool and think it's a fantastic album, but F+L excels in all 3 of these categories in my opinion and is a true 5 star classic.  We'll see what happens with LASERS
This.
There is a bit too much of the album that I don't like.  While it excels in many aspects, there are certain things about it that make it feel off:  The production on "Gotta Eat" is screwy.  While I enjoy "Little Weapon" for the most part, I cringe everytime that hook comes alive; that hook is one of the worst I've heard.  Like you said overall, there are too many tracks that seem out of place and IMO, despite it being a "concept" type album, it is not cohesive at all; it's all over the place.

Don't crucify me though, because I still generally enjoy it and give it a 4/5.  I just can't call it a classic when I enjoy --for the most part-- his mixtapes over "The Cool".

· Registered
1,837 Posts
du said:
The Cool> Big Seans & Wale's career
Cmon both of them are decent. why cant you send your shots to the Flockas and lil b's of the world :sarc2:

· Registered
1,837 Posts
^add gold watch & hi definition to that and we have the same list

· Registered
18,014 Posts
Versa it seems like your statement is highly based of your individual feelings about the album. Which kind of takes away from the post because it seems like your trying to make a general assessment of it.

· Registered
68 Posts
Some weeks its The Cool more others its Food & Liquor.
My taste changes according to how often I listen to an album during the week.

G

·
FiascoFrenzy said:
End of story. Go away if you don't think so.

When nearly three years after its release, not one person fully understands the entirety of The Cool, The Game, and The Streets, that's just amazing. Best concept album hands down, no question.

Plus Ridiculous lyricism and solid flow. Classic.
Classic? Yes.
Solid flow? Are you kidding?? Flow was ridiculous

The Cool flow/breath control >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> F&L flow/breath control
The poor breath control is the only shortcoming on F&L

Both are classics. I need to re-listen to The Cool to judge between the two, though.

· Registered
7,559 Posts
2001 said:
Versa it seems like your statement is highly based of your individual feelings about the album. Which kind of takes away from the post because it seems like your trying to make a general assessment of it.
Lol, what else would my post be based off of?  Every one hears music different and values different aspects of it more than others.  Not trying to be jerk, but what exactly do you expect of someone giving their take on an album?

The album is good, but not a classic in my opinion, and I'm a gigantic Lupe fan.  Just keeping it real.  It's not as fun of a listen as F+L.  The songs aren't as appealing and I don't like the production as much.

· Registered
7,559 Posts
and Lupe's breath control was definitely way better on The Cool.  Breath control was the only thing that kinda hurt F+L a little bit, but only for a like one or two songs.  For example., Lupe's breath control on Hurt Me Soul is painful at times once someone pointed it out to me.  However, the song is so beautifully crafted from the lyrics to the hook to the beat that the weird gasping noises don't really take away from it.  In fact, I'd say it kinda adds to it.

Flow wise it's a tie IMO.  Lupe's flow is incredible on both.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.